A Tale of Nine Balance Pipes - Journey COMPLETE!!

By now it appears some of you may have noticed that the Derwent Mark 8 is once again for sale. The owner has confirmed that this is not the correct engine for the balance pipes used on Obi-Wan's lightsaber. Marv and I have both verified this for him. Attached are the pictures as confirmation, so there is no need to contact him regarding it unless you just want to purchase an engine or just chat with a nice man from Derby.

Attachments

• IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 183
I would like to preface this post by saying this is not an interest thread.

While it was disappointing to find out that the ebay engine did not have the correct parts, another engine was found at the same time. After discussions with the owner, he was able to open it up and confirmed it was the correct engine. I posted a couple of preview pictures in my build thread showing a new flame tube, a Rolls Royce Derwent 8 plaque where the 8 had been crossed out and a 9 stamped in its place. It was very exciting to have found another, but it still made me quite nervous to ship all 18 balance pipes to my door. The tracking stalled twice! Once when I needed to provide importer records, and once again to inform me I would need to pay duties.

In the end everything worked out great. I had quite the cache in my basement for a few days :D, but now most of them are out the door to their new owners. This is why I said it's not an interest thread. You may see one or two pop up sometime in the future, but probably not from me. For now the female balance pipes are all spoken for. Many/most of the males are on their way to Roman for some special procedures.

Now, on with the pictures!

Attachments

• image21.JPG
    image21.JPG
    975.7 KB · Views: 226
  • image20.JPG
    image20.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 264
  • image17.jpeg
    image17.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 223
  • image15.jpeg
    image15.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 236
  • image10.jpeg
    image10.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 219
That´s brilliant

you must have felt like Indiana Jones, finding the holy grail :cool
Thanks for the pictures..I think I will make the 9 female BPs my desktop background for a while ;)

That's awesome! Hell, I'd love to tear one of those engines apart. Are the burner cans in good shape?
Heres a photo of a totally different engine being tested. It's an SR-71 engine being tested at full afterburn.
image.jpeg

I would like to preface this post by saying this is not an interest thread.

While it was disappointing to find out that the ebay engine did not have the correct parts, another engine was found at the same time. After discussions with the owner, he was able to open it up and confirmed it was the correct engine. I posted a couple of preview pictures in my build thread showing a new flame tube, a Rolls Royce Derwent 8 plaque where the 8 had been crossed out and a 9 stamped in its place. It was very exciting to have found another, but it still made me quite nervous to ship all 18 balance pipes to my door. The tracking stalled twice! Once when I needed to provide importer records, and once again to inform me I would need to pay duties.

In the end everything worked out great. I had quite the cache in my basement for a few days :D, but now most of them are out the door to their new owners. This is why I said it's not an interest thread. You may see one or two pop up sometime in the future, but probably not from me. For now the female balance pipes are all spoken for. Many/most of the males are on their way to Roman for some special procedures.

Now, on with the pictures!

Gender reassignment surgery?

Very cool photos. Extremely cool. Downright absolute zero :)

Excellent work guys!

Thanks guys. It was pretty exciting! I did have Roman, Scott, David, and John in constant communication to make sure this went well. I need to thank those guys for their support in getting this done and more balance pipes in the hands of other rpfers.

Hey Gang! Has anyone seen the engine in the wreckage scene near the end of Guardians of the Galaxy? Saw it for the second time last night on TV, there's some sort of similar jet engine in the debris! If you have the DVD/Blu-Ray, could you post up some pics? It'd be fun to see what kind of engine it was.

And congratulations teecrooz on your Rolls Royce engine score! I wonder if y'all are going to clean then up, or install them as-is with their original weathering?

I'm very fortunate to have gotten one of the new 9 female BPs.
Special thanks to Mugatu and Teecrooz without who's help, completing this journey never would have happened.

I thought I'd post some detailed pics here and hope others will too.
There was a lot of sooty build up on this one and it reeked of jet fuel. It cleaned up nicely with just a dry paper towel but I probably won't do anything crazy to it from here other than some water based paint washes that can clean off easily as my build is a weathered version. I really like the dings this one has. Very happy with it.
IMG_9643.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_9642.JPG
IMG_9653.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back