Rather buy Original/Screen-Used Props or Replicas?

Personally I used to enjoy making replicas whether it be from scratch or from kits but it does take me a ridiculously long time due to work and other commitments. However, I still get the kick out of improving my skills or learning how to do something new when I find a spare hour or two.

I also have an okay-ish screen used/production used collection with pieces from X-men, 300, Gladiator, I, Robot, Troy, Flash Gordon, Star Wars, The Chronicles of Riddick, Starship Troopers and Stargate SG-1.

Last edited:
I only buy original items
Everything is from Stargate SG1, Atlantis, or Universe

I tend to go for the really cool stuff which means Ive spent 200 k in 18 months

But I can well appreciate that many people just dont have the budget to shell out 10 k for the DHD, or 7k on the two ancients Drones for example - which is why I've got two props guys from here on the RPF making replicas from my screen used pieces (so vast that I wont even attempt to list it) - As for me its such a shame when people buy iconic props and nobody can then feel the joy at holding them, or their direct lineage descendants again

Stefan

Hi, so I was just curious about what other collectors' preferences are. Do you guys prefer buying screen-used/production/original props or replicas?

Of course replicas have the luxury of being props that you might not be able to obtain the original of (impossible to get or is way too expensive). But at the same time, there are lots of replicas that people buy that are quite expensive already. Would you rather hang onto that money that you could have spent on a replica and invest that money into an original prop? Or do you prefer having a larger quantity in your collection, so would rather spend that money on many replicas rather than one expensive screen-used one?

[deleted]

What about you guys?

Okay I'm resurrecting another thread...hands down I prefer originals to replicas. If I did cosplay or some sort of re-enactment I'd want a good replica for that (to protect the production-used item of course). But since I don't, I'd rather have an original screen-used item.

Now for the bonus round...do you prefer props or costumes? In other words someone offers you ONE item of your choice from your production of choice (a holy grail)...it can be any one thing. Would you pick a prop item or a costume item and why?

Costume. I want either a cowl from Batman Forever, Batman & Robin or the entire Robin suit from either film but prefer the Batman&Robin one.

drftfan, good choice! A Batman cowl is a pretty iconic prop! The Robin suit's are pretty good too but maybe not quite as instantly recognizable as a Batman cowl!

I would love to have the money for screen used props. I do have a few but I also love props that are cast from originals or from original moulds as it's the next best thing.
I recently started a facebook group page called "Screen used movie prop replicas". After seeing how much items went for at the Propstore auction I thought it would be good for people to show off or sell the very next best thing. Most of us can't afford £160k for a Batman costume. As much as I'd have loved to.

Spoons let's just say that I could either live in a house or have a mortgage on and live in a Batman costume...at that kind of price I think I'll choose the house.

Would you pick a prop item or a costume item and why?

For me, I'd rather pick a prop. I've always love hand props over costumes, but I don't quite know why. I think it's mainly because if I have an original costume, I definitely wouldn't wanna wear it to avoid ruining it. And I'd probably just keep it on display, like on a mannequin. But if it's a hand prop, I can at least hold it in my hands like the character did. :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back