Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 15 June - eye lenses and shutters

Re: Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 7 April 2016 - Major reworking

I'm now trying to fit new upper tubes but it's proving impossible to get them in the correct shape and at the correct angle, and to match the tubes on the neck. I think it's going to be easier to match the neck tubes to the face rather than the other way round.

Your commitment and ATD on this is nothing short of breath taking!

Rich

...You're my guinea pig for this procedure so I'm glad it's working out lol!...

I was thinking the same :lol
Marcus is such a stickler for accuracy, that I totally rely on his expertise and WIP-pictures, when I´ll finally proceed with mine :cool
Can´t thank you enough buddy for this well documented build...so inspiring :thumbsup

Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 10 April 2016 - New tubes.

Got a lot done this weekend. First I started fixing the incorrect details where the cheeks meet the nose (this casting had been altered) and the eyebrows which were too thin. These are still WIP.
kbrev202.jpg

kbrev203.jpg

Once again the rails/grooves were no longer working so I had to reshape one groove. That's the fourth time I've had to do this. You'd think once would be enough!
kbrev210.jpg

Added the new tubes which was harder than I thought it would be. I went with two pieces on the face as this is the only way to explain the seam on the original, and it makes it easier to line everything up. This took many, many attempts!
kbrev204.jpg

kbrev205.jpg

kbrev206.jpg

kbrev207.jpg

kbrev208.jpg

kbrev209.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 10 April 2016 - New tubes.

Looking really great bud.

With your attention to detail... I can't wait to see this thing finished!

Re: Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 10 April 2016 - New tubes.

I'll try most props from the SW universe but this is way, way out of my league.

Awesome work man!

Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 15 April - Tusk tubes and eyebrow/nose details

Thank you everyone.

I got a bit more done this week. Still some clean up to do on the tube seams once the Milliput dries but nearly there.
kbrev211.jpg

kbrev212.jpg

kbrev213.jpg

kbrev216.jpg

And I got Vader's left 'eyebrow' reshaped and lengthened and widened the grooves on the bridge of the nose.

after:
kbrev214.jpg

before:
kbrev215.jpg

I'll try most props from the SW universe but this is way, way out of my league.

Awesome work man!

Last edited:
Re: Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 15 April 2016 - Tusk tubes / eyebrow/nose de

Looks great mate. It's hard to believe this is the same mask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 30 June 2016 - Fixing some stuff

Still had a big gap at the left side of the mouth which I can't believe I had let go before.
kbrev209b.jpg

A bit of filling and reshaping.
kbrev216b.jpg

kbrev217.jpg

Much better.
kbrev218.jpg

Also had some help from Gonk27 to get the two asymmetrical sides looking right. The area where the tube meets the mouth is completely different on both sides.
kbrev219.jpg

kbrev220.jpg

kbrev221.jpg

Wasn't happy with the way the tubes lined up on the left side.
kbrev222.jpg

Re-did that side.
kbrev223.jpg

Much better!
kbrev226.jpg

Still got to refine the back ends of the upper tubes, then it's onto the crown redux.
kbrev225.jpg

Re: Kurtyboy's new Vader Reveal project. 30 June 2016 - Fixing some stuff

Great work,Marcus!Is the "Piz Buin" on the right side your new weathering secret?:cool:lol

Your work is always so clean!!

Wow Marcus it's looking FAB If mine turns out half as good as yours on my first attempt I'd be a very happy bunny

This one is going on twelve years old and my second attempt so don't be too hard on your self!

Wow Marcus it's looking FAB If mine turns out half as good as yours on my first attempt I'd be a very happy bunny

Got the new crown done today. I came up with a near fool-proof method of etching the lines which was a bit of hit and miss last time I did it.

The crown is a perfect fit into the underside of Upol Quicksand filler (probably other brands as well). I taped the tin down so it's nice and steady and used a bit of WD40 around the edge so the crown spins freely with little resistance.

Now using the circle cutter (which I taped up to prevent the scale from moving) it's easy to etch a nice even ring. Hold the cutter firmly in one hand and rotate the crown with the other hand. You should practice first on a scrap piece of similar plastic so you know how much pressure to appy. I had three of these in case I messed up but it was perfect first time.

I then drilled/dremelled out the holes.

kbrev228.jpg

kbrev229.jpg

kbrev230.jpg

kbrev231.jpg

kbrev232.jpg

Nice work Marcus
Can I please ask a question regarding your measurements?
If you said yes then thanks, what is the measurement of the inner ring ? I see the outer ring is 11cm from the centre
if you said no then ok I won't ask lol
cheers fella

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back