V for Vendetta belt - WIP

ewigestuden

Hi guys!

J EM and I are in process of making our belts these days. We've got the patterns and the buckles so far, and we are currently looking for somebody with an access to large pieces of leather and tools.

It's still a little unclear how to build in the holders for the daggers. I hope somebody would be willing to share their experience with that.
It would be also great to hear how much you ended up paying for the belt...

Meanwhile, here is a pic of the buckle. It's finely polished 6 mm stainless steel.
I'll be probably adding a piece of flat alu wire as a tongue. (Any better suggestions here?)

IMG_3507.JPG

I hope J EM will find time to post a pic of his paper belt :D It's all kinds of awesome.

e.

Here is a pic of the belt pattern E and I have. It is mainly 3.5" (8.9cm) and tapers to 2 1/8" (5.4cm) towards the ends. V's belt was tailored, so I can't call this screen accurate although I tried my best to make the belt tapered and angled so that it looks like V's.

View attachment 212180

E and I are just V fans, so we're inexperienced to everything required for project. We would appreciate any input we receive as to how we can attach the dagger holders to this belt. :)

Know of any good reference photos of the screen-used belt?

BTW, my buckle arrived and it is perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Just looked at the 12" action figure and it has 2 metal "staples" holding each dagger on the belt. In the film these holders must have been painted black. They could be bent out of aluminum and riveted to the belt.

4uzydepe.jpg

Hmm, what do you mean, they were painted black?

There are many scenes in which the holders are visibly metallic, eg,
pto_OS_TV_110.jpg

I know J's working on the holders these days. Maybe he will have time to tell us how it is going.

I've been trying for a little over an hour cutting the holders out of the thicker aluminum sheet I told you of in emails. I'm afraid I'm starting to think I will be unable to cut these out myself. :(
What I cannot do is cut curved V shape strips. I can cut 1cm straight strips but lets be honest. If I'm going to commission a leatherworker to make the belts I drafted as nice as I could, I'm not going to have some half assed dagger holders on it. I won't have it, E. :p And I don't think you'd want them either.

Lets talk about it more in emails. :p

That's a great photo! The scenes I was looking at must have been so darkly lit that they looked black. Another approach to making these holders would be to sculpt one out of oven bake clay and then make a silicone mold and cast the holders out of white metal, like a gaming figure. They could then be drilled and riveted to the belt. Much easier to sculpt this shape than to cut and bend them out of sheet stock. They would all be identical, also.

I'm not sure pewter would be hard enough to support metal daggers without deformation. I also don't trust myself with getting the surface smooth enough.

I think I can get the shape cut out correctly but seeing that we'll need 24 pieces between J and myself alone, I think I'll have to get a larger sheet of alu o_O

I have also considered ordering them from the same company that laser cut buckles for me but I'm not sure the holders will be worth it...

Are you thinking real steel blades?? I have a set but assumed everyone else would want less lethal blades for convention wear!

I've just ordered two sheets of alu: 1mm for the holders and 2mm for daggers (I might cut the blades out of alu and pour the holders with rubber I still have).

And here's the pin for the buckle:
IMG_3765.JPG

I took a piece of 3mm round alu wire and flattened it with a hammer. Worked like a charm. Now I have to do the same with my polished buckle :D

My daggers are Chinese and came in a case of six, all in individual boxes. There is no brand on the box but you can find them online using the tag Vendetta H-5536.

8ugatyza.jpg

They are stainless steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Ta

My daggers are rubber cast but J's are metal ones with rounded tips.

What daggers do you have, ahoudini? How heavy are they? *nosy*
My daggers are false edged but pointy! wolf's are metal with rounded tips. Once I have the costume done I will try making 3d daggers out of cardboard if I actually wanna go to a convention. I won't be dulling my daggers or rounding the point. ;)

What is the width of your buckle pin near/over the center bar? This way I can jot down on your pattern what size the belt opening hole will be to keep your pin in place.

My daggers are Chinese and came in a case of six, all in individual boxes. There is no brand on the box but you can find them online using the tag Vendetta H-5536.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/17/8ugatyza.jpg

the hanzoswords replica. I find it strange that there is only one production photo where V's daggers have that blade type. :unsure

Uh, I mixed you up with Wolf, sorry J.

I think hanzoswords replicas look great but they seem to be too wide at the crossguard for a girl like me to wear :/

Yep...

My alu sheets have just arrived. They are scratched in some hopefully avoidable spots but the polish is lovely in general.
And now I know that semi-hard alu apparently means "holy crap how am I gonna bend it"-hard o_O lol
The alu wire I used for the buckle pin was way softer.

I still think that the thinner sheet (1 mm) will be just right for the holders - they might require some more effort to bend neatly but will keep their shape well.
I will try to make a dagger blade with a full tail out of the thicker sheet (2 mm) because it seems sturdy enough, and then pour a hilt around it with my remaining rubber (I hope it's not too bubbly yet).

I am not going to be able to cut any of these sheets with metal shears but I was going to buy an inexpensive fretsaw with metal cutting blades anyway.

Here are my first two holders cut out of 1 mm thick alu sheet.

IMG_4107.JPG

The alu looks pretty scratched up close but it's not that bad actually. Still, I'll have to polish the holders after installing them - maybe with leather?

I am also yet to bend any of them. Maybe when I get a really poorly cut piece. But otherwise, I am waiting for the belt to begin any bending.

Hi There, I'm Gino from the Netherlands.Have been busy with my V version , now an then, for a while but never finished because I couldn't find the right dimensions for the belt, and the dagger clips seem like a challenge to make.Many words of respect for the work you've done on the buckle Ewigestuden, it looks awesome,

Hi "J EM", may I ask how you got the measurements for your leatherbelt ? How wide is the belt?did you use the 12"figure as scale?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/17/8ugatyza.jpg

I have the same ones, still have to make them blunt, do yours come in leather sheets?Mine do.

Last edited:
Yes, the leather sheaths are included in my set and are in the picture. V apparently never sat: when sitting, the unsheathed blades on his belt must either plunge into his thighs or push upward out of the holders and fall into his lap!

Yes, the leather sheaths are included in my set and are in the picture. V apparently never sat: when sitting, the unsheathed blades on his belt must either plunge into his thighs or push upward out of the holders and fall into his lap!

Yeah, I was already thinking about how I'd be sitting during the con too!
I'll probably have to take off the whole belt for the duration of the panels...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back