Captain Jack Sparrow OST Costume - Opinions Needed!

xSpades

So I need yer opinions, RPF-goers.
I've been searching ruthlessly online for the best/most screen-accurate Captain Jack Sparrow OST gear I can find, whilst still keeping within a budget of under 2G. (Unless absolutely necessary. Then again, the costume isn't necessary. But where's the fun in that?)
Essentially want to get the most 'bang' for my buck.

I've looked at costumes/equipment/props by Yordreem, Forgotten Seas, ACME, Sithcamaro, sith-world, and numerous others.
But I would really like to hear your opinions!
Best wig? Tricorn? Clothing (waistcoat, shirt, trousers, jacket etc.)? Belt/buckle(s)?
Virtually anything and everything Sparrow-related, I'll be open to feedback on.
Need any listings/links? Just ask.

Things you should know:
I'm currently attempting to grow out my facial hair for the part. (Any tips, guys?)
Buying a pair of CAboots. (Though unclear what customization options would look best)
Also would really appreciate contacts in addition to opinions. =)

Side-note: Whoo, first post! Time for celebratory rum.

Cheers, mates.

-Spades

For the boots, stick to caboots.com
For the hat, belts, baldric and rings I'd talk to Richard at ACME
Jacket, vest, wig I'd talk to Scott at Yordreem.
Stay away from Sithcamaro / sith-world.

Cheers, Taz! =)

Freak: I've heard that the boots CAboots sells now are made with an inaccurate suede and sole now.
Considering I'd be paying a lot of money for the boots, do you know of anywhere else to get them that are more accurate? (Or perhaps a way to tint and weather the suede)
Also have heard that the Yordreem wig is made with wool, which ultimately doesn't look the best. A few of his charms (coptic cross, etc) look a bit iffy from what I can see, too. I'm not sure if that's just me, though.

Why exactly should I stay away from Sith? From what I can tell, he sells accurate stuff made with the same fabrics/prints as the original costume.
Is there something I should know? =/

Thanks for the feedback - open to tons more!

He's unreliable. I haven't ordered from him, but I've heard lots of stories.

So I would echo what's been said before, although if you have the skills to make your own stuff you can seriously cut down the costs. The shirt and pants will run you about $80 in materials if you make them yourself.

Best recommendation for the wig is to make it yourself. Yordreem makes the best wigs I know of for sale and frankly they suck. The OST wig isn't cheap to make right, and its economically not feasible for anyone to make them for sale. The materials to make mine cost $500. But that's top of the line. You can pass on a lot of the stuff in the wig if you don't care. The previous movies' wigs cost half that at most. You can break it down to around $80-100 for the base wig, about $100-150 in kanekalon hair for dreadlocks, and then the rest goes to the junk and wrappings. Making dreads is super fun, though.

So I need yer opinions, RPF-goers.
I've been searching ruthlessly online for the best/most screen-accurate Captain Jack Sparrow OST gear I can find, whilst still keeping within a budget of under 2G. (Unless absolutely necessary. Then again, the costume isn't necessary. But where's the fun in that?)
Essentially want to get the most 'bang' for my buck.

I've looked at costumes/equipment/props by Yordreem, Forgotten Seas, ACME, Sithcamaro, sith-world, and numerous others.
But I would really like to hear your opinions!
Best wig? Tricorn? Clothing (waistcoat, shirt, trousers, jacket etc.)? Belt/buckle(s)?
Virtually anything and everything Sparrow-related, I'll be open to feedback on.
Need any listings/links? Just ask.

Things you should know:
I'm currently attempting to grow out my facial hair for the part. (Any tips, guys?)
Buying a pair of CAboots. (Though unclear what customization options would look best)
Also would really appreciate contacts in addition to opinions. =)

Side-note: Whoo, first post! Time for celebratory rum.

Cheers, mates.

-Spades

Spades, when you do get your costume pieces together, is recommend taking a look at this site. It has a lot of useful info on the Captain Jack costume for every film. It helped me when I assembled mine.

http://jacksparrowcostuming.wikispaces.com/

Risu:
Unreliable in product consistency, or delivery? (or both?)

I unfortunately lack said skills - my abundance in creativity and imagination can do nothing to better this specific situation, sadly.
From what I can tell, Yordreem doesn't sell OST waistcoats (that are in the SA bronze-detailed aubergine) any more. Any ideas where I can get one? (Only place I've seen is sith-world on ebay. Think I should risk it..?)

What is a 'made right' wig? SA?
I'm curious what all your wig has/looks like.. Do you have any pics?
Depending on what I would be passing on, I may or may not. If it's anything super noticeable that most people recognize, I may post-pone it until after Halloween - that is my big debut with this costume. (Though I'll be getting lots of wear out of it prior to and after then, of course).
Depending on how much time is involved to make said wig, I may have to cut some corners. And while I cringe, typing that.. It may be the unfortunate truth.
Do you think it would be feasible for me, someone with absolutely 0 DIY costuming experience, and generally not a hell of a lot of spare time outside of work (ironically the money I'm making is going towards this costume) to make my own wig?
How much better would a wig I made myself be compared to, say, Yordreem's?

Much obliged, by the way.
And apologies for so many bloody questions, everyone!

- - - Updated - - -

Danofsteel:
Thanks! I've already stumbled on that site recently. It's helpful, but the opinions of many are better than the opinion of one site. =P

Here are a couple pictures I took of my wig when I sold it.

The dreads are all made from kanekalon extension hair. There are tutorials around for how to do it, youtube is really helpful. All the wigs for sale that I know of just have wool dreads, which pretty much just look like little snakes made out of felt.

All the wigs for sale that I know of just have wool dreads, which pretty much just look like little snakes made out of felt.

they look that way if the person who makes them doesnt know how to make them properly, or they are a seller and buy mass produced dreads. I have wool dreads, and i have be-dreaded folk fooled and envious

Your best bet is make your own wig mate, its so easy you just have to jump in and give it a go. Loads of tutorials out there and we can help out on here.
Waistcoat i would say if your going OST go for scott maul at SM pillowfort trading company, his is SA. The empire is like £30 cheaper but you wont be happy with it.
Boots definately stick to CAboots.com as they are the original designers and i ordered a pair to the UK which took 10days.
Breeches are quite hard as iv not seen yordreems, but empire do a decent pair and Sara Fay does a screen accurate set that she might ship to US.
I got my shirt from paulette vidos or pauliepoo as known on ebay, she does 2 types: one out of muslin and one in linen, the muslin is £50 roughly and linen around the £100. I went for muslin and tbh nobody has noticed any difference its a fantastic piece.
Sash is hard to come by but i went for empires version and looks perfect, i cannot see any difference from the original other thn what its made of.
Belts are either going to be Acne brand or Simon Newton in the UK, he did my set and theyre excellent.
Hope that helps, ill post a link to a base wig in the UK its what i used and its amazing, already dip dyed in blonde and you will use all of the hair to pull back to the rear braid.
http://bit.ly/1aEO6Ov

o6y1HDF.jpg

I don't think they look snakey :(

They look a lot better than Yordreem's. I'm still not really a fan. Certainly a good choice for the early movies, but I don't think it works as well for OST.

i agree with you about that. The light dreads are obviously not very dreaded. I did start out using undeadmonkey's kanekalon technique, but i personally don't agree with the shine it has , or the ropey, twisted look of the dreads.
this is my third wig, the second one having been the OST version, which was a mix of wool/kanekalon, but i just dont like the OST wig, and I found that most of my ..audience hadn't noticed the change in the movies. so, i downgraded to an upgrade.

Bloody hell, I've been busy these past few weeks. Sorry, guys!

Mother's love.. Those wigs are beautiful!
I agree with Risu entirely - the OST wig is a bit more 'Jack'(ed?. Sorry.. Couldn't resist the wordplay!) than the others in the sense that it's every bit as random and trinkety as the man himself.
I don't suppose there would be a somewhat inexpensive way to get someone to make the wig for me instead?
The majority of wig trinkets I can skimp on for now. The important part I think is getting realistic-looking dreads.

I've also decided due to budget constraints I'm going to take some shortcuts costume-wise until I have more money to upgrade pieces.
Toy sword and toy compass (antiqued by my mother - bless the tides for her amazing artistic abilities!), non-SA pistol borrowed from a friend, going without a tricorn, and MR rings. All this is FOR THE TIME BEING ONLY.

Made this myself, including all the beads. This is not done. I have some custom dreads on the way and a few more trinkets to add but total cost was under 90USD.
0806131717.jpg0809132304.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back