EFX reveals BOBA FETT LEGEND, STORMTROOPER LEGEND, STORMTROOPER ARMOR!!!!

Well, yeh but being its smooth and there are chips filled in cracks not there...how close is it REALLY to the ESB now. Its lineage is ESB sure, but how watered down? And how watered down will the actual product be? Follow me?

No... I don't follow you at all. What you are seeing at SDCC has this lineage.

Original helmet cast.
Master pulled.
Master lightly sanded to remove paint. Cracks (most of which are from AFTER the filming of ESB) removed/filled.
Master cast.
Prototype pulled and brought to SDCC.

There is NO watering down. The helmet is a direct casting, with the lightest sanding possible to remove the paint layer and damage from AFTER the film removed (and one crack that can be seen during filming removed as well). There has never been anything even remotely close to this and because of the LFL sale, there never will be again.... and you are complaining?

Our internet connection here at SDCC is just horrendous. I am sure Gino will chime in when he gets back, but I can give you the general gist of what he is going to tell you.

What you are essentially asking for is an unmodified copy from the mold. There a couple of reasons this isn't feasible, and most of it stems back to the fact that eFX is a business, selling large quantities of items to the general public. Also, it is simply a matter of practicality.

So let's talk about it a bit since I have been in your shoes and asked the same questions.

First, you have to remember that the way the ESB helmet looks today is NOT the way it looked during filming. Over the years, the surface of the helmet has developed a number of cracks that weren't there at the time of filming. There is a very prominent crack up the temple of the left hand side that wasn't there as well. eFX wants to offer the ESB helmet as it was... not as it is. So... those issues have to be corrected.

Beyond that, there is also "texture" on the surface of the helmet due to the many layers of paint and weathering. No matter what anyone believes, even the most masterful painter couldn't use those and paint over the existing paint marks with new paint and make anything but a muddled mess. That means that in addition to the cracks being removed, the surface of the helmet has to be ever-so-lightly sanded to remove the thin layer of paint and take the helmet back down to the smooth surface. Many believe that the surface of the helmets have physical damage on them (primarily because of the dremeling that Don Post did on their helmets) but that is not true. Below the paint, the ESB helmet is smooth. There is no texture or damage except in 3 of 4 key places (all of which was left intact).

Now.... about production in China. You have to realize the people ultimately making these helmets don't know who Boba Fett is and wouldn't care. They don't know what a damage mark it and see that as a casting flaw. eFX has to go to the factory and provide insanely detailed instructions on EVERY SINGLE SCRATCH they want left in place to ensure the factory doesn't assume it is simply a casting flaw and putty it in. This is a very tedious thing to do, but that is how it is handled. To give them a mold that was covered with surface texturing (from the paint) would cause their heads to explode. It would also look absolutely ridiculous once they had repainted the helmet.

Now, you might ask, why they can't offer something less touched up just for us. The truth is, you would still have the same production issues, and there simply aren't enough people here, who would want a helmet like that to be financially justifiable, not to mention Lucasfilm would never approve a product that they felt looked terrible and broken, no matter how accurate it actually was.

Agreed.

I don't understand why it must be "cleaned up" at all. We'd all prefer seeing every single detail.

Gino can you educate us as to WHY is has to be less than a direct cast with masterful paint?

About the Boba Fett helmet .
If this also will be offered in the legend line, does that means it will also have the screen accurate interior and working rangefinder with LED's?

I don't think they are allowed to leave the interior raw fiberglass, due to safety concerns. :( Not their call to make unfortunately.

I do believe there will be working electronics, but if you are asking will they try to match the original boards/battery holders seen inside the helmet.... unlikely.

Any word on when the Fett helmet and Stormtooper statue kit will be up for pre-order or is it to early to talk about that yet?

Thanks Art, your replies are always so well thought out and put together. I guess some people want it as seen in ESB, and some would LOVE to see it as seen in Special Edition...WITH that crack. But we cant all get what we want right? Hopefully the color choices and such and the final product turn out what we all dream of. Thanks again. This is going to be a hot topic for some time. Cant wait to see where it goes...hopefully it gets out to the public and is amazing.

Thanks for explaining that Art!

Awesome. Can't wait for the armor. I just hope I fit!!!

How awesome would a fett armor be!??! ???

I cant help but worry, how much this will cost considering how accurate, significant, and all together rare this will be, I am just on about the fett helmet. Still as Art said , "No clue. You guys know eFX has extremely long production times...." so I guess there will be time to save up...

How awesome would a fett armor be!??! ???

I wish. Sadly, with the sale of Lucasfilm and what happened with the archives, I have serious doubts about whether anything like this will ever happpen again. The Fett helmet may very well be the very last thing that comes directly from the archives. From there, for eFX to continue its Legend line, they would have to start seriously digging into the screen-used collector market for original pieces and that is an uphill battle, but who knows. The Maul saber and stormtrooper both came from private collections. Anyone know of someone with original Fett armor?

So Art Disney has basically told you guys no more casting props? That's really sad. What did happen when Disney took over?This makes me a little sad at what the Legend line could have become,but at the same time makes my wallet a little relieved. Lol

Ben

I wish. Sadly, with the sale of Lucasfilm and what happened with the archives, I have serious doubts about whether anything like this will ever happpen again. The Fett helmet may very well be the very last thing that comes directly from the archives. From there, for eFX to continue its Legend line, they would have to start seriously digging into the screen-used collector market for original pieces and that is an uphill battle, but who knows. The Maul saber and stormtrooper both came from private collections. Anyone know of someone with original Fett armor?

What happened with the Archives???????

I'm not aware Art that anything has happened to the archives - certainly they were still there when I was at the Ranch very recently.

I'll check in with LFL and see what's happened.

Best

MARK

Are there any news about the selling practice eFX will choose. Will the helmets/armor be available for EU costumers from EU Retailers this time or will it be a sale like with the Legend Vader......directly from eFX with horrible shipping costs and only with credit card? I know it will take a longer time until eFX will start the pre sale but perhaps you guys know something about it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back