Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 07July

That's really thinking like a true prop-maker ... hands-on and the bin with old LEGO ... superb! And indeed to consider this is still going to be a toy ... my vintage Jabba and other ROTJ action figures can't wait to board this ship ;)

Chaim

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 07July

WOW! LOVE THIS! Always been one of my favorite ships! :thumbsup :)

What a Great job on this model.....I really am enjoying this build,,,SUPERB!!!!!!!

Thank you all for the nice comments. They really make me happy!!!!!!

Any chance you´re showing this at the upcoming JediCon in Düsseldorf in October?

I wont be there this year....very sorry :( :(

But it isnt finished anyway...maybe (hopefully) in two years?? :D

That's really thinking like a true prop-maker ... hands-on and the bin with old LEGO ... superb! And indeed to consider this is still going to be a toy ... my vintage Jabba and other ROTJ action figures can't wait to board this ship ;)

Chaim

Your vintage figures are of course welcome Chaim! Thanks again for a very nice post!! :D

I bought some newer releases of Jabba's henchmans...lets see what works out better???

you btw reminded me that Klaatu hasn't supervied the built for a long time now...hmmmmm

Regards

Wolff

Last edited:

UPDATE:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#20july2014

I am now trying to give the undersurface some details. Here is some pictures of the progress:

Khetanna_198.JPG

Khetanna_199.JPG

Khetanna_200.JPG

I also installed the electronics. The switch and the battery box were built in:

Khetanna_201.JPG

Khetanna_202.JPG

I also finally made the wings work. Complicated (maybe too complicated??) mechanism, but hey it works!
The mechanism itself was built out of brass tubes: sawed, drilled, crumbed and sanded.
The back of the wings was built after the look of the ILM model, whereas the front was built more like the full size movie set. Simply because the front is designed more complicated and I got the detail pictures of the model too late. It was then just more easy to go with the ILM model on the backside....safes a lot of time and nobody will ever see it anyway....

Khetanna_203.JPG

Khetanna_204.JPG

Khetanna_205.JPG

Khetanna_206.JPG

Khetanna_207.JPG

Khetanna_208.JPG

Khetanna_209.JPG

Khetanna_210.JPG

Khetanna_211.JPG

I hope you like it!

Comments/criticism are welcome...

Regards

Wolff

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 20July

Nice ... this must be a fun built the way you come up with detail solutions ... and I agree several of the TVC henchmen are indeed a great improvement ... so much that I purchased these 4 Gamorrean Guards in one go :

(Picture Courtesy rayray1138)

I just love how they can move and be placed in screen-accurate poses ... in contrast with their first release around 1983.

Chaim

UPDATE:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#21july2014

Before I can go on with the details to the undersurface I will need to finish the landing gear. The three landing feet must be finished to get the slots done in their final shape. I have collected stuff for month and now its time to get them all together. Remember it was only a wooden landing feet before:

Khetanna_212.JPG

Khetanna_213.JPG

Khetanna_214.JPG

Khetanna_215.JPG

Khetanna_216.JPG

I cannot remeber to whom I talked, but I did. Some standard cables get tacky when primed...it never stops, probably because of the flexibilzers in the plastic hull. So why not simply dismantle them???...finer structure and better look anyway. But I needed very small cable straps to make it look more real:

Khetanna_217.JPG

Finally I could test the guitar strings I bought nearly a year ago. They work perfectly:

Khetanna_218.JPG

Khetanna_219.JPG

Khetanna_220.JPG

I cannot wait to get them all done and get them primed.

I hope you like it!

Regards

Wolff

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 21July

WOW!! This is fantastic! I love the interiors too!!
Great job man!

Thank you guys!! :D

UPDATE:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#22july2014

Did some more work to the landing gear front foot.

Khetanna_221.jpg

Khetanna_222.jpg

...and got it finally primed...although I missed some smoothing I am pretty (damn) happy with the result. :D :D :D

Khetanna_223.jpg

Khetanna_224.jpg

Khetanna_226.jpg

...more pics here:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#22july2014

I hope you like it!

Regards

Wolff

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 22July

Looks great. Looks like an Aliens tail running down the side of it. Nice details on it for sure.

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 22July

Love the use of guitar strings:cool and the landing gear sure rocks!!

Cool detailed leg! I gues this is where the model-style comes in the mix.

Kenners would've been more like this
Fl7.jpg

Looks great. Looks like an Aliens tail running down the side of it. Nice details on it for sure.

Thanks. :D

Yeah I thought too that especially that detail doesn't look star wars like...more "HR Giger" like....LOL. But a similar texture can be found on the ILM model running in the middle of the bottom....so the use is not limited to the front foot....it runs from the front to the rear. In that line the front foot is placed when retracted...logically.....does that make any sense?? I hope so! :D

Love the use of guitar strings
cool.png
and the landing gear sure rocks!!

Thanks. It was by far not my idea. Homecine, a member here, pointed my to a thread (ATST build) were this has been already used. This was more then 12 month back I guess. Finally I could test it and I am very happy with the result. Just bought a few more strings.....This thing will have more strings in the end then a whole orchestra...hahahahaha

Cool detailed leg! I gues this is where the model-style comes in the mix.

Kenners would've been more like this

Thank you. You are right, this is were the model-style comes in the mix. Even late 1984 legs look like this (Tatooine Skiff):
$T2eC16VHJF4FFkkBNGV9BSQY7eR,0!~~60_35.JPG

But the Khetanna leg waaaaay bigger. It is a big as a figure itself so it should have more deatils. I would have dreamed of sth more "lighter", but because the ship is getting more and more heavy in time I needed a very massiv front foot....no place for holes and something more fragil looking. Such a massive foot/leg design needs good deatil IMO....I am very happy it worked out that good. :D

Thanks again

Wolff

Last edited:

With all the working elements added, this build has gone beyond amazing! Your updates are awesome, keep them coming.

Great Stuff ! Enjoyed reading thru this entire thread great ideas and work.

Heck I half expect you to have working engines with RC control pretty soon !

The landing gear is a beautiful piece of artwork! Amazing... But I do have one question: With all the greeblies and tubes added/protruding out and away from the edges of the landing gear, how are they going to retract back up into the barge? Or did I miss something?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back