Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 22July

I want one. :cry Seriously though, this is amazing. Love the details. Would be a sweet toy if Hasblow... err I mean Hasbro would cop a clue and make it. ;)

Thank you very much! :D

Here is an update on the engines:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#01august2013

Finally finished the "engines" I started long ago (see here: http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/khetanna/khetanna_084.jpg)
I needed to buy a model kit (Tank) for the details first. I also added some light. A few "cables" and "wires" will follow later.

khetanna_162.jpg

khetanna_164.jpg

khetanna_167.jpg

khetanna_169.jpg

Now on with the undersurface.....

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 01Aug2

seriously? man this guy needs to see how good his work is. I was expecting some half assed tossed together thing and BAMN I find these pics...

I have not watched return of the jedi in at least 3 years, however I bet I have spent thousands of hours watching it in my life time. as soon as I seen the nose section I already knew what it was and how detailed it was to that point. awesome work more pics please :D

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 01Aug2

OMG! Your work is out of this world. I wish this was offered as a kit.

Last edited:

Are those engines actually lit? Or is it just brightly coloured...stuff...

Thank you all for the nice comments.

Are those engines actually lit? Or is it just brightly coloured...stuff...

It is actually lit. I used a cheap LED "light chain" with 20 LEDs and 3 batteries running it. There is 7 LEDs in the engines (2/3/2). You can maybe see how it was build in the first picture from the last update: black box, then the combined red and yellow foils, then the "crinkled" aluminium foil. The LEDs were then positioned on top and for indirect lightening they were covered to the front with a bit aluminium foil. The effect I wanted is some glowing heat in the back of the engines....only really seen when you look straight into them. From the side you can only see a red/orange shining. The LED spots are not visible and that was important to me.
I am by far no expert in electronics, so "making" those lights on my own is sadly not possible and I have to use what's on the market. The LEDs are a bit weak...though.

seriously? man this guy needs to see how good his work is. I was expecting some half assed tossed together thing and BAMN I find these pics...

I have not watched return of the jedi in at least 3 years, however I bet I have spent thousands of hours watching it in my life time. as soon as I seen the nose section I already knew what it was and how detailed it was to that point. awesome work more pics please :D

Thank you.:D For hundreds of pictures please have a look here:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/

I will keep you all updated.

Wolff

:suspect: :suspect: :suspect: :suspect:

........are you excited??.... :lol :lol

Here it is.....ELEVEN MONTH ago was the last update! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Time is running...eh???

I worked on the wings from time to time. Not yet finsihed, but here is some work in progress pictures. The last pictures shows the unfinished hanging together with the beginning mechanical solution to make them movable.

...just showing...the project is not dead!!! ;) :D

Update:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#05july2014

Khetanna_170.JPG

Khetanna_171.JPG

Khetanna_172.JPG

Khetanna_173.JPG

Khetanna_174.JPG

Khetanna_175.JPG

Khetanna_176.JPG

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 05July

I was thinking about this build last week. Nice to see it's alive and going strong. :thumbsup

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 05July

You have some incredible skill, not just to build a replica like this, but to build it strong enough to play with.

That is going the extra mile.

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 06July

You have some incredible skill, not just to build a replica like this, but to build it strong enough to play with.

That is going the extra mile.

...well let's see how solid it really will be in the end....?!?!?!? For now it looks good, but there is still some very fragil parts.... :/

I was thinking about this build last week. Nice to see it's alive and going strong. :thumbsup

Thanks! Happy to hear you are looking forward to it! :D

Update:
Update_06_July_2014

THE UNDERSURFACE

The undersurface as I call it will be the last part of the hull. This stage of construction will give the ship its final shape and form. I decided to build it more like one of the models used in the movie although everyone will be more familiar with the CGI undersurface.

YsdjY0oaa.jpg

As I do not build other models I have no "fodder box". As you can see on the picture above a lot of stuff will be needed to build the undersurface. I in example searched quite a while for a material to build those grills. Now I have finally found somrthing that can be used perfectly.
After that the rough construction of the undersurface is built in one piece. It will be cut in three pieces as soon as its mounted to the top part.
I needed to disassemble the whole ship again. The three main parts needed refixing and I had to change the way some of the transition parts work and look. It is quite a lot of filling, sanding and smoothing.

Khetanna_183.JPG

Khetanna_184.JPG

Khetanna_185.JPG

Khetanna_186.JPG

Khetanna_187.JPG

Khetanna_188.JPG

Khetanna_189.JPG

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 06July

Where did you find that grill?

That would be handy for all kinds of stuff.

Utterly sensational work!!!!!

Rich

Thank you Rich!!

Where did you find that grill?

That would be handy for all kinds of stuff.

Not sure how to call it in English!??! It is a roof part from "Vollmer":
Vollmer 6027 Dachplatte (Asbest-Zement)

If you google it you should find it I hope?!?!?

For the size etc just chek the picture again:
http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/wp-content/blogs.dir/3/files/khetanna/Khetanna_183.JPG

A square should be 1cm² ;)

Cheers

Wolff

Wow great to see this project getting some attention again ... any chance you'll look perhaps for some additional outside help to make a kit out of this ship before final assembly? There's plenty of smart folks here who can make that happen you know ... even close to home in Germany ... Marko a.k.a. http://www.therpf.com/members/marko-rockvoice/ comes to mind ;)

Chaim

Incredible detail!!!

THANK YOU!!! :D :D

Wow great to see this project getting some attention again ... any chance you'll look perhaps for some additional outside help to make a kit out of this ship before final assembly? There's plenty of smart folks here who can make that happen you know ... even close to home in Germany ... Marko a.k.a. http://www.therpf.com/members/marko-rockvoice/ comes to mind ;)

Chaim

Hey Chaim,

thanks for kind words. Well the ship will be detachable even when its finished....that is what makes this all so complicated. I then have the possibilty to a) fix things anytime b) Improve things especially inside and c) I can leave my time with the cockpit and the bar inside...I really would like to make those in the end... :D

I am not familiar in any way at which state it would be perfect to make a kit?? I wanted to finish the complete hull with the details first....smooth it and prime it....then maybe ask for help?? I will conact Marko and ask him...thanks for the hint!

Cheers

Wolff

I am btw near finishing the landing-gear-mechanism....what would make me personally very happy....another tough nut to crack off the list :D :D...well almost!!

I must say congratulations on a pretty superb build.
You certainly should not dismiss your abilities as others have mentioned.
Excellent work and although you aimed for a functioning toy replica you certainly surpassed that, I feel with this under your belt your could build anything you wanted.
very well done :)

Part of the appeal of a studioscale model (specialy from SW) to me is they're like a great imaginative "toy".
Propbuilding is a calling, but when i see a great miniature i cant help imagining an actionfigure dio..
Probably cos' the early kenner toyline got me interested in detailed models in the first place.

I think its super cool that your building this toy-like!

Re: Scratchbuilt Jabba's Sailbarge / Khetanna custom Toy and Model WIP Updated 07July

Some very nice comments here guys!!! THANK YOU!!!!

You will love this....it freaking works...I am so damn happy.....

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/my-collection/customs/khetanna/#07july2014

Time to get one of the features done. I started to built the landing gear mechanism. First up was a rough design of the landing gear. I tried to build them a bit like the ones from Kenner's Tatooine Skiff.

Khetanna_177.JPG

Khetanna_178.JPG

I thought long about how to build the mechanism to get it work. I studied the landing gear mechnaism of Kenner's Tatooine Skiff and B-Wing Fighter (thanks for the help on TIG btw). All have three feet and the front foot ist retracted the other way. I was near quitting the whole mechanism thing but then I remembered playing with Lego-Technik as a child and I was able to find a box with parts in my parents house. I came to a simple solution where one move retracts the front and the back feet oppositional.

Khetanna_179.JPG

Khetanna_180.JPG

Khetanna_181.JPG

I finally got the hull of the undersurface finsihed. Some filling and sanding still left but I couldn't wait to see if the mechanism works. So the construction was glued to the ship. Then it was cut into three pieces so that the hull is still detachable (pics will follow). Two pieces as cover were build, also detachable.
So this is it: The ship has its final shape and form, the mechanism works and it carries the weight.

Khetanna_190.JPG

Khetanna_191.JPG

Khetanna_192.JPG

Khetanna_193.JPG

Khetanna_194.JPG

Khetanna_195.JPG

Khetanna_196.JPG

Next up will be the mechanism of the wings and the electronic parts. Then on with the deatils to the landing gear and the undersurface.

:D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back