Star Wars Theme Home theatre Build - Need some Help

BAFTOZ

Hi Guys and Girls,
I've been following a heap of threads for a while now, and this is my first post with request for help. I'm from Melbourne Australia and I'm Just in the process of building our new family home. With in it, I'm wanting to build a Star wars themed theatre room. Do currently have a theatre room in my current house but wanting to do something special in the new house. It's currently at lock up stage so about 3 or 4 weeks before plaster (Drywall). Soon as that's in the build will start, will be doing the majority myself, with the exception of the glass cabinets being done by my cabinet maker. Below are some 2D plans of what I've planned. I'm set with everything but I need some help. I'm hoping someone can tell me where to get really Hi Res images same or similar to ones below. What I'm trying to achieve is a destroyer viewport looking out to space. I just cant seem to find anything that is large enough and of high quality once its printed to 1200mmX2125mm (47"hx83"w).

Pic of room Currently
Theatre room Frame.jpg

Proposed Layout
Theatre 1.pngTheatre 2- with pic.png

Ideal Pics to be in Large Format
91376-1920x1080.jpgwallpaper-2652395.jpg

Also I'm using a double pocket door, and was wondering has anyone found a kit or made a kit that can open them at the same time via motor. I've seen a few pneumatic ones, but really don't want a compressor working all the time. So something mechanical is my preferred way.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you do this for a living or just for yourself? Impressive either way! I'm a novice do it your selfer so I can't give any advice but just wanted to comment.

Do you do this for a living or just for yourself? Impressive either way! I'm a novice do it your selfer so I can't give any advice but just wanted to comment.

Hey James, I'm actually a Residential Builder (Building new homes etc). However, this is my first attempt at something like this for my own home. Fingers Crossed turns out good.

That looks great, I'm a big home theater enthusiast though not a builder at all. The room looks great and you just want to make sure you have soft materials on the walls to help with acoustics. In a pinch all the stuff you have on the walls will help disperse reflections as well. I'd imagine you could take the images to a high quality print shop and they could reprocess the images through photo shop to account for the higher pixel count needed. But i know nothing of Melbourne, my sister in law is from Brisbane but that won't help. :)

Good luck, this is going to be awesome.

That looks great, I'm a big home theater enthusiast though not a builder at all. The room looks great and you just want to make sure you have soft materials on the walls to help with acoustics. In a pinch all the stuff you have on the walls will help disperse reflections as well. I'd imagine you could take the images to a high quality print shop and they could reprocess the images through photo shop to account for the higher pixel count needed. But i know nothing of Melbourne, my sister in law is from Brisbane but that won't help. :)

Good luck, this is going to be awesome.

Thanks Mik, I have been told about the acoustics from a few people. I am trying to figure out a way to incorporate some lined foam panels, but will look further into it once all the main gear is up. Thanks for info regarding images will look into that.

Hi Chica,

Room is 5.3m X 4.1m (18ft X 14ft) and screen is 2.4m X 1.2m (8ft X 4ft). I Have same size in my current home, I think its just right for the size of the room. People say can go bigger but I personally feel if you have to turn your head left to right to watch a movie, then its too big, but each to their own.

My only advice on configuring a theater is... Don't put the screen at the front and the seats at the far back. Put seats in the middle of the room.

I think your door looks fantastic. :thumbsup

My only advice on configuring a theater is... Don't put the screen at the front and the seats at the far back. Put seats in the middle of the room.

I think your door looks fantastic. :thumbsup

Hey DJ,

Thanks man, There are two rows of seats the rear will be about 1 1/2 ft from back cabinets, that's the max I can go. The other row will be smack in center so should be ok.

Ill be honest, I lot of my inspiration came from your Den build thread. Love what you've done and are doing, Particularly the entry doors and the frame around. When I saw your progress a few months ago, it was your build that made me say "Nah that's it I'm doing it". So Thank you and I appreciate your feedback and advice.

Hi Chica,

Room is 5.3m X 4.1m (18ft X 14ft) and screen is 2.4m X 1.2m (8ft X 4ft). I Have same size in my current home, I think its just right for the size of the room. People say can go bigger but I personally feel if you have to turn your head left to right to watch a movie, then its too big, but each to their own.

Pretty good size then, the screen in my front room is only a little bigger at 10' X 5' :D

This is some reference from a build I worked on. The designs you came up with are fantastic. I can't wait to see it finished.

I just had LEDs behind mine.Those images will look great!

wall1.jpg wall2.jpg wall3.jpg wall5.jpg wall6.jpg

Last edited:
This is some reference from a build I worked on. The designs you came up with are fantastic. I can't wait to see it finished.

I just had LEDs behind mine.Those images will look great!

View attachment 254500 View attachment 254501 View attachment 254502 View attachment 254505 View attachment 254503

Hi Davard,
Room looks cool, like the LEDS idea looks real. How did you do the radius corners in the frames? I will try up scaling the images, however if they are still pixelated then ill have no choice but to do something like what you've done.

I've got most of my detailed pieces ready, so hoping to get a bit done this coming weekend. Will post more pics once further progressed.

Just a small update, had some progress on the theatre build this weekend. Its coming up good so far I think. Ive purchased all the acrylic sheets for the light boxes and was going to fit, but Ill first finish all fab work, paint then fit them.
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

Wow this stuff is incredible! I'm a little new to building and remodeling but flexible plywood sounds amazing!

- - - Updated - - -

I cant wait till I have time to start building my own room in my basement.... your theater build is putting all kinds of crazy ideas in my head BAFTOZ!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back