My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (V3 available in post #1 now!)

Love these files, thank you so much. I'm currently printing them and they're looking great* so far.

20180919_193419.jpgIMG-20180919-WA0003.jpeg20180918_113550.jpg20180918_063547.jpg

Stupidly I didn't look at any reference photos before pla-and-soldering-iron welding the face plate together. I've just realised there should be visible seam lines. Guess I'll be adding them back after sanding.

* Great to the eye of someone who's new to 3D printing and may have his printer set wrong. Any flaws are my fault not a flaw in the files.

Hello,
Fisrt of all thanks a lot for these files, it's a great model !
I've started printing it, and I'm wondering how/where to assemble the eye frames, is there any refenrence photos (front and back) ?
20181211.jpg

20181210.jpg

Does anyone have the v3 files they can share with me NOT using the 4 shared page?

Ive been burnt too many times on that site and I hate it. Surely someone has the v3s in a dropbox somewhere or something lol

Thanks

No-one has been in this thread for a while, but hopefully someone will see this and be able to answer! For anyone that has printed these files, how much filament is needed? I know someone with a 3D printer that is willing to make one for me, but I'm supplying the material so I'm just wondering how much I need to order.

Many thanks, and keep up the great work!

Posting links to the Thingiverse pages for the V3 and "legacy" earlier helmets since it doesn't appear that there's any working links left on the thread:

Older files posted December 21, 2013 (thingiverse thing 209166):
Iron Man Mark III Helmet by drumguy560

Newer files posted May 3rd 2019 (thingiverse thing 3605295): Iron Man Mark 3 from Iron Man 2008 by drumguy560

Apologies if I'm duplicating information, I was looking for V2 files because that is what I printed years ago and couldn't find working links. I found these by searching for "drumguy560" on Thingiverse.

No-one has been in this thread for a while, but hopefully someone will see this and be able to answer! For anyone that has printed these files, how much filament is needed? I know someone with a 3D printer that is willing to make one for me, but I'm supplying the material so I'm just wondering how much I need to order.

Many thanks, and keep up the great work!

I've just measured the weight of the V2 helmet pieces that I printed years ago in ABS at 100% infill, scaled to approximately 178mm ear-to-ear on the inside of the helmet (measured with a telescoping gauge and calipers, some sanding has been done so it may have been 180mm to start with). I printed the helmet in three parts: the faceplate, jaw, and the rest of the helmet.

Printed at 100% infill with ABS, helmet scaled to ~178mm ear-to-ear
Faceplate: 161g
Jaw (see note below): 103g*
Helmet: 511g

Support material is not included here. Parts were printed using high impact polystyrene (HIPS) material for support. The helmet required a significant amount of support (no easy way to estimate it but it was certainly less than the amount used for the model material).
If I had to ballpark it my intuition says it was probably in the neighborhood of 200-300 grams of support total. You would be able to use much less if you print the helmet in smaller parts.

* I ran out of filament when printing the jaw (I suspect that my "1kg" spool included the weight of the spool). Print height measured at 68.89mm
Iron Man Jaw Print Height.jpg

The keen-eyed of you may have spotted the plastic clips that are attached to the inside of the part. I've left those in for the measurement above since it would give a closer estimate to a real part. For anyone who really wants every last bit of accuracy possible, a single clip and double sided tape together weigh 0.6 grams (there are 4 clips on the jaw).

TL;DR - My recommendation is to buy more than 1kg. You don't want to commit to it and run out like I did. You will also likely want to print brackets and hinges that aren't included in the helmet design.

This should be sufficient for budgetary purposes.

I've recently bought a foam helmet liner kit from Amazon for just over $30 that was originally intended for Airsoft helmets: https://amzn.to/3au2tvD

Since links break, here's a screenshot of the Amazon page for the future (GLHF if both are broken, it wasn't hard to find by searching for "helmet liner")
Iron Man Helmet Foam Amazon Page.png

Here is a view of the liner installed in the helmet, I ended up modifying one of the bits so I could get more foam on the side:
Iron Man Helmet Foam Liner View 1.jpg

It comes with a big sheet of velcro with adhesive that you can cut to whatever you need

Iron Man Helmet Foam Liner Velcro.jpg

I found that I only needed the black foam on the bottom near my neck
Iron Man Helmet Foam Liner with Black Padding.jpg

Of course, I put the foam in before finalizing the hinge design so this its possible that this will change from how its shown here.

I've also ordered a pair of cheek pads meant for a Bell motorcycle helmet that will arrive shortly. These normally attach to the helmet using plastic snap buttons, and from mocking it up with some from one of my helmets it looks possible that you could use these snaps to hold the jaw and helmet together. I've ordered the 25mm thick version: Amazon.com: BELL Qualifier Cheek Pads Street Motorcycle Helmet Accessories - Grey / 25MM: Automotive

Hello, does anyone know where I can get the full helmet file, like one where it is not separated so that I can scale it appropriately?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back