My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (V3 available in post #1 now!)

Re: Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files

Hmmm.

I loaded the repaired faceplate file into my printer, and it said it would take less than 2 min to print (my printer ain't that fast). So then I loaded it into STL viewer and the height of the faceplate is just over 9mm?

Am I doing something wrong here, or are the files off? If I get some time today, I'm going to load the STL into solid works and see what I see.

Thanks,

C

As far as I'm aware, the files are scaled to roughly a Xxl sized head. That was in 3ds Mac though. But I'm pretty sure the Stl files are to the same scale though. I may have some problems with my sizing. I'll check on that this weekend and re upload if necessary. Worst case scenario I'd just scale up the Stl.

Thanks for checking it out!

first thanks for this guy awesome work...but i cant print them there some sort of problem with the file i ran it thru net fabb but no luck..anybody can help me out with this issue?

As far as I'm aware, the files are scaled to roughly a Xxl sized head. That was in 3ds Mac though. But I'm pretty sure the Stl files are to the same scale though. I may have some problems with my sizing. I'll check on that this weekend and re upload if necessary. Worst case scenario I'd just scale up the Stl.

Thanks for checking it out!

No worries. I scaled up the STL by 10x last night and let it run on the printer; had a 10cm tall faceplate waiting for me this morning! Thanks VERY much for the files, and at some point I'll scale it up to fit my melon of a head and print out.

Thanks again!

C

- - - Updated - - -

holidaystyles44 - What kind of problems are you having? I had to scale the STLs up to make my printer happy, but once I did that everything went smoothly.

C

No worries. I scaled up the STL by 10x last night and let it run on the printer; had a 10cm tall faceplate waiting for me this morning! Thanks VERY much for the files, and at some point I'll scale it up to fit my melon of a head and print out.

Thanks again!

C

- - - Updated - - -

holidaystyles44 - What kind of problems are you having? I had to scale the STLs up to make my printer happy, but once I did that everything went smoothly.

C

Awesome! Would you mind uploading a picture of the printed faceplate? I'd sure like to see it. Thanks!

well i believe its the wall thickness..I'm new at this but there are certain areas in the file that i dont know how to fix yet

I don't have a pic sharing service, but if you PM me an email addy I can send you what I've got so far.
The faceplate really shows that the Cubex printer I'm using needs some tuning . . .

C

Started on the neck the other day. It's going pretty good! Here's a quick render.

ironmanwithneckrendersorta.jpg

The idea is to make it tiered like it's imagined to be in the movie. I want to be able to cast this in resin and still have mobility, so each of the neck tiers will be a separate piece attached to each other by elastic. The goal is also to be able to retract the neck into itself for when the helmet is off, just like the practical suit in the movies look when the actor is not wearing the helmet.

neckrender2.jpg

neckrender1.jpg

In these pictures you can see the different tiers. I've got an idea in mind for how to make the neck tiers go up and down, but we will see how that plays out someday when I actually get my 3d printer running.

As always, the neck will be fully 3D printable!!

Let me know what you guys think!

Re: My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (DL post 17) New Neck started PG 2

Please keep this going. :D You're gonna make a lot of mk3 builders happy. :)

Re: My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (DL post 17) New Neck started PG 2

Yes! Lookimg sweet. Im a month or 2 from getting my 3d printer. But if/when its all sorted ill sort you one out! J

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Started on the neck the other day. It's going pretty good! Here's a quick render.

Great! for some reason I assumed you were only going to do the helmet!

Your files are great, but if you let me, I would like to give a little of "constructive criticism" :D

Your files have A LOT of vertex, a lot! and still they feel that in some places the model isn't smooth enough, I found some areas in the "IRONMANMARKIIIHELMETBACKV1" that show this problem.

I think this is due to the topology you are using, I haven't used 3D Max in a very long time and I don't know exactly how are you modeling the files, I suppose you are "sculpting" them, but it seems that the mesh it's producing is not very efficient.

Here you can read a bit more about topology and why it matters:
Why Topology Matters in Modeling | Blender Cookie

As an example, here it's an screenshot of your files:

drumguy560-2.PNGdrumguy560-1.png

You can see some bumbs in your mesh, and believe me, that will show in the printed object. Your mesh is composed of triangles, which don't behave good when you try to modify the mesh and it's not easy to work with.

Here it's the model I was doing before you released your files:
ballanux-2.PNGballanux-1.PNG

My model of course isn't finished, it's only a draft of the general shape of the helmet, but I tried to use an uniform mesh of quads (which are better when you apply posterior operations to the mesh), also you can achieve a smoother surface with less points. Of course, you will need a more detailed mesh in some places, but in this large areas you can save a lot of vertex and still have better results.

I'm probably much less experienced than you in 3d modeling, but I think you could improve your future models just by making the mesh follow the shape of the pieces and always using quads.

I hope this doesn't upset you, I think your models are great but I think you could improve this for future models.

20131128_085544_resized.jpg20131128_085544_resized.jpg

Greetings to all,

I am new at 3d printing and graphics manipulation. I use a flashforge 3d printer with a 6x6x6 printing platform, so I had to slice the mask in half for printing. It took a few tries before I was able to completely print half of the mask. I mirrored one side to print the other half and this is what I have so far. i used rasp support and have not cleaned it yet. I'll be printing more when i have time

Thanks to drumguy560 for the files, it may not be perfect but nothing that "bondo and sandpaper cant fix".

Attachments

• 20131128_085708_resized.jpg
    20131128_085708_resized.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 613

looks great!

Here are some shots of the neck I'm currently working on. The proof of concept of a collapsible, flexible neck seems to work. I tested the theory with a low poly version in SolidWorks, but goodness there is a lot to learn in that program!

Anyway, here are some renders of the collapsible mark III neck, STLs will be up soon!

in this picture you can see the concept behind the neck. It is tiered, as to allow movement in all directions. The top tier is meant to fit neatly into my helmet file in order to stay up. Later i may figure out some kind of system to allow it to stay up without the helmet on, but until then, when the helmet is on the neck stays up, when it is off, it collapses into itself under it's own weight.

This should work. As my 3d modeling skills are growing I am finding it easier to make clean meshes. I will probably re-do the helmet file someday as well

Thanks for staying interested!

PS - My faceplate file has been downloaded a grand total of 100 times as of today! Pretty excited about it. However, let's see some pictures if you print it! Someone must be!

Hello!

Man, this is some great work you have here!
I hope you can go all the way with this attention to the details.
Looking forward to see more pics!
Hell, i might even get me a printer!

Best regards,
douglaz

Hi, pal thanks for the files,

I have a question,

What scale is the helmet?

Sadly i don't own a 3d printer and in my country are very difficult to get, but i could print it in a store near that have that service

so i wanted to know if the files needed to be reescale cause the store will charge me for printing hour and if its too big o too small they will charge me anyways

I built sharkmark's helmet with the default scale and it's fits me perfectly so i was wondering if this files had the same scale or if adjustment may be needed

Thanks again for your hard work

Last edited:

your work is amazing, I need see more!!!!

thx for all hard work guy thx

Wow drumguy, this looks fantastic! Just received my Lulzbot and I can't wait to try your files out! :thumbsup

Just waiting for some filament to arrive, and I'll give it a try. I'll be sure to post some pics here when I do!!!

Thank you good sir!

Hi, pal thanks for the files,

I have a question,

What scale is the helmet?

Sadly i don't own a 3d printer and in my country are very difficult to get, but i could print it in a store near that have that service

so i wanted to know if the files needed to be reescale cause the store will charge me for printing hour and if its too big o too small they will charge me anyways

I built sharkmark's helmet with the default scale and it's fits me perfectly so i was wondering if this files had the same scale or if adjustment may be needed

Thanks again for your hard work

I'm going to scale the helmet to a head size of 1 centimeter. That way, when you want to scale it, all you need to do is measure your head and scale it times whatever your measurement is. For instance, if The head size is 63 centimeters, you would scale the helmet x63 and it would fit perfectly! Give me a few days and I'll get this done!

To print neck piece you tried to use FilaFlex?

In case you you do not know here I leave the linka their official website: FILAFLEX RED 3MM | RECREUS 3D PRINTINGRECREUS 3D PRINTING

It is a flexible filament for 3D printers.

It is the material that have thought use to print neck Knee Shutters Inner and inner elbow

WOW! That stuff does look cool.

20131210_200148.jpg

my 3d printer PRUSA I3 has arrived, go go go, I NEED PRINT!!!!!! jajaja

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back