Skyrim Daedric Armor - Foam Build (COMPLETE! Pic Heavy)

Boris Mzhen

10/20/2013 UPDATE - ARMOR IS NOW COMPLETE!!!
Completed Photos on Page 5!!!

--------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Check out my facebook page here if you have any questions or want to see more pics, I am better about responding to messages on there:
https://www.facebook.com/creepyboris

Hey guys, thought I would make this my first post! :)

I wanted to dive into the world of foam building by making a set of unique armor, after a long time deciding I finally settled on the Daedric armor from Skyrim. Problem is there is not too many builds I could find of this armor, and especially not in foam.

I started with the pep files I found online in this thread: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/36462-Skyrim-Pepakura-Files/ which I then modified to make them more foam-friendly.

The armor is made completely out of EVA foam and hot glue. Detailed with craft foam, acrylic paint, hot glue, and varnish. More details can be found in the thread.

View attachment 213706View attachment 214976View attachment 228396
View attachment 229595View attachment 229598View attachment 229597View attachment 230479View attachment 235098
View attachment 250923 borismzhen_daedric_helmet_complete.jpg

Here is a link to a separate thread I made for my Daedric War Axe prop:
Daedric War Axe (Skyrim) - pic heavy

This thread will document the whole process from start to finish.

--------------------

So far I have completed the chest and back pieces of the torso. I think they came out pretty good considering its my first time working with foam.

1373216855902.jpg1373216819073.jpg

I am currently working on modifying the shoulder files for foam. I am also going to make a duct tape dress form of my body so that I can finalize the fitting for the sides of the chest piece. Will post updates in this thread. Please feel free to post comments/questions/suggestions.

Attachments

• TheRPF_Costumecontest_proof.jpg
    TheRPF_Costumecontest_proof.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 3,924
Last edited:
Re: Skyrim Daedric Armor - first time foam build

Good luck with the foam conversions! I'll be keeping an eye on this post as I'd like to give this armor foam build a go.

Took some time to build a duct tape dummy to use for fitting the armor. Now I know that I need to add about an inch of foam on each side under the arms.
dummy1.jpg

Currently working on building the helmet, should be completed in the next few days.

Nice mannequin and excellent work! It's satisfying, seeing all of these Skyrim builds come out of the woodwork.

Awesome. Daedric armour looks tough to pull off. Can't wait to see it done.

I love that armor. Its on my very long list of builds i would eventually like to get to. It looks amazing so far... I'm super jelly

Finished one of the shoulders last night, definitely the hardest part of the armor I think. Not looking forward to doing the second one, but at least they are asymmetric so they don't have to be exact.

shoulder1.jpgshoulder2.jpgshoulder3.jpg

Now I need to figure out the best way of attaching these to the breastplate on the front and back.

Keep up the good work! True, you did pick a good armor to build if you're talking a-symmetry :p

For attaching the shoulders you could go with velcro to the breastplate (removable, potentially less sturdy), snaps (more sturdy, harder to get on/off, have to rivet through the foam), or you could put a strap on each pauldron around your arm instead of attaching directly to the breastplate.

One other thing to consider as you're building is maintaining your comfort. Foam armors are very insulating so consider room for fans or vents or ice packs so you don't overheat at a con, if that's your destination.

I look forward to seeing your future work on this! Do you have plans on making any daedric weapons to go with it?

Keep up the good work! True, you did pick a good armor to build if you're talking a-symmetry :p

For attaching the shoulders you could go with velcro to the breastplate (removable, potentially less sturdy), snaps (more sturdy, harder to get on/off, have to rivet through the foam), or you could put a strap on each pauldron around your arm instead of attaching directly to the breastplate.

One other thing to consider as you're building is maintaining your comfort. Foam armors are very insulating so consider room for fans or vents or ice packs so you don't overheat at a con, if that's your destination.

I look forward to seeing your future work on this! Do you have plans on making any daedric weapons to go with it?

Thanks for the tips! I am planning to do a combination of the ways you mentioned, strap around the arm, velkro on front and back and straps/buckles on top of the shoulder to attach to the breastplate shoulder. I am only worried about the velkro staying on the foam, super glue after sealing the foam should work to keep the velkro/straps on. Or maybe stick to hot glue?

I also bought some rare earth magnets to experiment with for possible using on the sides of the breastplate, but so far I have not found a way to keep them glued to the foam, magnet is too strong and rips it off the foam when trying to disconnect.

For comfort, I am hoping that there is enough space between armor pieces for adequate ventilation. I am probably going to be wearing some compression underarmour underneath so it should be breathable.

For weapons, I am planning on making a pair of Daedric War Axes! :devil

Holy wow this is beautiful! The fact that you manipulated the foam to make the helmet is blowing my mind! Gorgeous!

I would avoid hot glue, avoid it like the plague. I used hot glue for a Tyrael styrene-coated-foam build and it was okay for one day (one or two pieces broke while walking around) but now it sits in pieces looking pitiful in a bin at my house until I remake it with stronger materials :\

Use industrial velcro and for me the self-adhesive was plenty strong (I was also able to velcro straight to a black body-suit), and if you're worried you can also sew it on to cloth or foam. I was also able to use a grommet punch to put grommets straight into foam. Make sure you give at least a 1/2" clearance from an edge so it doesn't rip. But with that I used strips of elastic string and synched the armor together.

Yeah depending on how much you move around and the weather having gaps (especially armpits, neck, back of the knees) that may be sufficient. Just make sure you try it on for a good long while before going out into the hot late-summer sun like I did :p

Good choice on the war axes, my first Skyrim character was a dual-wielder :D The best defense is nothing but offense!

I would avoid hot glue, avoid it like the plague. I used hot glue for a Tyrael styrene-coated-foam build and it was okay for one day (one or two pieces broke while walking around) but now it sits in pieces looking pitiful in a bin at my house until I remake it with stronger materials :\

Use industrial velcro and for me the self-adhesive was plenty strong (I was also able to velcro straight to a black body-suit), and if you're worried you can also sew it on to cloth or foam. I was also able to use a grommet punch to put grommets straight into foam. Make sure you give at least a 1/2" clearance from an edge so it doesn't rip. But with that I used strips of elastic string and synched the armor together.

Yeah depending on how much you move around and the weather having gaps (especially armpits, neck, back of the knees) that may be sufficient. Just make sure you try it on for a good long while before going out into the hot late-summer sun like I did :p

Good choice on the war axes, my first Skyrim character was a dual-wielder :D The best defense is nothing but offense!

Oh no, Mine is all held together by hot glue! Hopefully it should hold together since all of the conventions I am planning to use it at are indoors. I am planning on sealing the foam with Mod Podge prior to painting, which should help to reinforce it as well .

What kind of body suit did you use? I don't know if velkro will stick to under armour very well.

The main thing for me was I laminated the foam with styrene instead of sealing it like you are going to. Those hotglue joints broke worse for me. You may or may not have trouble with the hot glue, but I'd just say in general there are better things (though for mock-ups hot glue is awesome because you can pull it apart easily!).

My body suit was a Second Skin spandex/lycra thing I got from Amazon. I used that because it was one-piece including the face/hands/feet. The feet were annoying and I cut those off, but for Tyrael the face bit was necessary. For you you are probably better off with Underarmor because it will keep you cooler than the spandex stuff. You'll just have to do some trials with the velkro. If the tack isn't good enough you can always sew it on (if you don't mind sacrificing the under armor, I know that can be expensive), or just go with straps instead.

a Second Skin spandex/lycra thing I got from Amazon. I used that because it was one-piece including the face/hands/feet. The feet were annoying and I cut those off, but for Tyrael the face bit was necessary. For you you are probably better off with Underarmor because it will keep you cooler than the spandex stuff. You'll just have to do some trials with the velkro. If the tack isn't good enough you can always sew it on (if you don't mind sacrificing the under armor, I know that can be expensive), or just go with straps instead.

Ah cool! I actually have one of those spandex/lycra suits, mine is Morphsuit brand but the problem is the visibility in it is really bad, I'm not sure if its like that for all the suits. I might have to find something for my face with mesh material over the eyes so I can see better.

Did some fitment tests to make sure i can turn my head without hitting the spikes on the chest :) . It fits pretty well!

fit_back1.jpgfit_chest1.jpg

Also finished the other shoulder :D

shoulders_both.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back