Pacific Rim (Post-release)

I love this movie!

Wish Idris Elba and the kid could have ejected and floated up the way the other two did. He did say she could always find him in the drift, so maybe he will make a cameo in the sequel.

Very nicely done. Very nice. I gotta admit, some parts left me pleasantly surprised, and I wasn't even looking forward to this movie all that much. This is seriously some of the best special effects I've seen in a looong time, even better than Avatar.

But if there's one thing that completely stops this film from being great, it was that scientist Geiszler. It's one thing to write his characters as comic relief, but it's completely another when the direction for Charlie Day was to have him scream his lines as loud as he can. Seriously, he screams every word he utters. After the film was done, I'm actually considering skipping every scene he's in when the film comes out on BluRay. I never think like that. At least Jar Jar has an indoor voice. The fact that they had him speaking to Ron Perlman, one of the best voices out there was insulting.

Very nicely done. Very nice. I gotta admit, some parts left me pleasantly surprised, and I wasn't even looking forward to this movie all that much. This is seriously some of the best special effects I've seen in a looong time, even better than Avatar.
That endorsement should be printed on the blu ray cover. "So good, even Jeyl doesn't hate it."
But if there's one thing that completely stops this film from being great, it was that scientist Geiszler. It's one thing to write his characters as comic relief, but it's completely another when the direction for Charlie Day was to have him scream his lines as loud as he can. Seriously, he screams every word he utters.
Have you ever watched "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"? lol

Didn't expect it, but after I posted my Pacific Rim review link on Twitter yesterday, Ron Perlman followed me.

And earlier today I was chatting about the 3D post-conversion with others on Twitter. Ron Perlman didn't retweet me but re-posted my exact tweet about 30 mins ago :).

Vivek_Pacific_Rim_Ron_Perlman_3D_tweet.png

https://twitter.com/vivekbhat/status/355977012638261249

https://twitter.com/perlmutations/status/356132442714804224

I love this movie!

Wish Idris Elba and the kid could have ejected and floated up the way the other two did. He did say she could always find him in the drift, so maybe he will make a cameo in the sequel.

Sequel? Del Toro hates sequels for his one off movies.

That's why he finished the movies the way it did. As for 'i'll see you in the rift' is simply because the rift pokes at your emotions = she will think of him/see him in there more vividly.

Ron Perlman is a really cool dude...Let's hope he friends me on the RPF...:lol

Dude, that's pretty sweet! :D

hahaha, that's amazing. ugh, i want to see the movie again....
Thanks all, I was quite ecstatic :D. I am seeing it again later on a weekday.

Screenwriter Travis Beacham on box office and sequel.

"Amidst all this box office horse race talk, my advice to aspiring writers is NEVER WORRY ABOUT THIS. IT WILL MAKE YOU ****TY."

"I'm serious. This is the biggest difference between the writers you like and the writers you don't. Don't sweat how your big idea will play."

"Literally the only reason I'm following the numbers is that the sequel is bonkers and I want it to happen."

Last edited:
the sequel is bonkers?

holy smokes, the ORIGINAL MOVIE is bonkers. if the sequel crams in any more awesomeness, i may auto-ignite upon seeing it! O_O

Yeah I hope the sequel happens.

I liked this tweet.

RT @ GabLei: There are movies you see... THEN there are movies you experience!!! Pacific Rim is one of those experiences!! Off to see it AGAIN!

@ Vivek: that rocks Brotha! And OMG Jeyl likes it! he likes it! This film really brings back so many good memories for me watching the classic Godzilla films as a child with my older brother. Looking forward to taking my son to see this for a second viewing this evening. :)

I just watched Godzilla vs. Mothra and Gidorah...and it was awesome. Definitely some great moments from Pacific Rim that reminded me of Godzilla.

I loved the scene where the Leatherneck was laying there and Raleigh and Mako are walking off and he pauses and says, "Lets check for a pulse".

He pretty much did what everyone is supposed to do in a horror or monster movie situation.:lol

And Jeyl likes it...

@ Vivek: that rocks Brotha! And OMG Jeyl likes it! he likes it! This film really brings back so many good memories for me watching the classic Godzilla films as a child with my older brother. Looking forward to taking my son to see this for a second viewing this evening. :)

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was awesome. Everything I always wanted in a giant robot movie. This is the movie Robot Jox should have been, if made now. Makes me want to see a Shogun Warriors.......

Responding to all the talk about skewed numbers and limited distribution, this is what a comic book artist friend of mine had to say......

"WB controls distribution of Legendary Pictures. Legendary is doing well enough to split from WB, and 'Rim puts them out of buying range if it makes enough. If it makes budget ,but nothing more... WB can devalue Legendary and buy it outright. Legendary becomes WB's cash cow. Their last 5 movies have outsold WB's buy 3 to 1 (or more) each. Not conspiracy theory... just business. Who would benefit? Warner Brothers."

And another friend........

"Interestingly one of our best theaters in the area has informed me that they aren't offering as many showtimes for Pacific Rim because they were only sent one copy of the movie from the film studios, which the manager herself said was very unusual. Especially unusual for this kind of movie."

Guys, go see this thing. It's amazing. I wish Legendary well, though if theater crowds are any indication (our theater was NOT exactly packed on a Sat night), I feel bad for them.......

The film was amazing, but basically EXACTLY as I imagined it would be. No big surprises that caught me off guard... just a super solid action flick with giant robots and giant monsters (which is a great thing :thumbsup).

I'm hoping Del Toro does release both a theatrical and extended version of the film. I'd love to see what he and his movie buddies took out. I mean, the film was paced perfectly, so hopefully, the added material won't make the film drag. Also, I pray a potential extended/director's cut won't be treated like the Hellboy director's cut, where scenes were extended, but different takes were swapped with the theatrical ones. It's a bit jarring, especially since I preferred some of the original takes.

And I kind of feel bad for the guys working on the new Godzilla film... I know it's going to have a different feel, but they have some work ahead of them to stand up to Pacific Rim...

i think Pacific Rim is gonna do really well due to repeat viewings and word of mouth. a lot of people i've talked with didn't know what the movie was even about. but i've been telling them it's the movie their inner kid has been waiting for since forever. :D

GREAT movie.

The 3D on the other hand... why? Useless and HAD to pay extra for it since there's no 2D version...

There is a 2D version because I saw it. Your theater decided to rip you off. That will probably start happening more and more.

I happened to like the scientists, but they could have toned it down a bit. I loved the public bunker scene. "It's after the little dude!"

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

I saw this movie over the weekend and I couldn't stop smiling the whole time, the action was great and the music was very fitting to the movie. The two scientists could of toned it down a little and I feel his limp seemed to get slightly more progressive as the film went on, these are minor gripes though as on the whole the film was excellent.

I saw this movie in 2D as I was unsure just how distracting the 3D could be. Now that I've seen it in 2D I will go for an IMAX viewing next weekend.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back