Pacific Rim (Post-release)

There's a poseable 18" Gipsy Danger figure that is coming out in September. It looks very articulated and well made. I think I may have to try to get one. :)

Heavy Future: Review: Pacific Rim is Awesome and that is an understatement

Pacific Rim isn't short on action and visual treats. The scenes where the awe inducing scale of the mighty Jagers fighting the nasty Kaijus are indeed the main highlights of the film. But I was quite pleased how the rest of the film managed to keep me entertained with the story.

Though there are some hokey dialogues during few parts of the movie, it didn't put me off in any way. The human characters in Pacific Rim aren't iconic, but their acts are heroic and they serve the story well. We know their past, their prior battles, so everytime they are out fighting while being inside the mecha, it brings the sense of real danger and anticipation as we are quite emotionally vested in those characters; while marveling at the beauty of the Jagers kicking serious Kaiju ass.

Many seem to have been irked by the characters of the scientists, I for one really liked the character of Newton played by Charlie Day, (maybe cause he plays my favourite character on the hilarious series It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia). Also I really enjoyed the scenes and banter between Newton and Hannibal Chau played by Ron Perlman. Idris Elba manages to express his role with great gravitas and authority.

While most seem to identify the lead actor Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy, I only knew him as Lloyd, the charming British guy on Undeclared and now quite enjoyed his performance as Raleigh Becket. Rinko Kikuchi (who was great in both Babel and The Brothers Bloom) as Mako Mori was bit awkward during the initial scenes or are atleast they seem to have been written her character that way, but quickly becomes an admirable character as the story continues. Both made a good team. Mako Mori's younger self played by Mana Ashida gives a remarkable performance in a quite a memorable sequence.

As wonderful as the Jagers vs Kaijus fight scenes were, I wanted to see more in the daylight. Cause there is so much detailed work that went into those designs of creatures and suits, that most of it would go unnoticed. Some of the footage of Kaiju attacking cities were shown in daylight and looked great, but were short in duration. But since many of the creatures had that glowing effect from their bodies, it's understandable that they would look better in the dark.

I liked the score by Ramin Djawadi especially the fantastic main theme of Pacific Rim which also featured music by Tom Morello, the track "Go Big or Go Extinct" which is a variation of the main theme is another one of my favourites.

I will be buying the NECA figures for sure, at least the Gipsy Danger ones in both 7" and the upcoming 18" version. I really want to own a human scale head bust or helmet mask of Gipsy Danger, hope NECA or somebody else makes them.

Warner Bros. and Legendary took a chance with this film and I hope it really pays off for them.

Thanks to Guillermo del Toro and all the artists involved for crafting this gorgeous chapter in entertainment and thanks to screenwriter Travis Beacham for birthing this story and world of Pacific Rim to fruition.

Pacific Rim is the most fun I had at the theatre in 2013 and is my favourite movie of this summer so far. I can't wait to see it again.

gipsy_danger_helmet.PNG

Just seen it today and didn't like it at all. Huge disappointment considering I've been dying to see it, my friend even fell asleep in the theater. The entire movie was boring except for when the robots actually battled the monsters, unlike the rest of the movie with useless dialog that could of been better spent on more battles. I don't care what's going on, I just want to see giant robots killing ****, simple as that and I didn't walk out of there feeling like I got enough of that. I also didn't like the casting choice, It was SOA Jax Teller as himself only fighting Monsters instead of Mayans, ridiculous. That Asian girl was also terrible. The only good actor was Charlie Day and Ron Perlman. The monsters did however look extremely awesome and so did the robots, only plus side, and it did look really awesome in 3D.

I just got back from second viewing. And my feelings remain the same. It is even more fun the second time, knowing when the best moments are just about to come up.

There are not many movies that you can say that about.

I know some people have not liked the acting in this movie, but I actually like these characters, even the scientists and the lead pilot. But of course my favorite is Ron Perlman.

I somewhat think that these monsters don't have the same personality as their classic Japanese counterparts, but I was impressed by the way their scale was portrayed.

Saw it tonight and was so glad to finally see a good and good looking monster movie. Loved the little seen in the credits. I will say this, I like the idea of having giant awesome robots in the future, but holy cats it rained nonstop in the movie. I wonder if it's because of the rifts effects on the area? But it's a must buy on dvd.
D

Came across this whilst reading the wiki entry on Pacific Rim, goes more than half way to explaining why the characters are as they are in the film and the dialogue seems oddly abrupt at times. I REALLY hope he does a Directors Cut for the more "mature" fans.

"Del Toro cut approximately an hour of material from the film. The unused footage explored the characters and their arcs in greater detail, but the director felt it was necessary to strike a balance, stating: "We cannot pretend this is Ibsen with monsters and giant robots. I cannot pretend I'm doing a profound reflection on mankind." Each character's arc was edited down to its minimal requirements.[28] The director wanted to keep the film around two hours, particularly for younger viewers. Alejandro González Iñárritu and Alfonso Cuarón helped with the editing; Iñárritu removed ten minutes of footage, while Cuarón removed "a few minutes" and rearranged several scenes.[52]

And he pretty much delivered the film he wanted to deliver based on this:

Del Toro envisioned Pacific Rim as an earnest, colorful adventure story, with an "incredibly airy and light feel", in contrast to the "super-brooding, super-dark, cynical summer movie". The director focused on "big, beautiful, sophisticated visuals" and action that would satisfy an adult audience, but has stated his "real hope" is to introduce the kaiju and mecha genres to a generation of children.[4] While the film draws heavily on these genres, it avoids direct references to previous works. Del Toro intended to create something original but "madly in love" with its influences, instilled with "epic beauty" and "operatic grandeur".[5]

So for all of us who felt they had watched the film of their childhood kaiju dreams he achieved exactly what he wanted. Now give me the darker, brooding directors cut or sequel!

Last edited:
Thanks CutThumb, that's great to know we can expect a better director's cut with more fleshed out characters for the Blu-ray

I saw it last night and posted this as my Facebook review:
... (that is the sound of my inner 10 year old smiling from ear to ear in pure joy)

I didn't mind the dialogue and had forewarning of the scientists, but felt that even they weren't a detraction. As someone else said, the talking scenes were there just to get from action scene to action scene.

And for all those calling out the Jaegers... you're all DEAD wrong. You want to get some ass-kicking done, you do it the old-fashioned way - brute force. Cherno Alpha all the way, baby!

I like Del Toro and this film wasn't bad. The only things bad about it was taking liberties with certain minor things.

Mako holding an umbrella without struggling or losing the place of a single hair on her head whilst stood near a helicopter. Unless they've invented frictionless everything it was hard to swallow.

Alarm, Kaiju spotted in the Pacific. Switch to America where it's taking ages for them to get out of bed, suit up, jump in the head, move down a really slow elevator to the sea. Guys! There's an emergency! Oh no you take your time.

Helicopters it takes to hold a Jaeger, now these things look like they are lots of megatons. 6 helicopters couldn't even lift a cargo ship.

Now I understand it's a movie but come on.

Mako was hard to understand, they made out like she'd seen something terrible, something so bad the emotional trauma would interfere with her ability to drift. I was expecting something like her parents were ripped from her arms when the Kaiju came and killed them in front of her innocent eyes. Nope she just saw a Kaiju and couldn't see her parents.

Is there any reason Burn Gorman can't be given a role where he plays someone normal. I don't think I've seen him in a normalish role since Torchwood. He had a weird voice for season 2 of Revenge.

Newton's cradle, wtf? That must be the most oddest and bizarre scene in a Del Toro movie.

Also why did everyone suddenly stop using mobile phones? "Quick we have to go back and warn them!!!!!"

*Drives all the way back to the compound, runs in* "STOP!!!!!"

All in all it was a good movie, I would watch it again...when it comes out on DVD.

Yeah the lack of communication technology was really annoying... especially when you consider it's a militarized unit...

The heli's flying the Jaeger's... unreal LOL They weight something between 2000-8000 tons depending of the model...

Last edited:
Still can't believe Charlie Hunnam was the little Nathan from ***** as Folk to Sons of Anarchy to Pacific Rim. That boy done good.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back