Pacific Rim (Post-release)

Sorry for double post. I just read the bad reviews by movie critics. They are all right. If monsters vs robots is not your thing. This is not your movie.

My FB posts.
Best Movie EVER!!! Calling all Monsters... A lesson we learned from Capt Kirk and Will Smith; sometimes you just have to Punch the Alien in the Face. If they are giant monster aliens, build giant monster robots. Welcome to Earth!

Uh, not to be sexist but it is not a "girl" movie. It's only monsters vs robots. That's it. That's the whole movie. The robots punch the alien monsters in the face. The alien monsters keep getting bigger and badder. There is some kind of side story about a lost shoe and bloody noses. Whatever. "Engage elbow rocket!!!" "Aim for the monsters face"

I hated with the idiot scientist duo with the intensity of 1000 suns. Apart from that, easily the best flick of the summer. Well done Guillermo del Toro!!

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Everything I wanted and MORE!!!! A movie that had heart, action, optimism, humor, danger, love, vengeance and everything in between!!! GIANT ****ING ROBOTS BEATING THE **** OUT OF KAIJU!!!! LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!

It's so maddeningly close to being a 'perfect' film that it's driving me crazy too! I WILL have it on disc as soon as it comes out!!!

Loved the little extra mid credits scene too!

Pretty neat film. I came into this having literally no idea what to expect ( other than giant robots beating the crap out of aliens ) and it turned out very good. Lots of spectacle, lots of action. I found some of the actors annoying as heck but it certainly didn't ruin it or anything. I think Charlie Day and Ron Perlman kinda steal the show though....they were hilarious.

Solid 7.5/10.

EDIT- What was in the mid credits scene? I'm so mad I didn't stay now.

My cheeks hurt. I was grinning for the entire flick. Holy crap, I think this is the most entertaining movie I've seen since Independence Day. What a rush, what fun! Forget physics, forget plot holes, its just a fun movie that works. Imax 3D if you can't, don't sell yourself short here, this movie needs to be seen on the largest screen ever.

EDIT- What was in the mid credits scene? I'm so mad I didn't stay now.

Just go see the movie again dude. I won't spoil it for you, but if you like Ron Perlman in the movie, you'll like this last scene.

****ing AWESOME is right! I will definitely buy this one and add it to my collection. I felt like an ten year old watching this. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would and found myself extremely disappointed when it ended. I wanted more! I'm hoping this flick does well enough to get a much deserved sequel. I want to see more of the aliens and see us bring the fight to them with even bigger and badder monsters and Jaegers!

Gotta go find a frame for the poster I got with my ticket last night!

More than anything else I found myself wishing Ray Harryhausen could have lived just a little longer to have been able to see this film. He’d have enjoyed it as much as I did! First film I can really say all the CGI seemed to have mass , gravity and character to it. The scale of the effects work is truly superb, from the collapsing iron giants , ocean rearing monsters, glorious neon cities, and the enormous jaegar docking port. Stunning. And with fight sequences you can actually follow!
If I had been twelve again this would have been the best film I’d ever seen. As it is it was just great, great fun. It feels like a holiday film though , so I’m surprised they opened it about two weeks too early in my opinion over here. Its something a bunch of teenagers would go to see time and again , so I’m glad I managed it whilst it was dead quiet.
Talking of timing the opening rips through the story at breakneck speed and doesn’t really pause too long for breath at any point. But its the character writing that definitely IS a bit juvenile and its spot the stereotype for most of them. I guess that’s the target audience driving the story though. Strangely it’s the jaegars that literally stand out the most, but that’s probably because they are two hundred feet high.
I think this will do great box office outside of the US ,specially with the Pacific Rim countries Japan and China, it had that kind of Iron Man 3 appeal built into it. Clever marketing to set it in Hong Kong then. Only thing that really grated were the two scientists. I’d have given anything to see them crushed by a monster, falling debris or accidental sat on by a jaegar.
Great film, its been a really good summer so far

Good movie but not great. I'll still buy this on BD though, that's for sure.

Positives first - the fight scenes were AMAZING. Like jaw-dropping good. Easily the best action scenes of the year, yes better than MoS. I found myself clenching my hands in the theater during the HK battle, you really got a sense of danger (despite not being emotionally invested in any of the characters, more on that later). I LOVE the score, it had a boyish cool center with Saturday morning cartoon, anime, and video game boss battle sprinkled all over it. Production value was way off the charts, you can see every penny they spent on that massive budget not only in CGI but also their practical effects and their sets. The pace was great, slow in the middle when they first get to HK Shatterdome but wasn't too bad. Overall writing was acceptable, nothing really original about the story and typical small plot holes for these types of films, but it worked and they got the movie to start off really strong. The movie knew its strengths (kaiju/mecha big battles) and played to it, thus avoiding the mistake Transformers made... well for the most part, which brings me to the negatives.

The acting was subpar, at best. It's not TERRIBLE - for a mindless popcorn flick like this, the acting was good enough to get me from one battle to the next. But there were parts throughout where I was cringing. Some of it was the script, A LOT of it was the actors, namely Hunnam (whose American accent was fading towards the end, wtf was that), Kikuchi (they made her WAYYY too fobby Asian), and Kazinsky (this guy was just terrible). Elba was unmemorable, I know he's got acting chops so I'm guessing this had a lot to do with the script. Martini was ok but his Aussie accent was also fading in the end; seriously what is up with the spotty accents?!? Day, Gorman, and Pearlman as comic relief was an epic fail, they were just annoying and from the reviews, it seems NOBODY found them funny at all. In fact Pearlman's character was completely pointless! Lastly, final battle in deep sea felt a little anti-climatic, maybe it was because I was spoiled by the HK battle.

Going back to my first comment on this movie being good but not great, it could've been a lot better with some small tweaks. I think the movie did somewhat fall victim to trying to squeeze human character development into a film where the audience doesn't care, and what really hurt it was they cast actors who failed to execute. I felt if they toned back the connections they tried to establish, namely between Raleigh and Mako, the acting would've been a lot more tolerable. Hell my vote is just to re-cast those two.

All in all, GDT delivers yet again and I walked out of the theater satisfied. I'll definitely be rooting for this movie in the box office, hope it does better than the projections. It's already exceeded the midnight box office haul expectations, hoping that trend continues through the weekend!

More than anything else I found myself wishing Ray Harryhausen could have lived just a little longer to have been able to see this film. He’d have enjoyed it as much as I did! First film I can really say all the CGI seemed to have mass , gravity and character to it. The scale of the effects work is truly superb, from the collapsing iron giants , ocean rearing monsters, glorious neon cities, and the enormous jaegar docking port. Stunning. And with fight sequences you can actually follow!

There WAS a Harry tribute at the very end of the credits, dedicated to him and another guy. I'm assuming a Japanese Kaiju movie maker.

BTW, anyone else who watched the movie think the head was going to be jettisoned? I kept thinking they way they kept showing it being lowered into place and locked in that it was going to be ejected at the end.

BTW, anyone else who watched the movie think the head was going to be jettisoned? I kept thinking they way they kept showing it being lowered into place and locked in that it was going to be ejected at the end.

I DID!!! I figured it would be the escape pod lol. I was also hoping they'd make an Indian robot with 10 arms like one of those hindu gods lol.

I enjoyed the movie so much. One of the scientists reminded me of JJ abrams and the main lead actor kept screaming Channing Tatum to me lol. Weird I know. Can't wait to catch this one the biggest freaking screen I can find

I hope someone makes a 20ish inch plus statue of Gipsy Danger. I'd place an order in a heartbeat!

Yes. Great movie. I think my favorite Kaiju is Knifehead...His entrance was epic. Striker Eureka was the most aesthetically pleasing. He was like the Ferarri of Jaegers. And of course the Russian had a untouched, 1st generation design for their Jaeger, just like the AK-47.

I was really expecting more from the Crimson Typhoon. Thundercloud formation was still good.

Just great, gonna be nice to show my kids this one when they're older.

Yeah I didn't get why the Chinese built one with 3 arms that required triplets, and it didn't seem marginally better than a 2-pilot jaeger. It did have that sick move where it flipped up, spun its lower body, and then used that momentum to throw the kaiju across the bay, that was awesome!

You would think with a 3-arm jaeger, they'd give it 3 plasma cannons. That would be cheat code galore.

There was a one-liner that I really loved. It totally escapes me now and it's bugging me...:confused

Yeah, Crimson at least had some acrobatic skills. Cherno was just a giant tomb...:(

And Eldris Elba is the man! I didn't really think his acting was that bad. "Two rules: Rule #1. Don't ever touch me again and rule #2. Don't ever touch me again!!" :lol

Also, was that Japan's Jaeger, Coyote Tango, in the drift scene where Mako is saved?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back