Foam vs. Fiberglass

lechnoid

I'm new to this. VERY new. I just got done assembling my very first pep file ever...a Witch King helmet. I've been lurking for a while. I have to say, you guys do some very impressive work!

I poking around, I just seem to be missing info on the basics.

For my helmet, I'll be doing some basic reinforcement to hold shape while I put on the 1st layer of resin. This seems to be the universally accepted next step once the paper foundation is assembled. My problem is I need to figure out what is next after that first layer of resin.

I've seen a lot of both fiberglass and foam. If I understand correctly, the differences is that foam is lighter, but fiberglass is more durable. I'm sure there's more to it, but I'm ignorant of further differences. Materials scientist, I am not. If the differences I listed are the only major ones, I would prefer the durability. I have a hunch that my helmet will be hitting some door frames in course of its wearing.

I'm sure there's guides or stickies that I've missed, so I tossed on my flame retardant suit ahead of time. Thanks ahead of time for guidance or advice.

Hi lechnoid,

From what you have posted it looks like there is a little confusion. (I'm not the expert but here's my take on it) there are 2 main methods of using Pepakura.

1) The paper > resin > fiberglass > bondo route
2) The foam > plastidip > bondo route.

The main difference in the builds is the initial starter materials. When you pep for foam you don't need alot of the fiddly folds and the material will end up lighter once finished. The plans you use are also different as they incorporate the thickness of the foam to make some of the edges you manually create when you paper pep. Both types of build require some form of strengthening before you start the shaping process, and both methods can be brittle but are easily repairable. As it looks like you have made the paper Pep already I'd stick with that and see how it comes out. If not then try out the foam. Personally I have yet to make a foam build for what I've made so far ( alot of it isn't on these boards, I'm somewhat of a lurker like yourself).

When I make my Paper pep's I resin both inside and out and then Fiberglass the inside. If its to fiddly to Fiberglass the inside I use Rondo. which is Bondo + Fiberglass resin to make it runny enough to essentially slush cast the inside. You can find the process here:

http://protagonist4hire.blogspot.com/2012/01/prop-building-101-part-1-building.html

Its a bit messy and not as strong as Fiber glassing the inside BUT it does get to the parts your fingers cant reach. This link is to the blog of the guy that made me realize the leap from lurking to making isn't that great and I actually stood a chance of doing it.

THORSSOLI really knows his stuff, you might want to check out some of his other builds here and on the 405th

Hope it all helps.

Xaosbringer.

Well that makes more sense! LOL, thanks!

Just to be sure, resin = fiberglass resin just like I would mix it if I were doing actual fiberglass work...correct?

I like the idea of Rondo. There's a lot of small spaces on this that I won't be able to get into. It's a great idea. About what is the mix ratio between the two? I'll admit, I'm hesitant to coat in Bondo. I have limited experience with it, but from what I have had it tends to crack or break with the slightest of trauma. Though I can see the logic with using Bondo as far as tweaking, sanding, and adjusting after the fact.

The link for the blog doesn't work. It goes to the blog, but not the specific one I think you were pointing me to.

Hey, I use rondo a lot on the helmets i build. I've seen a lot of people who use different ratios and it seems like it ends up being personal preference. The more bondo you put in the easier it is to sand, the more resin the harder and more durable it is. I usually do 2/3 bondo 1/3 resin.

Yup on both counts, Resin = Fiberglass resin and Yup mix it up as if you were going to put down the matting and paint it on.

Sorry the link didn't work :( Its one I have bookmarked so it goes there straight away. If you can get to the blog site its the "Prop Building 101 Part 1: Building a Helmet from Pepakura " 2012 Jan archive (listed on the left hand archive menu).

I must be even newer to this, because I'm still on trying to figure out how to do the pep print out. I know I've read that card stock is the recommended method, but -- how are you supposed to print out a forearm piece on a printer sheet of paper???

Thank you for the info, Pep is new to me and I'm trying my first soon: Red Hood.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, what paints the best, rondo, bondo, resin?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back