new to the forum, here's a 1/34 scale highway section

futurepast

Hi fellow movie model boffins, I'm new to the site. I have gotten alot of inspiration from this forum, so I thought it's only fair to show what I've done, Don't really know where to start so here is a broken elevated highway section in 1/34 scale. All roadway and gantry lighting are on flicker circuits, cars wired with led's and some have detailed interiors and dash and gps screen illumination. It's about 98% finished and is basically a homage to just about every disaster movie I've seen, but was mainly inspired by the 2012 movie. hope you guys like it. IMG_0775.JPGIMG_0780.JPGDSC03605.JPGDSC03577.JPG

IMG_1090.JPGIMG_1112.JPGIMG_1108.JPGIMG_1070.JPGIMG_1095.JPG

Some daytime pics, now that I think about it it's only about 80% done. I'm going to add more detail and light dirt effects to the cars, I also want to add a crash scene maybe with the BMW and the Honda. Still a bit of wiring to be hidden. The guard rails have bent sections to be added where the road has broken away I would fit them now but when I work on it they get in the way. Looking at adding some re-bar and concrete chunks, maybe some broken cable trunking under the road. The roadway is made out of craft wood with a hollow section in the middle for wiring and circuits, I'm going to make a platform and have the whole thing teetering on a single crumbling highway support, probably made out of craft wood with a long threaded heavy duty rod to go through the support bolting everything together.

Wow, this is looking great! I like your idea about using the single highway support as a base, too.
Definitely some "miniature dirt" effects will work well for the cars. That did wonders on a toy garbage truck I did a few years ago, instantly transforming it from 'toy' to 'piece of hardware'. One other thing to possibly consider is to use some fine steel wool to lightly buff the paint. That seems to scale down the shine very nicely!

Any way for you to wire one or perhaps two car signal lights to blink? Might add a nice touch of life.

Welcome to the forum! This is a great start!! :thumbsup

Wow, this is looking great! I like your idea about using the single highway support as a base, too.
Definitely some "miniature dirt" effects will work well for the cars. That did wonders on a toy garbage truck I did a few years ago, instantly transforming it from 'toy' to 'piece of hardware'. One other thing to possibly consider is to use some fine steel wool to lightly buff the paint. That seems to scale down the shine very nicely!

Any way for you to wire one or perhaps two car signal lights to blink? Might add a nice touch of life.

Welcome to the forum! This is a great start!! :thumbsup

Hey, thanks!. I have rigged all of the road and gantry lights (6 in total) with flickering electronic candle circuits, they all flicker out of sequence. The 300C has gauge and nav screen lights, the police car has flashing red/ blue, and the taxi has the "occupied" light and a separate interior light. I have thought about one of the cars to have it's hazard lights flashing. I do have a BMW Z4 toy in the same scale it has an alarm and flashing lights when you open one of its doors, I'm thinking of replacing the RX7 with it. Just have to wire in something to remotely trigger it.

Crashed the Honda!

I used metal tape stuck together ( both adhesive sides facing each other ) and basically cut and formed the panels, only two layers of tape didn't provide much working support, but it allowed just enough detail to come through.

Then painted the panels and carefully crushed them, I painted the car with flat black acrylic where the damage would be. Then added some styrene detail a little more paint and tack glued the panels in place. Personally I wouldn't want to go any smaller than 1/34.IMG_1568.JPGIMG_1571.JPGIMG_1577.JPGIMG_1605.JPGIMG_1627.JPGIMG_1631.JPGIMG_1655.JPGIMG_1661.JPGIMG_1689.JPGIMG_1715.JPGIMG_1787.JPGIMG_1735.JPG

Added more detail to the Honda, head smash on the windscreen and a deployed airbag, re-painted the interior. Did a lot to the chevy caprice cop car too, added 3 antennas scratch built computer from styrene built around a mini green led. Cut out a dash section dash and fitted a red led with diffuser, re-painted interior.IMG_2741.JPGIMG_2735.JPGIMG_2659.JPGIMG_2631.JPG

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back