Boots "Close Enough" Close Enoughs (Yeah you read that right!)

2007brandony

Wanted to share...

I'm at the starting gate to begin constructing my DREDD. I've got pieces coming in almost daily. Picking up a better dremel today to begin trimming armor pieces and helmet. It's looking to be a busy summer for me. Not to mention, I'm planning on doing a set for my 11 year old son too.

I wanted to pick up the "close enough" Tuzos that are only available in the UK, but couldn't justify the shipping cost to Canada (more than the boots themselves!).

Doing 2 sets of DREDD can be quickly draining on the pocket book so I thought I'd pass along a set of "close enough" close enough boots I found online for $79.99 (regular $159.00, but i got mine at the time for $73.00) at Amazon.com. They look nice and the price was right. With some minor additions and mods, I think these babies will look pretty good.

BILT Explorer H2O Waterproof Adventure Boots - 12, Black : Amazon.com : Automotive

I've sent payment for a set of Art Andrew's SA shin and toe castings and plan on removing and replacing leather straps with buckles like the movie ones. The soles may be different, but I'm not concerned.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Wanted to share...

I'm at the starting gate to begin constructing my DREDD. I've got pieces coming in almost daily. Picking up a better dremel today to begin trimming armor pieces and helmet. It's looking to be a busy summer for me. Not to mention, I'm planning on doing a set for my 11 year old son too.

I wanted to pick up the "close enough" Tuzos that are only available in the UK, but couldn't justify the shipping cost to Canada (more than the boots themselves!).

Doing 2 sets of DREDD can be quickly draining on the pocket book so I thought I'd pass along a set of "close enough" close enough boots I found online for $79.99 (regular $159.00, but i got mine at the time for $73.00) at Amazon.com. They look nice and the price was right. With some minor additions and mods, I think these babies will look pretty good.

BILT Explorer H2O Waterproof Adventure Boots - 12, Black : Amazon.com : Automotive

I've sent payment for a set of Art Andrew's SA shin and toe castings and plan on removing and replacing leather straps with buckles like the movie ones. The soles may be different, but I'm not concerned.

Thoughts?

Just getting into the whole costuming thing, and I'm starting with Dredd!
Wow! You're brave man, two Dredds at once. Thanks for the link.
I'm on an ultra budget and these look pretty close enough. I think I'll end up doing the same modifications and add the shin and toe guards.

Search field will be my new friend!

Thanks again.

These are the Tuzo Sk9t Boots that a lot of folk are using as a base boot.
There has been a bit of trouble shipping from the UK though.
Tuzo SK9T Motorbike Black Waterproof Motorcycle Adventure Touring Boots Size 11 | eBay

Yep, those are the ones. The Tuzos are my first choice. Again, too bad about the shipping charges to the US/Canada.
I got the Bilt Explorer in today. They feel pretty comfy, but be advised they fit a 1/2 size smaller. I'm a 9 1/2 and I'm glad I read the reviews.

Here is a (darkish iPhone) look. Again, I think they'll look decent with the shin and toe guards (and they even have the gear shift pattern on the top of the boot).
photo (2).JPG

Btw, I was checking out the parent site of the Amazon vendor and they've got another Bilt boot WITHOUT any buckles or external fastener tabs for $59.99! This might even be a better deal. You can just surface mount the buckles without worrying about any further mods.
BILT - Scirocco Waterproof Leather Motorcycle Boots - Waterproof - Motorcycle Boots - Street - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

UPDATE:

Shins and toes (from the awesome Art Andrew) painted and affixed on the boots.
Waiting on my Sidi buckles, then some light weathering and these boots are finito!

photo 1 (7).JPG
photo 2 (7).JPG

Looks very nice, I see we have the same armor kit :)

I'm reluctant ordering boots and gloves before I find the correct jacket and pant, I've seen nice items but far too pricey so I'm looking for second hand items in my country... it takes a lot of patience, I've seen Bilt Explorer are back at 159$, I might go for the tuzo then...

Looks very nice, I see we have the same armor kit :)

I'm reluctant ordering boots and gloves before I find the correct jacket and pant, I've seen nice items but far too pricey so I'm looking for second hand items in my country... it takes a lot of patience, I've seen Bilt Explorer are back at 159$, I might go for the tuzo then...

I'd definitely take the Tuzo's over the Bilts. $$$ was a major issue in getting the Tuzos to Canada and at $73.00, the Bits won.

Can't wait to see your DREDD gear once you've picked up the jacket and pants. Have you mounted the armor on a vest yet?

not yet, I still have to figure out how I'm going to do the cloth parts of the shoulders, I have the resin parts but sewing is not really my cup of tea.

Quick update:
The E6000 did not take to the shins very well. I was able to pull it off fairly easily, even after letting it sit and cure for 2 weeks. Went with the industrial Velcro and it was much more successful.
(The E6000 on the toes however is solid)

Good luck with the SIDI buckles.

Word is the crossfire spares were discontinued, and some of the only ones you can buy now are the STs which are similar but different.

You may have some luck finding used Crossfire boots and cannibalizing the parts from them.

I see that... well even it they were available, they would cost the price of the boots...

it's not like it's the last thing I need to complete the costume :D far from it, so I have time to find similar stripes, and I'm not looking for perfect accuracy.

I got the Tuzos, they are very nice ! I should check on sidi buckles now

And in the meantime I found my jacket :)
Awesome news man! Can't wait to see your build :thumbsup

Good luck with the SIDI buckles.

Word is the crossfire spares were discontinued, and some of the only ones you can buy now are the STs which are similar but different.

You may have some luck finding used Crossfire boots and cannibalizing the parts from them.

I see that... well even it they were available, they would cost the price of the boots...

it's not like it's the last thing I need to complete the costume :D far from it, so I have time to find similar stripes, and I'm not looking for perfect accuracy.

At this point, I'm going to be foregoing the sidi buckles :(

At least the Tuzo's have great looking buckles included. I think you're pretty set Naphaniel :cheers

8499079266_4e49260f89_o.jpg

The buckles on the background boots weren't SIDI crossfires, they were another type with a silver stripe painted on them.

Not sure what brand/model they are, but I'm sure with some digging you could find out, and I'll bet they are cheaper, too!

Alternatively, just paint a silver stripe on whatever buckles you have. Pretty sure that is what the prop department did.

Some pictures of my Tuzos, I'm still waiting for my heels parts, but the rest are done for now, I found a pair of sidi straps for nothing glued it on the SK9T logo to have the 3 straps look instead of two, glued the toes, velcroed the shins, killed the shine with glass paper and weathered a bit with rub'n buff.

IMAG2804.jpg

IMAG2807.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG2807.jpg
    IMAG2807.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 204
Some pictures of my Tuzos, I'm still waiting for my heels parts, but the rest are done for now, I found a pair of sidi straps for nothing glued it on the SK9T logo to have the 3 straps look instead of two, glued the toes, velcroed the shins, killed the shine with glass paper and weathered a bit with rub'n buff.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CNME8J9Yh5Q/UkmL4q416zI/AAAAAAAADBI/4noNt3JjHeM/s576/IMAG2804.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wP0x5-EOL_A/UkmL4vOLmsI/AAAAAAAADA4/9dB-93h_A1k/s576/IMAG2807.jpg

The third buckle completes the look. Great job will the finishing!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-CNME8J9Yh5Q/UkmL4q416zI/AAAAAAAADBI/4noNt3JjHeM/s576/IMAG2804.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wP0x5-EOL_A/UkmL4vOLmsI/AAAAAAAADA4/9dB-93h_A1k/s576/IMAG2807.jpg

Wow! Those Tuzo's turned out fantastic! Awesome adding the third strap. You look well sorted Judge.

Thanks I'm rushing to be able to wear my costume in the biggest con of the year here in Belgium in two weeks, but I'm still waiting for some parts (knee/elbow), my vest is half complete, I have to make mag pouches, fix a new visor in the helmet, make the straps for the holster, fix the heels... woah. :|

Thanks I'm rushing to be able to wear my costume in the biggest con of the year here in Belgium in two weeks, but I'm still waiting for some parts (knee/elbow), my vest is half complete, I have to make mag pouches, fix a new visor in the helmet, make the straps for the holster, fix the heels... woah. :|

You can do it!
egape3ur.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back