James Bond "Spy Who Loved Me" Lotus Sub Car to be auctioned off

newworld

While Roger Moore might be one of the lamer Bonds, I've always had a soft spot for "The Spy Who Loved Me". Among the great gadgets in the movie was the Lotus Esprit that turned into a submarine. Loved it!

It's going to be auctioned off later this year:

Bond Car

I still have one of the toys.

ertl_007_lotus.jpg

I saw this film when I was 10.

I dreamed about this car for years thereafter.

Finally picked me up a model 30 years later :lol

Thanks for the info Don ! Very curious to see what this will fetch.

This is what got me, from
Read more: Ferris Bueller's fake Ferrari and James Bond's submersible Lotus up for auction | Fox News

Interestingly, after its filming duties, the car [Lotus] was kept in a storage unit in Long Island for around 10 years, hidden away under blankets. Once the storage contract expired, the unit was put up ‘blind’ for public auction and a local couple paid a small fee to take ownership not knowing what would be lying under all the blankets.

I'd have been bouncing off the walls if I'd pulled off the blankets and found that.

lotus edit - Copy.jpg
There used to be a Bond museum in the lake district which had some 25 cars from the movies. The underwater shell for close ups was in very poor shape so I didn't take a pic of it. They were owned by a very rich retired dentist, who has since sold the cars, most of which seemed to go to the USA. Very sad when he shut it, I used to go twice a year, and to the ' cars of the stars' which had everything you could ever want to see.

So which car is coming up for sale? There were multiple shells made. I know of one that got rescued from the Bahamas (where it was painted red) and turned into a touring car, complete with a fake "water" base. That's been around a while now, I guess. This sounds like the actual operable submarine. I just didn't realize it was "lost" all these years...... Any pictures surface of the actual car?

Gene

RM auctions has some nice photos on their website - 007 Lotus Esprit 'Submarine Car' | London 2013 | RM AUCTIONS. Ironically, their L.A. office is just down the road from me. The car is already in London, so i didn't get to see it in person. But, as it turns out, I HAD seen it in person before. This particular car was at the Petersen Museum here in L.A. a while ago. The story of it being 'discovered' in a storage auction is true - but that happened in the late '80's, and the car was subsequently restored, toured, and now is being sold.

Gene

That's a good question. I recall that one of the shells was recovered from the Bahamas where it had been painted red. Story goes that it was one of the insert shells - either for the dive planes or for the missile launch. It had been painted red ans was sitting out, exposed to the elements. It was restored and made "complete" and toured. I guess that means that the insert cars used for the retracting wheels, extending dive planes, and the missile launch were made up of a FULL body, not just the portion that they were framing the shot for. (I need to check the Taschen book on this.......)

Gene

I was at the museum a couple of weeks ago. Thought this was quite funny from inside the jet boat from The World Is Not Enough

IMG-20130824-00600.jpg

IMG-20130824-00586.jpg

This was pretty cool as well :D

IMG-20130824-00579.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back