Sorsha from Willow Costume Build

Avianna

Making this thread to keep me motivated to work and to post stuff so I can get feedback. I'm making this costume so I can hopefully compete in it at some point. I'm not a big Masque competitor, but I'd like to try it out using one of my dream costumes.

Ref Shots
tumblr_m8k9moH7Np1qaqhb6o1_500.jpg
1016112_10151693571682728_569028056_n.jpg
DifferenceOfRef.jpg

Now on to the build. I'm hoping to get it mostly done for D*C this year. I say mostly, because upon getting the remastered DVD I realized her undershirt is very fine chain mail and I don't think I'll have time to finish that before D*C.

So far, I have done TONS of research on Willow, the costume designs behind the movie, the appropriate materials of the 'time,' on so on and so on.

Here's what I've got so far. The build is finally starting within the next week.

SorshaHair.jpg
Hair is a bit bright now, but I plan on dying it with a bit of brown to make it more natural.

156464_765232951842_614944243_n.jpg
This is gonna be 'stained' to looked used when done. About halfway through

994299_802635097642_1613985099_n.jpg
Here's some materials I horded to get started. I decided to try out Worbla, just to see what the hopla was about. I'm gonna use it for the blades, helmet, leg and arm bracers. All other armor I am hoping to craft out of leather (first time working with leather *_*)

Soooo here goes!

Last edited:
Yes let me know how easy the worbla is to work with so I can decide if I want to dabble in some armor work ;)

Also, Sorsha...:love Used to watch that movie repeatedly...good luck

As far as screenshots, I think playing the dvd in your computer and VLC has some simple commands for screenshots...

Yes let me know how easy the worbla is to work with so I can decide if I want to dabble in some armor work ;)

Also, Sorsha...:love Used to watch that movie repeatedly...good luck

As far as screenshots, I think playing the dvd in your computer and VLC has some simple commands for screenshots...

The problem I am having is that my computer doesn't play bluray :(

And thanks for the luck. This is probably one of my most complicated costumes to date!

Its been a while but here's some progress!

549480_813630263242_1086720686_n-2 copy.jpg
Contacts! I wish there was a bit more brown going towards the center, however just standing in front of me in indirect light looks pretty convincing.

733760_815313519982_1254309662_n.jpg
My first time working with leather. The breast plate, shoulder armor, belt and codpiece will all be leather. The shin guards and bracers are gonna be made out of Worbla. This way there is a balance of the 'real steal' in the helmet, bracers and shin guards. And the leather armor of the main costume.

Super excited with how the leather pieces are looking and how they look to fit

1001097_816409239152_1944366239_n.jpg

vlcsnap-2013-06-28-00h09m49s242.png

Yay! The helmet it coming together nicely. I'm using a nice costume army helmet for the base. Inside it has an adjustable sweat band; which helps with the comfort level. It also has a structure on the inside already, which will help keep the leather flap in place

All the items I am adding to the helmet are craft foam covered in Worbla. Some of the pieces look oddly big in this photo because how they are set, but once they are put on the helmet in their proper angle it will look fine.

I also cut into my molded breast plate tonight. I have to add some things to it, but its looking really great! I need to get some new dremel tools to drill holes!

Planning on working on the duster and britches tomorrow before work. :3

always had a bit of a thing for sorsha since i first saw willow :)

progress looks great so far, looking forward to see how it comes along

SorshaProgressUnpaintedHelmArmor.jpg

Quick update! Here's my unpainted helmet without its topper. And my Shinguards and wristguards painted and awaiting straps.

The rest of the armor is boiled leather. WISH ME LUCK! This is my first time working with leather.

Hi, it's looking really good and Im Impressed with how you've gone about making the helmet but I think the proportions are slightly off. IMO you should sand down the edges of the Micky mouse ears and the base ball cap visor just so that they bend in more with the main body of the helmet. Doing this will also reduce the wavy lines you've got on the worbia. Sorry if this sounds harsh, I'm trying to help and I'd love to see this project done really well, by the way you look the part, quite stunning.

Hi, it's looking really good and Im Impressed with how you've gone about making the helmet but I think the proportions are slightly off. IMO you should sand down the edges of the Micky mouse ears and the base ball cap visor just so that they bend in more with the main body of the helmet. Doing this will also reduce the wavy lines you've got on the worbia. Sorry if this sounds harsh, I'm trying to help and I'd love to see this project done really well, by the way you look the part, quite stunning.

I see where you're going with that. When I did the measurements for the foamies that are sandwiched between the Worbla, I did not account for the seam allowance the worbla would need to encase the foamies properly. So I can't cut them down at this point without adding worbla over parts. And as I've found out with the sword, its hard to make worbla look nice and flat again once you've layered it like that. Same thing with the visor.

If you've worked with Worbla and have any ideas as to how I might trim it down and still make it look uniform, I'm all ears :D

The wavy lines however will be fix. In the photo I had just warmed them up and glued then down. Now that everything is together and dry, I can go in and clean things up.

Last edited:
You could sand down the worbla and then build up to help cure the slightly wavy edges. Check out this tutorial if you haven't already seen it.
How to give your Wonderflex/Worbla a smoother texture | HONEY.BOBA

I'm not sure if I can use that for the 'ears' though since the foamie is in them. But the edges I just need to reheat and mold better. When I was putting the bottom edge on the helmet I had to heat it up as I bonded it so it would form to the helmet better. In the process of doing that I made the outside look a little messy. I just need to heat it up and reform it a bit. Will save time sanding.

Thank you for the tutorial :D

I waited till the Remastered HD BluRay came out in March to start the project. Mostly because I used a screenshot program to take photos of her costume from all different angles. I have a folder of over 500 shots of her. The remastered DVD has been the best thing ever for figuring out fabrics and little details.

After DragonCon I might do more research to update the helmet. For now I think I'll fix the warped edges with heat and call it a day on the helmet. Thanks for the help Closet Batfan

I LOVE a bit of Willow! This is a great project, very original. I love the attention to detail and all the thought that's going in to it. GREAT STUFF!

1234244_821487671932_338425420_n.jpg

For my first time working with leather this arm isn't coming out to bad. I do however, not like the breastplate as much. I'll have to tinker with it more this weekend. I made the breastplate and then started on the thick 'waist belt' to go over it, but it doesn't sit as nice as I would like it too. I wish I would have made both pieces just been the same piece. Oh well, you learn.

**Also, when they are all attached, it should look more accurate. These are literally just laying on my arm.

I love this!!! One of my fav movies growing up! Definitely a unique build and can't wait to see more!
Thank you! I like your work too!

999441_822152873862_1223549023_n.jpg
Here's a photo of the armor before I painted it. I'm currently putting rivets into the belt. Its fully painted now and just needs to be put back together. (In the photo I tested out how it would go together with just some cheap twine)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back