New 10th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote

So, Wand Co. got back to me and it seems still possible for them to repair 10th Doctor Sonics with faulty batteries. They offered me to do this for 30 GBP including international shipping, which I think is fair enough for a three year old device.
So I guess I'll do that and not tinker with the Sonic myself, since the battery alone would cost me about 10 GBP including shipping.

Wand Co. just keep amazing me with their brilliant service. [emoji106]
So I hope for more Doctor Who related stuff from them, because I'll be happy to buy everything they throw at us [emoji4]

Last edited:
wow that's incredible and very awesome that they can replace it. When I emailed them, they told me the best they could do was offer a replacement with a 11th/12th Sonic which I didn't want to do.

So, Wand Co. got back to me and it seems still possible for them to repair 10th Doctor Sonics with faulty batteries. They offered me to do this for 30 GBP including international shipping, which I think is fair enough for a three year old device.
So I guess I'll do that and not tinker with the Sonic myself, since the battery alone would cost me about 10 GBP including shipping.

Wand Co. just keep amazing me with their brilliant service. [emoji106]
So I hope for more Doctor Who related stuff from them, because I'll be happy to buy everything they throw at us [emoji4]

- - - Updated - - -

For those who had battery problems, does your remote die instantly in remote mode BUT last a while when in "fx" mode? I noticed that last night, i could have it in toy mode for a long time but as soon as i went into remote mode, it just turns off.

I have one with apparently a dead battery. It will not charge or indicate it is charging. When plugged in it says it if Fully Charged and the light is green. It works only while plugged in.

So now it has become useless except to display.

By this time you must have a suggestion on what battery can be used to replace this. Please provide what ever info you can even if its just the mAh and other parameters I need to locate a replacement.

Thanks!

That's a fair concern - the lithium polymer battery is a custom design and it's not user-accessible.

The battery is rated to hold 80% of its initial capacity after 300 charge/discharge cycles, and we expect that for average usage, the product will run for around 5 days between charges, so the battery should reach this 80% point after around 4 years and still be perfectly usable after 10 years. Of course, most people won't continue to use the product every day for years, so it's unlikely that they'll ever "wear out" the battery.

Of course, not all manufacturers' products actually meet their own specifications, but we chose to spend the extra money buying a battery from one of the high-quality LiPo manufacturers, rather than just going for the cheapest option. Having visited their factory (where I saw them making similar batteries for a wrist-worn fitness device for an extremely well-known brand), I'm confident that they really do have a quality-focussed approach to manufacture.

I hope that helps and makes sense.

Cheers,

Richard

I just got one on eBay that claimed was in unused condition. This describes exactly what happens.
Did anyone ever figure how to fix this? New battery? Which one is the majority rule favorite?

I just got mine. Quick question. I have charged it for about 30 minutes and unplugged it and the device is inactive. Does nothing. Is this bad, or is it absolutely necessary to give it the full 2 hours before ANY use is possible?

It works fine while plugged in, although when it's charging the light is not orange, it is green as though fully charged, and the voice instantly says "power cell regenerated". I'm beginning to think I have a faulty model...? Is there a way to fix, or must I return it? Or will charging for a long time allow it to recalibrate where it thinks the battery level is? (I had a similar problem with an old phone)

I have two that I purchased when it came out and tried charging recently and it does the same thing as others have mentioned. It would be green when plugged, but does not have a charge when unplugged. I contacted The Wand Company and here’s their response:

Thank you so much for getting in touch with us.

I'm really sorry to hear your Sonic is no longer holding a charge as it should. As you may be aware, the Tenth Sonic contains a very small lithium polymer battery. Which, if left uncharged for a long period of time (even if not being used) can become damaged. It sounds like this is what has happened to your Sonic.

Unfortunately, we are no longer manufacturing our Tenth Sonic Screwdriver. We do now offer a battery replacement process for the Tenth Sonic. For this process, we would ask that you send us back your Sonic alone in a small padded envelope and as soon as we receive it, we will send it to our workshop for the battery replacement process. Because this process can be both a bit tricky and time-consuming, we are making it available at the cost of £40 (GBP). To avoid delays, as soon we receive your Sonic, we will send you back one of our previously refurbished Sonics. These are Sonics that have had brand new battery replacements and have been tested to ensure they are fully functioning. You will therefore not get back the exact sonic that you send us.

Alternatively, if you would like to attempt to replace the battery yourself, then we can send you out a new battery free of charge. If you would like us to do this, we would advise that you read through our dismantling instructions first (please see below, as I have attached them to the end of this email) to make sure you are comfortable in carrying out the replacement process. Of course, if you were to damage the Sonic whilst trying to repair it, this would void any valid warranty as we do not cover accidental damage.

Please let me know where you would like to go from here.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards

I of course opted to be sent the batteries, and with the instructions they sent me, was able to replace the batteries on both Sonics.

-Ely

I just got one on eBay that claimed was in unused condition. This describes exactly what happens.
Did anyone ever figure how to fix this? New battery? Which one is the majority rule favorite?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Ely! I hope they respond with at least an offer to send me a battery. I’m not at all and electrician. I don’t know if I’ve ever soldered anything in my life LOL. I could probably take it apart and put it back together OK.

On the Chance they don’t have a battery to offer, would you be able to tell me anything about the one I sent you? I know it’s inside your sonic now, but if you could tell me things like brand-name and whatever else like model number I could at least try to buy one myself. Anyway thanks for the update.! :)

The battery is a 3.7 volt lithium polymer battery. 140 mah if I recall correctly. They're pretty easy to come by on ebay and fairly cheap too. Taking the sonic apart is the biggest pain. After that though it's just 2 solder joints to undo the old battery.

I have two that I purchased when it came out and tried charging recently and it does the same thing as others have mentioned. It would be green when plugged, but does not have a charge when unplugged. I contacted The Wand Company and here’s their response:

Thank you so much for getting in touch with us.

I'm really sorry to hear your Sonic is no longer holding a charge as it should. As you may be aware, the Tenth Sonic contains a very small lithium polymer battery. Which, if left uncharged for a long period of time (even if not being used) can become damaged. It sounds like this is what has happened to your Sonic.

Unfortunately, we are no longer manufacturing our Tenth Sonic Screwdriver. We do now offer a battery replacement process for the Tenth Sonic. For this process, we would ask that you send us back your Sonic alone in a small padded envelope and as soon as we receive it, we will send it to our workshop for the battery replacement process. Because this process can be both a bit tricky and time-consuming, we are making it available at the cost of £40 (GBP). To avoid delays, as soon we receive your Sonic, we will send you back one of our previously refurbished Sonics. These are Sonics that have had brand new battery replacements and have been tested to ensure they are fully functioning. You will therefore not get back the exact sonic that you send us.

Alternatively, if you would like to attempt to replace the battery yourself, then we can send you out a new battery free of charge. If you would like us to do this, we would advise that you read through our dismantling instructions first (please see below, as I have attached them to the end of this email) to make sure you are comfortable in carrying out the replacement process. Of course, if you were to damage the Sonic whilst trying to repair it, this would void any valid warranty as we do not cover accidental damage.

Please let me know where you would like to go from here.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards

I of course opted to be sent the batteries, and with the instructions they sent me, was able to replace the batteries on both Sonics.

-Ely

Hi there! How difficult did this process end up being? I have had the same issue with my sonic for a while but circumstances didn’t let me get it sent out for replacement. I just contacted Wand Company to start the process again and decided I would browse for potential solutions since they are no longer being produced and harder to find then Star-Lord’s headphones.

Hi there! How difficult did this process end up being? I have had the same issue with my sonic for a while but circumstances didn’t let me get it sent out for replacement. I just contacted Wand Company to start the process again and decided I would browse for potential solutions since they are no longer being produced and harder to find then Star-Lord’s headphones.
Not too difficult at all since I already had all the tools that I needed at home. I just took my time at each step and even added the extra step of taping anything that I thought could potentially get scratched. The first one took about 30 min. And the second only 15-20 min. Make sure to take pictures prior to doing each step to know how to reassemble.

I’ve got two of the 10th Doctors Sonics from the Wand Company that are both malfunctioning. One charges when plugged in, red then green. But once unplugged it barely starts up before it turns off. The other one when plugged in shows green right off the bat when plugged in and works until you unplug it and the. It does nothing. I e contacted The Wand Company multiple times and received no response. I read thru this post and seen what you all have had to say. So is it no chance for replacement batteries with the Wand company or take a chance.and hunt down replacement batteries and try to take them apart and replace the batteries with soldering? I display them but also use them a lot and ate for them to be display only pieces instead of functioning replicas. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I’ve got two of the 10th Doctors Sonics from the Wand Company that are both malfunctioning. One charges when plugged in, red then green. But once unplugged it barely starts up before it turns off. The other one when plugged in shows green right off the bat when plugged in and works until you unplug it and the. It does nothing. I e contacted The Wand Company multiple times and received no response. I read thru this post and seen what you all have had to say. So is it no chance for replacement batteries with the Wand company or take a chance.and hunt down replacement batteries and try to take them apart and replace the batteries with soldering? I display them but also use them a lot and ate for them to be display only pieces instead of functioning replicas. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

When you message them on Facebook you might get a better response. I’ve always gotten a reply within one business day on a Facebook message.

And now the bad news. Yesterday’s Facebook message was responding to my interest in sending them another 10th doctor sonic that needs a battery replacement. They informed me that the last batch of replacements is already spoken for and they are out of replacement batteries. Also the UK government is giving them grief about sending batteries through the mail. They are no longer able to do the battery replacement thing from this point on.

That leaves the option of you getting your own replacement battery and doing it yourself, possibly you could find someone on here who will do it for you, or finding a repair shop… I’m thinking perhaps a privately owned computer repair service, to change the battery for you. Your best hope of finding a close enough battery in the store is A shop that sells remote control vehicles and drones, a hobby shop. It is a real pain to open without damaging this thing. And the battery isn’t easy to fine but this picture might help. Also WAND company will give you directions on how to disassemble. Again ask them for that on Facebook or check this thread I think it was posted somewhere. 0B4FD11C-B576-4002-BAF3-3B5ABFE36FBB.jpeg

When you message them on Facebook you might get a better response. I’ve always gotten a reply within one business day on a Facebook message.

And now the bad news. Yesterday’s Facebook message was responding to my interest in sending them another 10th doctor sonic that needs a battery replacement. They informed me that the last batch of replacements is already spoken for and they are out of replacement batteries. Also the UK government is giving them grief about sending batteries through the mail. They are no longer able to do the battery replacement thing from this point on.

That leaves the option of you getting your own replacement battery and doing it yourself, possibly you could find someone on here who will do it for you, or finding a repair shop… I’m thinking perhaps a privately owned computer repair service, to change the battery for you. Your best hope of finding a close enough battery in the store is A shop that sells remote control vehicles and drones, a hobby shop. It is a real pain to open without damaging this thing. And the battery isn’t easy to fine but this picture might help. Also WAND company will give you directions on how to disassemble. Again ask them for that on Facebook or check this thread I think it was posted somewhere.
View attachment 840011

Hi,
I found this on line...

Model:pD300830
Capacity: 40mAh
Voltage: 3.7V
Thickness: 3.5 ± 0.2mm
Width: 8.0 ± 0.2mm
Height: 32.0 ± 0.5mm

Maybe this will work as well:
3.7V 120 mAh 401030 Polymer Li Battery Lipo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-130mA...739274?hash=item23a87ed34a:g:Hm0AAOSwxyJbfuVe

You must also be aware of the "Over Discharge Voltage" of lithium batteries (@2.7v).

Over-charge voltage: 4.25V ± 0.05V
Over discharge voltage: 2.7V ± 0.1V or 3.0V±0.1V
Over current: 80mA (2.7V~4.25V)

If they are allowed to discharge below this "safe" voltage, it has a high possibility of causing damage and the battery
will know longer take a charge. They will have a tendency to puff up a bit as well.

Just one more reason to hate rechargeable batteries. I have a Hero TOS Phaser, not the TWC version, that has a rechargeable battery in the handle that no longer takes a charge with absolutely no way to change the battery and the maker is no longer in business. I've had the same problem with a Tricorder but at least that one I was able to replace.

I thought there was someone here at the RPF that knew how to replace the batteries. I think he board name is Kurosawa or something like that.

Thanks for the help. Looks like I’ll either be buying those batteries or finding someone who knows how to do it right. Already messaged Kurosawa.

Keep us up to date on if you have any luck with contacting Kurosawa and the repair.
Looking at some youtube videos about this remote, it looks like it is held together with more of a pressure fit
then glued.

If there is no actual ON/OFF switch, it is very possible that there is a slight current draw all the time even when not in use.

Are the metal looking parts indeed aluminum?
Have you made any attempt to open yours?

propmaster2000

Last edited:
Sorry, no. This is an old picture and I don’t have anything to measure. The info is available in this or some other thread.

To answer the other part of your question which I overlooked, it is a pressure fit and it is aluminum parts on the metal bits. The top metal ring closest to the inverter must be very gently pride up being careful not to bend it or damage the plastic body. As far as the on off switch, when you hold the power button down for A few seconds it will power the unit all the way down in theory.

WAND Co Tells me that you must keep these charged regularly at least every couple of months to keep the batteries in working condition.

Thanks for the response.
The thing about a "power down" function (by using an "electronic shut off feature"), there will always be a small amount of current being
drawn in the circuit because it is waiting for the "power on" function. This "ON" function is always drawing current because it is looking for a signal
across the normally open switch to reactivate the circuit.
An actual "ON/OFF" switch (open/close) will remove all current draw from the battery, there by limiting the risk off slow discharge to less the 2.7V.
They should have included this switch if the remote is to be stored or not used for long periods of time.
As they say, keeping it charged is also a good idea if it is to used often.

I make sure I charge my remotes, even ones still boxed up that I never use, at least every six months since TWC said you have to beware letting the battery discharge too much. Once it gets to a certain point it can no longer take a charge.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back