1.2 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
How do you guys stop the rusting? I've had my Roman's for a few years now and its begun to build up surface rust. I did use ez-off and alum black to weather it and loved the finish, now...not so much

Hey Filandrius! I sort of am, as mine is an AFBBWOP, but I'm pretty sure shenphong has a weathered saber he's trying to prevent further 'weathering' from happening on. The clearcoat would work either way. The oiling would work in rust prevention in my case, but would change the appearance of a weathered saber by darkening it a bit as the oil soaks into the rust.

In my humble opinion, RUST IS EVIL! ;) Not to say that some of the patinas it creates aren't attractive, it's just that if left unchecked, patinas become problemos!

I know what you mean, if I'm not mistaken the (real) balance pipe isn't supposed to rust (at least, rust but not as much as steel) So I cleaned the rust off mine with cider vinegar and stopped the reaction with baking soda in water. The result is shown in the pics above. :).

Maybe someone can recall better than I, the Russrep parts were made with the same threading as the real parts, correct?

For the life of me I cannot remember. I'm thinking of getting one of those crystal chamber kits, and want to make sure it'll thread into the Russrep grenade and booster.

As I recall indeed Russrep used real parts to replicate them minutely ... so I'd say yes to your question whether those parts as well as real vintage parts are compatible with the crystal chamber kits is another question I'd love to know the answer to :)

Chaïm

If I remember correctly, Russ altered the grenade threading so that it couldn't accept the real parts. I'll try tomorrow, but I don't think it will work.

A question for the experts out there and hopefully not off topic. I bought my russrep parts a few years back and I has been under plastic for years held together by friction. What is the best way to connect all the parts? Threadlock? Superglue?

Also, what is the correct placement for the cone in the balance pipe? I had to file the cone to get it to fit, but now it's a little loose. I haven't looked at the parts for a while, but i don't think there's a set screw to lock it in position. Looks like some type of glue is best to keep it in place.

Also armed with steel blue and aluminium blue solutions after working on a TFA DL-44 so i can finally give this some attention.

Thanks in advance.

Hah, search was my friend as usual. Apologies.

However, what is the overall length of the sabre? That way I will have some idea about parts spacing.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back