Scottjua's stuff: Live Fire Blasters, Props, Sabers: Relby K23s

Re: My blaster builds thread: UPDATE: LIVE FIRE Han Solo ANH DL-44 Mauser C96

Yeah I have been keeping it oiled. Will try again next week with some last ditch effort things. I'll try the different combos of aluminum bull barrel, FH, etc. Tokarev ammo (OH NO! She's gonna blow!), and swapping my locking frame and locking block from my Red 9 since it shoots well. Not necessarily in that order of course.

Right now, I am swamped with commission builds. Doing an ANH Han DL-44 with sound now... then two ANH Obi Wans, one of them a full reveal, and both with lights and sound. In between I have a GK mount order, so I will do that as well, and probably will machine a second since I have the extra material all at once. I think I have someone interested in a second set.

Then... at some point replacing my E11 Gino grips with new Gino grips (T track). I wasn't 100% happy with how they turned out since it was so hard to shape them.

Your blasters look awesome man! Have enjoyed the thread and youtube vids.. have learnt much. I defo like the ANH best, there's just something about the look and proportions of that blaster, but they all look great. Top work, mad skills,
Andy

Yeah I have been keeping it oiled. Will try again next week with some last ditch effort things. I'll try the different combos of aluminum bull barrel, FH, etc. Tokarev ammo (OH NO! She's gonna blow!), and swapping my locking frame and locking block from my Red 9 since it shoots well. Not necessarily in that order of course.

Right now, I am swamped with commission builds. Doing an ANH Han DL-44 with sound now... then two ANH Obi Wans, one of them a full reveal, and both with lights and sound. In between I have a GK mount order, so I will do that as well, and probably will machine a second since I have the extra material all at once. I think I have someone interested in a second set.

Then... at some point replacing my E11 Gino grips with new Gino grips (T track). I wasn't 100% happy with how they turned out since it was so hard to shape them.

Still, It sounds like absolute fun. :D I'd much rather be too busy with this kind of work than not busy enough any day. (Which I am.) In the future, I may commission you to fab me a GK mount, although nothing has yet been confirmed-I'd much rather do my ANH first. Keep the good work churnin' away! :thumbsup

Finally got it working!

KPax actually sent me the idea to lighten the springs and cut them a coil at a time to get it to work and it DID!!!

YAY!!!

and here's one with my Red 9 too:

Last edited by a moderator:

You're a very good shooter btw and I love how the flames are lighting up the holes of your muzzle...very cool build:cool

I never get tired of watching your live fire build log Scott, if only I qualified for a real Mauser... BTW, how did the trigger on your Luke ESB turn out? you stated earlier that you accurized it, and I'm curious as to how it turned out. ^_^

I did. It turned out pretty close to a real one.

I need to to find some time for photos. Been too busy lately

I did. It turned out pretty close to a real one.

I need to to find some time for photos. Been too busy lately

I'd definitely like to see them. I've run into few hiccups with mine. First, I can't completely file flush the little spring loaded piece with the back of the trigger, as I'm absolutely sure that would snap that piece when I pull the trigger. Second, because the trigger is hollow, there is only so far you can file down the inside of the trigger before you compromise it's structural integrity. Thirdly, I still haven't found a solder that will stick well enough to fill in the pin holes and the back of the trigger, as well as the slide pin holes. I did manage to bend the trigger slightly to give it a more curved geometry, but I still have a LOT of work to do, and Darth Real Life is kicking my butt. As far as I know, the only people that have accurized the MGC trigger is you, me, and Reel Fakes (Chris), but I'm sure that others have done so as well. It might even be a good idea if there was a run of MGC dry-fire compatible triggers that were accurately proportioned to a real trigger... LOL. :D

Thanks!

Update time.

I got my real tomtit parts in newly made from the original moulds and with VFX Freak's help (he cut his DEC radial parts to make his grill) I cut them up and make my grill. I also used a piece of Gino T Track and the tomtit push rods for my sight greeblie.

I tried to be fancy and use my mill to cut the plastic but it chewed up the side when the end mill bit the soft plastic. So the rest I used a dremel and hand files and that was more messy but much better. I'll remake the grill when I get free time, but for now it's there.

You can also see my steel bull barrel suffered some damage to the thin flanges where experimenting with the new booster I made the threads to the barrel... it got squashed. :( So I need to coax Dave to make me a new one from steel... OR if anyone has one I can buy........ hint hint.

Anyway, OH... and I got ANOTHER hensoldt yesterday, and it had the best lower knob knurls to match my scope that is super accurate. So now my scope is tops along with the gun and greeblies!

M20140610-115516.jpg

M20140610-115526.jpg

M20140610-115545.jpg

M20140610-115638.jpg

M20140610-115729.jpg

M20140610-115748.jpg

M20140610-115831.jpg

M20140610-115914.jpg

Looks fantastic! Very niceley done, Scott. Most impressive! Thanks for posting all the great pics.

The problem with your bull barrel appeared to me that because you made the barrel to fit with the east amount of material removed from the original barrel, the sides of the barrel were quite thin. And then, when you were tightening the barrel booster that screws onto the original, threaded barrel, you likely over tightened it, which resulted in the flanges of the barrel pushing out the sides in the way it did. If you wanted an assembly what was rock solid, with zero chance of this happening, then you would probably want to have a custom barrel made, like the same way that Michael (Lichtbringer) did here: http://www.therpf.com/f79/han-solos-anh-hero-blaster-buildup-mgc-mauser-real-hensoldt-104056/

Because of the way he lathed down more material of the original barrel, the sides of the bull barrel that he made were much thicker, and because the new barrel would be pressed up against a flat surface, there would be zero chance of anything splitting, like yours did, as yours was pressed against a sharp side flange. Of course, that's my opinion, but I think that might work. Hope you get the barrel problem resolved!

Yes that' s exactly what happened. You can't imagine the weird and strong forces involved in actually firing it. I took it for granted how much everything moved and was subject to shock and forces. In fact, when it was just set screws, the recoil from firing pushed the bull barrel and flash hider/booster BACKWARDS and the set screws dug into the barrel steel and pretty much wedged the bull barrel onto the gun barrel. It was a real PITA to get off. Also, when firing, the screw on booster, however tight you think it is, will loosen as everything gets jarred around. So you tighten it down, and eventually all that force is too much for those thin little flanges.

That said, you can't just start removing huge amounts of metal from near/over the chamber of a live fire gun. The pressures involved, especially on 100 year old steel will surely blow it out if you make it too weak. I'll take a non-perfect bull barrel any day of the week compared to a destroyed gun, or worse... destroyed flesh.

I think the original prop being meant to only fire blanks in a movie environment, meant some liberties that can't be afforded with live ammo.

I may try some high temp locktite for the threads, and use my other steel BB until I can get a new one.

Yes that' s exactly what happened. You can't imagine the weird and strong forces involved in actually firing it. I took it for granted how much everything moved and was subject to shock and forces. In fact, when it was just set screws, the recoil from firing pushed the bull barrel and flash hider/booster BACKWARDS and the set screws dug into the barrel steel and pretty much wedged the bull barrel onto the gun barrel. It was a real PITA to get off. Also, when firing, the screw on booster, however tight you think it is, will loosed as everything gets jarred around. So you tighten it down, and eventually all that force is too much for those thin little flanges.

That said, you can't just start removing huge amounts of metal from near/over the chamber of a live fire gun. The pressures involved, especially on 100 year old steel will surely blow it out if you make it too weak. I'll take a non-perfect bull barrel any day of the week compared to a destroyed gun, or worse... destroyed flesh.

I think the original prop being mean to only fire blanks in a movie environment, meant some liberties that can't be afforded with live ammo.

I may try some high temp locktite for the threads, and use my other steel BB until I can get a new one.

That might be the best coarse of action. If you really anted something that was permanent, it might even be a good idea to take it to a professional gunsmith, and see what they think. Perhaps a welded on bull barrel would be strong enough? And yes, I know full well how strong the forces of firing guns can be, even a gun like the Mauser (though I've never touched a real Mauser before.)

If only there could be an entire upper Mauser C96 receiver made that had the bull barrel a part of its entire piece, one made out of steel and would be bored to fire real bullets, that could be swapped with a real Mauser's upper receiver...

Yeah I'd like to get a new BB... I have the one on my MGC... I could swap with... But it'll still be the same issue. Short of grafting a new full barrel on, I think it's the only solution.

Seeing as how ammo is so scarce, it doesn't matter much really. I can't shoot it that often anyway.

Yeah I'd like to get a new BB... I have the one on my MGC... I could swap with... But it'll still be the same issue. Short of grafting a new full barrel on, I think it's the only solution.

Seeing as how ammo is so scarce, it doesn't matter much really. I can't shoot it that often anyway.

True enough, but then why not have it re-bored to fire 9mm bullets? I know precious little about real guns, but I'm pretty sure that 9mm cartridges are much more readily available. What about having a new barrel that can be screwed on and off? Like, if you cut the Mauser barrel down and then make a threaded post out of the entire barrel, all the way up to the meeting point. Then, take a bored and rifled barrel that's the same outer diameter of the bull barrel, and the thread the inside of that barrel on one end to match the threads of the original Mauser's Barrel. Screw it on as tight as you possible can, and THEN mill the bottom of the barrel to be flat with the underside of the Mauser's "tab" area. Unscrew the new bull barrel, and put it back up on the lathe to give it about a 1/2 degree taper. Then add what you think is an appropriate amount of bevel on the barrel's chamfering.

This is how I think the original bull barrel was made, and I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for a live fire version either-the blanks that were being fired in ANH by Harrison Ford were powerful enough to keep the gun cycling, and the crew around him were wearing hearing protection as well, so they were pretty big blanks. And assuming that the male threads of the original barrel to the female receiving threads of the bull barrel are large/long enough, then I can't see any reason why the bull barrel would fly off or anything. Of course, it would have to be completely custom, and probably expensive, but I think it would be the sturdiest and best option.

True... that would be best, but expense, and practicality are two major factors. It's mostly a display piece, and occasional shooter, so I don't have any interest in going that far. The rest of the gun is so old and I've already put about 700 rounds through it testing. I don't know how wise it would be to make it a regular beater. Plus since I would be shooting targets, I wonder what that modification would do to accuracy. It would be a big bummer to ruin it. It would be less fun if you could never hit anything you aim at.

I don't want to have it re-bored... because the 9mm doesn't have that same punch or huge flash. The 7.63 is king. Besides I have a Red 9 mauser for shooting too, and it shoots straight and great and 9mm is relatively easy to find as long as the hoarders don't get it all.

So I guess in a way... I'll have to just get an un-bent DEC BB and work around the issues. Just be careful not to over tighten the FH and booster next time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back