Did anyone here win the "Hero at Large" auction?

No, but I was was at the auctionan outbid as well.

You want to know the worst part about this? The guy that sold it had a few suits over the years and got rid of them except that last one. He even tried to sell one on eBay a few months ago and nobody bid on it...and he only wanted $100 at the time.

When I heard that, I was sick...then figuring that if nobody bought it on eBay for $100, surely I could snatch it up for $500 or $600.

The worst part is I'm really good friends with a guy who works with this seller, and have been for years. His words still sting my ears. "If I only knew your were interested in that suit..."

Dammit........ :angry

Steve

Steve that story hurts my stomach. I almost always check ebay for Hero At Large stuff and only recently gave up because there was never anything of value listed -- I scored a movie poster a few years back and had Ritter sign it at Disney (back whe he was being considered to play "All American Boy" in Sky High. HE was the coolest guy you'd ever want to meet and I told him how much I loved the movie (Hero At Large) and he responded with "I kept one of the costumes and the little doll from the filming -- it's still one of my favorite things I've done cause I've always loved heroes who have to get by on nothing" -- I am so sad to hear the guy who owned these got rid of all of them and that they slipped past you (AND ME.)

Yes, it was a member here. Not me. But I know who got it.

He'll probably chime in, then die when he hears the story.

He did a fan made version way back when the movie came out. Did a great job with it, so he had to have that costume.

Originally posted by micdavis@Dec 17 2005, 10:01 PM
Yes, it was a member here.  Not me.  But I know who got it.

He'll probably chime in, then die when he hears the story.

He did a fan made version way back when the movie came out. Did a great job with it, so he had to have that costume.
[snapback]1138193[/snapback]​

GREAT TO HEAR. Now when a certain someone needs quick cash he can contact one of us.
:love

I loved this film.
It struck a chord with me and I'm sure many costume fans.

I'm shocked to see such low prices on this.
It looks to be in great shape.

Thanks for the story Jet Beetle. I'm so glad to hear that John Ritter really liked working on it and that he still had the suit.

I hope it went to a good home.

Chuck...

I was six when this movie came out and I remember it well. That Halloween my Mom made Captain Avenger costumes for my little brother and I. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one that movie made an impression on. From the picture there it looks like it was in fantastic shape. Woulda been nice to go alongside my "six year old's" version. Hehe.

Hero At Large is a GREAT movie. It's one of my all-time favorites. I can't believe the costume sold for so little. I didn't even know about the auction until it ended. UGH.

Originally posted by Got Maul@Dec 18 2005, 01:47 PM
maybe its lonnie, our mod ?
[snapback]1138660[/snapback]​

Nope, not me... but that is a great costume. Is this movie out on DVD? I think I've only seen it once when I was a kid.

Lonnie

Originally posted by rocketeer25@Dec 20 2005, 07:23 PM

Is this movie out on DVD?

Lonnie
[snapback]1140128[/snapback]​

Yup, it sure is. It retails for about $15. I picked one up a few days ago in anticipation of bringing home the suit from the auction :cry

I was actually planning on sitting down and watching it this afternoon. It will be interesting to see if it holds up.

Steve

Yes, I was lucky enough to win this great costume. I thought there would be no way I could win with no fewer than 20 pre-auction bids.

They just called me to finalize the bill, and I should have it on Thursday.

I'll post plenty of pics once I receive it.

I can't believe this was on e-bay before. I have been looking. I've been desperate for a 16mm copy of the film, but I don't know if one exists.

I know there were many copies of this suit just look at that bus scene. I was wondering how to tell if this is the “hero” costume worn by JR? Also if the original owner had many why is this one missing the shorts? The good news is I have a pair of shorts from my costume.

I'll dig around for a shot of me in my fan made costume from back in the day.

Anybody know where to get a good super hero mannequin?

Jealous...but happy one of "us" got it and it's not just disapearing into the costume void.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of both your version and the original.

Once again, congrats..

Steve

Originally posted by Rocketeer1938@Dec 20 2005, 08:54 PM
Yes, I was lucky enough to win this great costume. I thought there would be no way I could win with no fewer than 20 pre-auction bids.

They just called me to finalize the bill, and I should have it on Thursday.

I'll post plenty of pics once I receive it.

I can't believe this was on e-bay before. I have been looking. I've been desperate for a 16mm copy of the film, but I don't know if one exists.

I know there were many copies of this suit just look at that bus scene. I was wondering how to tell if this is the “hero” costume worn by JR? Also if the original owner had many why is this one missing the shorts? The good news is I have a pair of shorts from my costume.

I'll dig around for a shot of me in my fan made costume from back in the day.

Anybody know where to get  a good super hero mannequin?
[snapback]1140204[/snapback]​

PICS COMING -- YES.... I can't tell you how envious I am... WTG.

Congratulations, Rocketeer1938... I too have a major soft spot for Hero At Large... I never knew that movie had so many diehard fans.

I can hardly wait for those pics..

Mike

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back