MPC Millennium Falcon Conversion

Archive&Future

Sr Member
Thanks to this thread, and a bunch of ultra helpful guys on there: I now have a ROTJ MPC Falcon in my hands, and a big bunch o' passion to get stuck in and do a great job of it.
Clearly Jaitea's perfect MPC build has been, and will continue to be, my number one inspiration and source of reference for this build.
Next purchase: tank kits!

tumblr_mojsmoNuOo1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mojso2Yfls1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Also, Jaitea, do you have a list of kits that you've used? No need to be too thorough, just something I can get my head round where to start. And where's the best place to start with modifications? I'm going to guess sidewalls..?
(thanks in advance!)

Okay I couldn't resist, I started fleshing out the ultra soft engine deck details. I considered sanding all the original details off, but I figured I could work with it instead.

tumblr_mok06eeMzc1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Just some tiny details, before I buy some more tank kits and really go to town on the deck

Hi Haystack, the first thing I did was to remove most of the deck details mainly because they were too identifiable as parts of Artoo
p1000841b.jpg

enginedeck.jpg

I ordered a pack of 3 Jadg Panther 1/144 models off ebay from China
These were mainly for the part at the rear of the tank, but the front part was also used on the 5foot studio model
cutouts.jpg

pantherv.jpg

A link to this part of my thread

I'll make a list of the tanks etc I bought

John

Hi Haystack, the first thing I did was to remove most of the deck details mainly because they were too identifiable as parts of Artoo

I'll make a list of the tanks etc I bought

John

Thanks for the help! I'm not as confident to take off all the engine detailing...I can't really afford enough tanks and kits to re-detail the entire back deck and all the sidewalls and open panels. I don't know...I'm pretty conflicted about that area.
I feel like I could still work around and with it, removing some parts and detailing over others; but I equally want a high quality finish, which I might not be able to get without taking the soft details out...
Yeaaachkk...I really ought to just take your advice and dive into it, but hmmmm

I'm also working on my MPC conversion on and off and am doing it much much more lazy than jaitea (even if I tried going down that road I couldn't nearly do as good anyway...) I decided to keep all the thrashy detail of the MPC and just add bits where I felt it too boring.

here's my engine area where it's at now:

1014294_10151649424394287_1438300609_n.jpg

Also really happy to have a new falcon thread to follow. This will help me build mine. Here's what I think improved the look most so far, in that order.

1. cutting down the sidewalls (this made it go from something else to actually look like the falcon)
2. detailing the engine area
3. making the antenna disc smaller
4. sharpening the edges. makes it less like a toy and also improves that bad curvature.
5. cutting down the front mandibles small extra wall-things

All these things are really easy and hopefully will make you more ready for the difficult stuff (that I don't know anything about as I haven't dared yet) like shortening the mandibles, building a new cockpit and if you're crazy, fixing the curvature ozzy-style: http://www.therpf.com/f11/rebuilding-amt-mpc-millennium-falcon-again-131375/

Thanks for your comments Kyuzo! I'm going to look through your build thread (if you have one) once I've posted this comment, and hopefully get some inspiration.

I've just been detailing the engine deck, no real resemblance to the reference but I'm honestly not fussed. As long as it looks really detailed and authentic enough, I'm happy

tumblr_molrq35LVB1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_molrtdTS1O1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_molruglXvj1rvpchho1_500.jpg

More to come once I get some more kits. Thanks for your help everyone!

this is my favorite model project of all time. I love these things!

keep the pics comin'!

Thanks astroboy!

I cut off the cockpit, mandibles, and the majority of the jawbox using a scroll saw and a very fine blade. I really ought to have taken along the lower half too, but eh, I didn't think it through.

tumblr_moplgbikFV1rvpchho1_500.jpg

So a short anecdote from today; I went into my local independent modelling shop and was asking about kits and greeblies and such like, and the shop owner went into the back and returned with a stack of old-half used sprues, clearly not wanted by anyone apart from me! He gave them to me for free, but I bought some etched brass and gave him a bit for the sprues. Just goes to show what being a little friendly and talkative can do for you!

tumblr_moplcx4TNT1rvpchho1_500.jpg

That was a needed boost to my kitbashing supplies, so I got straight back to work on detailing

tumblr_moplhxvvCb1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mopljdTkIl1rvpchho1_500.jpg

As some of you like to say: "mmm primer" or as I like to say: "WHOAAAAaA PRIMER"

tumblr_mopll8g4TP1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_moplmekfKm1rvpchho1_500.jpg

More detailing needs to be added on the engine deck though, I won't be satisfied until it looks vaguely as impressive as the FM version (obviously Jaitea's standard is absurdly brilliant and unattainable at this point for me)

All I can say is that I am thoroughly enjoying this project already!

Looking absolutely fantastic Haystack! The engine deck has that busy & detailed look now

Great score on the greeblies also, can't wait to see more

John

Looking good.

Can anyone tell me how long the mandibles should be on this kit? The ones on the Revell are about 1cm too long, but this kit doesn't fit conveniently onto two sheets of A4 paper for a studio model comparison.

I reduced the length of the mandibles & the diameter of the holes in them,....oh & the jawbox......comparison:
comparison1v.jpg

And a photoshop merge:
mandiblescomp.jpg

I'll take measurements tonight

J

Thanks for your help Jaitea, I could use some cockpit/jawbox/mandible measurements at some point soon.

I've just been adding more greebly goodness!
It's getting really far away from the studio model reference now, but I dunnoo....it still feels Falcon enough for me

tumblr_morhaw3hSH1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_morhd09UZt1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_morhgaUDvd1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_morhhatWLN1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I'm going to call the rear deck finished for now, my next port of call shall be all the openings

What are your thoughts on the cockpit tube? I'm bidding on one of these right now and that is one thing I'd like to modify

What are your thoughts on the cockpit tube? I'm bidding on one of these right now and that is one thing I'd like to modify

I didn't really see the issue with it when I got it, but all the best conversions have replaced it, so that's what I'm going to do too. I do honestly think that it would look quite alright without being replaced or modified

You just have to take the pictures from the right angles:
9120891446_bea68e052d_z.jpg

No, sorry for hijacking your thread a little bit. I just wanted to show, you inspired me to start weathering. I need a good MPC thread to keep me going, this build has been lying dormant since Jaitea switched to the mcquarrie version (still no pressure though).

Also I as I kinda think my picture shows, the mandibles and jawbox are just as big if not a bigger problem than the small cockpit.

Are you going to light it, btw?

No, sorry for hijacking your thread a little bit. I just wanted to show, you inspired me to start weathering. I need a good MPC thread to keep me going, this build has been lying dormant since Jaitea switched to the mcquarrie version (still no pressure though).

Also I as I kinda think my picture shows, the mandibles and jawbox are just as big if not a bigger problem than the small cockpit.

Are you going to light it, btw?

It's not a problem dude, just don't go too overboard with it. Enjoy the thread! That's what it's here for after all :D

So are you saying that the cockpit isn't actually a problem? I mean that would save a hell of a lot of work for me if I didn't have make a new one. I already have plans for the mandibles and jawbox, hence why I cut them off completely.

And in reply to your final question, I will indeed be fully lighting it, I try as often as possible to include electronics in my models.

Not at all! The cockpit is most definitely a problem if you really want an accurate Falcon. I would have replaced my cockpit if I was more apt at those things.

Not at all! The cockpit is most definitely a problem if you really want an accurate Falcon. I would have replaced my cockpit if I was more apt at those things.

Well...I already have quite a clear plan as to how I'm going to make the new cockpit actually. Here's to hoping I can pull it off! :cheers

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back