$2 Musket Replica

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My daughter has to make a speech that involves muskets, so I thought I'd make her a quick prop to accompany her talk. I picked up this toy pirate gun at a dollar store:

magmusk1_zps8df19f63.jpg

Technically, it's got a percussion cap instead of flint-lock... but too bad for $2.

Next, I grabbed a 2x4 and an old metal rod from a broken broom (I never throw anything away):

magmusk2_zps2e76a16a.jpg

I roughly shaped the 2x4 into a stock using circular saw and cheap jigsaw (I really need to get some better tools):

magmusk3_zps0ffb594e.jpg

After that, I smoothed it all down with a mouse sander. I dremelled all the parts I wanted to keep from the toy gun:

magmusk4_zpse2af9993.jpg

I spray painted them gold and silver, then added brown and black distressing respectively.

For the brass rings on the forestock, I used metalized spray paint lids:

magmusk5_zpsc53d3017.jpg

You can also see where I routed a channel for the barrel to sit into the stock. After that... I stained the stock to a rich brown and oiled it. The smaller lid was the perfect size to just slide onto the front of the forestock, I just used a heat gun to soften it first for a really nice fit. The other two caps, I cut and wrapped around, then secured with a screw at the base of the stock. The plastic parts were all attached with some old brass screws I found sitting around. I went over the barrel with some black acyrlic paint (sponged on) and some brown to give it a rusty look...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the finished product:

magmusk6_zps10314f71.jpg

magmusk7_zps0d092291.jpg

magmusk8_zpsf1853c08.jpg

magmusk9_zpsbcb5afdb.jpg

magmusk10_zpseb479bd4.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Nicely done! You HAVE TO GO when they do the 'tell what your parents do' day at her school....

Will her school even let her bring it in? Considering most of the "Zero-tolerance" policies where kids have been expelled for pointing their finger at someone and saying "Bang!".

Her school is "old school"... a small private school where I used to teach, so bringing a replica flintlock is no problem.

The best part of this whole build is - - - - what an awesome dad you are!!!!

Cant wait to do stuff like this for my little girl when she gets older!

Hi Indy. Great piece of work. Good to see someone else using those cheap flintlock pistols and turning them into something else.
Nick K

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back