Upgrading a Hasbro Rancor EU version

Thanks NeoRutty ... yeah the pecs are more refined ... once I start painting ... all will be . . . revealed ... I just have to admit I've never painted such a huge 'action figure' before o_O

Chaim

Last edited:
chaim you impress me day after day. thats some pretty cool modeling skills you got there!

i dont remember hasbro releasing the tattoo'ed version of the ranchor, is that custom too?

i think the feet look awesome!

Thanks Halliwax for your kind words ... and no Hasbro did release a Rancor from the EU with those blue markings although the basic sculpt is the same as ROTJ ... see one of my previous posts with the original being pictured before I started making my upgrades. The last ROTJ Hasbro Rancor came with a special right hand with bendable fingers ... however I have read rumors online there maybe a complete new Jabba's Court on the way with new sculpts . . . including a new Rancor .... I just hope it doesn't get cancelled ... I'd like a more accurate Jabba . . . which reminds me . . . I still need the latest version of green dancer Oola ... though I do fancy the half naked Rancor Keeper a lot more :lol

Chaim

I love this refining, Chaim. Very cool to see all you've done to begin this creature back to its original design.

Thanks mugatu ... one more check around ... and than it's time to start painting. Any tips or pointers how to proceed with painting on an existing toy is always appreciated, guys :)

Chaim

@ halliwax no I don't have an airbrush ... it's going to be a variety of brushes, tissues and cotton swabs ... dry and wet I suppose ... and I'm thinking not to spray a grey base layer either ... just touching up all those blue patches and of course the white magic sculpt parts with a flat brown, since the toy has been painted, thusly I can take advantage of certain browns on it already and concentrate on the colour scheme and subtle details ... or so . . . if there's a flaw in that reasoning please don't hesitate to correct me . . . . . this is going to be so daunting after having spend so much time on this Rancor, I just don't want to mess up now, so near to the finale :wacko

@ mugatu ... thanks for the encouring words ... I'm concentrating on another figure at the moment so this paintjob ahead may linger a bit longer on how to proceed properly :)

Chaim

Thanks Gans, ... that looks fantastic ... when I return home I'll see what and how I proceed ... still dreading that paintjob due to lack of experience on this scale :wacko

Chaim

Yes mate
i was also dreading the paint job. I actually did all the skin colours by paint brush ( I used no airbrush at all on this model)
I did one colour base coat and then did a lot of washes in different colours. All skin colours I used were Vallejo . Don't mean to hijack your thread just saw you were just worried about painting it. Just my advice hope it helps

Also I would say in the movie shots his teeth are a lot thinner and sharper then on your current project? Also his teeth look uglier when they point in different directions/angles. In a way they look a bit neat on your model at the moment

If you wanted to go the full Monty you could take all the teeth out or most of them, then add pins/ rod for teeth and then sculpt the right shape teeth and angle them better

Last edited:
Hi Howlrunner . . . no it's still a work in progress . . . real life took over and then I lost both my parents last year . . . so it's been in sight yet still on the backburner . . . as soon as I get my own life issues sorted I'll start the paintjob with brushes as suggested by Gans. I won't be upgrading his teeth any further since this was just meant to be a small toy-upgrade and already went further as originally planned. It's waiting under the TV set covered in dust.

Rancor - Upgrade -31A.jpg

To be continued . . . soon :)

Chaïm

Last edited:
So ... I finally got the courage and enthusiasm to tackle this monster with paint. It took a couple of instruction video's on youtube, some by Adam Savage's Tested team ... and getting my old paints from the attic ... yet here's the main inspiration coming from ... Phil Tippett and the Behind The Scene pictures I collected over the years :

Rancor1.jpg

I did a test with several layers on the claws first ... a red-brown basic coating to get rid of the blue smudges and white magic sculpt . . . than a layer of a lighter orange-brown and finally some shading and splotches of a darker color brown. After I was satisfied I then continued with the same proces on the arms ... you can see clearly all 3 stages here in this next picture :

Rancor - Upgrade -32.jpg

And here's a close-up of the claws ... some random brush strokes of red-brown, lighter orange-brown and some darker washes ... I also did the painting of the nails with a white undercoating, then I mixed some colors to create an ivory effect and added several washes plus shading with different colors of brown and some black :

Rancor - Upgrade -33.jpg

© Chaïm Murzan Photography 2019

That's all for now folks, I can truly say I'm loving the results sofar.

Enjoy and to be continued . . .

Chaïm

Last edited:
Thanks Analyzer ... it's still daunting yet I've found a method that works for me ... so when not painting I'm researching the pictures in my Rancor file ... looking at what needs to be done next. Now the trouble with this EU Rancor is the blue splotches randomly painted on ... so I'm using a reddish-brown paint directly from the container, whipe my brush off slightly and then paint over the blue and some of the white parts of the magic sculpt as can be seen here :

Rancor - Upgrade -35.jpg

So now the blue and white bits are almost covered entirely ... while it dries I'll take my camera and make a few inbetween shots . . . these pictures are not only going to be used in this thread but also help in looking at the paintwork I've done and to compare it with the ones in my Rancor file. So they will give me some useful info which direction I need to go. Sometimes I want to finish some details such as seen on the claws, yet most of the time it's just adding on another layer with a new lighter color or darker wash. It's quite a slow and tedious process ... but it works for me.

Rancor - Upgrade -34.jpg

© Chaïm Murzan Photography 2019

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

Last edited:
Today I added several layers to cover the base color ... then took some pictures. Now to show you how important the light and the proper exposure is I wanted to show you the same picture twice. The second with just 1 stop over exposure ... and just notice how different the same colors seem to appear of the Rancor's skin :

Rancor - Upgrade -36A.jpg

Rancor - Upgrade -36B.jpg

Then another example ... now with an exposure I liked :

Rancor - Upgrade -37A.jpg

... and with an added green filter in Photoshop :

Rancor - Upgrade -37B.jpg

... same paint just a totally different feeling of the Rancor's skin.

So you can understand that eventhough I have several screencaps saved in my Rancor file ... each one has a color influenced by the used exposure and with or without adding of colorgrading or color filters either on set or in post-production ... hence the painting of this Rancor monster shall always be an approximation of what I feel I see in those reference pictures.

To be continued . . .

Chaïm

Last edited:
I think the colors look perfect. I also love the subtle color variations in the skin

Very convincing!

You might already be considering this, but you can add some gloss varnish/future to the mouth area and eyes to give it a "wet" look

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back