Upgrading a Hasbro Rancor EU version

The Rancor was kept hungry most of the time by it's keeper ... so when it was time to feed ... he'd be starving and craving for food ... or ewok :

philip_bings_rancor.jpg~original.jpg

:lol:

Chaim

Last edited:
Still a cool project :) :thumbsup
I wonder where the Rancor have its origins? Tatooine underground?? Or what was his planet in the Force Unleashed?
Maybe you can gather yours with a vintage Kenner Rancor and make up a nice display of them in natural life:)

This is by far the largest 'action figure' I purchased from the 3 3/4 " STAR WARS line ... and 1 is quite a handful I must admit ... but it's going to be great once finished in full color :)

Chaim

I seem to remember from the ROTJ novelization it, at one point, talked about Luke feeling sorry for the Rancor because it was a mutant and in constant pain. Not sure if that is considered canon or EU or what.

Well this Rancor is feeling a whole lot better after each step I manage to do some more upgrades on this faul beast . . . and I've done lots lately :

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-19_zps6zqubqgz.JPG

I've added shields on both his arms ... as can be seen on the original but left out with most sculpts :

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-23_zpszw3owd5c.JPG

I finished his feet on all sides :

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-20_zpsjdv3l1t8.JPG

Worked on one of the thumb nails :

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-22_zpssgxyr0hv.JPG

And articulated his tongue a little more:

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-21_zps1glsefkx.JPG

So in all ... quite some progress made :

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-24_zps9zjsjd7q.JPG

© Chaim Murzan Photography 2015

To be continued . . .

Chaim

Last edited:
Chaim, you are bringing this together. Honestly, I know Kenner (and now Hasbro) have to dumb down their sculpts a bit to streamline manufacturing and costs, but I never realized there were so many differences. All the bits you are overhauling really are making this look like the right original rancor that I didn't realize I wasn't seeing before. The fingers and mouth are really looking so much better.

Thanks mugatu ... most sculpts of the Rancor I've seen don't have the shields on the fore-arm, not even the vinyl AMT/ERTL :

Rancor-540_rd_zpsuilgnapf.JPG

Even the thin shields I've added makes the Rancor more believable and less of a toy ... though he'll still be able to play with :)

Chaim

Last edited:
Thanks spacebob ... no this is not the one with the 'real feel' skin ... which was only applied to the right hand if I'm not mistaken (?) ... and had bendable fingers ... this is the version right before and being part of the STAR WARS Expanded Universe or EU with a ryder on top. Magic Sculpt sticks really good onto most stuff ... still I make certain to smear it on rather well as I would with any clay sculpt ... however to my surprice some small bits dropped onto the Rancor without me noticing it and even they stay put.

The best part of Magic Sculpt is ... it 'cures' without any need for an oven or otherwise ... and you can add onto it when need be ... or attack it with a file, sandpaper or any other tools to smoothen, or roughen or detail whatever is necessary.

And the unused Magic Sculpt left-over after working on the Rancor, I use for another custom figure ... so nothing gets wasted :)

Chaim

That is all great news, and now puts getting one of these on my "now must watch out for" list, If you get me.
I had considered something similar but had ruled it out because I thought these things were covered in rubber :)
Love hasbro conversions.

Yeah I get you . . . I promised myself to finish most of my projects on my waiting list . . . this year . . . and hopefully I can celebrate that fact with a small STAR WARS exhibition in the Dutch Comics Museum in town when Episode VII premieres hosted by me . . . so fingers crossed I get the green lights for approvement :)

Chaim

Though I dread painting this large beast . . . I did find a good thread on rebelscum for tips : http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1012384/ ... now all I need to do is check if I haven't forgotten anything to be improved with magic sculpt before painting . . . here's the screensaver I made for that reason alone :

Rancor%20-%20Screen.jpg_zpsovla9z89.PNG

If you spot anything I may have overlooked please let me know ... I'm still considering what to use for the manacle on his right arm ... I hoped to find a used one loose on ebay from another Rancor . . . but alas . . . I guess I'll have to become a bit more creative again :wacko

@ spacebob ... so when you want to do what I did . . . look for the Target Rancor EU with the Felucian Rider on top :)

Chaim

Last edited:
Thanks Jim ... yeah that's been bugging me too ... actually going towards the back of the shoulder is another second layer as you can see here on both shoulder blades :

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-25_zpssznmlmzo.JPG

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-26_zpsuwgv8xfe.JPG

... that said I'll see if I can alter it slightly however the issue is there's an enormous ball-joint on the arm going into the body, therefor Hasbro choose to make those shoulder blades quite smaller . . . and the arms have a swivel motion right under those plates so I can't add anymore magic sculpt without loosing that movement ... it still has to remain a 'toy' Rancor not a static statue in just 1 pose. Perhaps 1 more layer is enough :)

Chaim

Last edited:
As was pointed out to me by portland182 ... I did decide to alter the shoulder plates on both arms slightly :

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-30_zps2scuyi4g.JPG

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-29_zpswqwgifgs.JPG

While I was doing this and checking my research pictures . . . I noticed something very odd :

Rancor-CHRON_zpsptg12x2h.JPG

If you look closely at above picture ... you'll see that between the arm and the body there's an extra piece of skin, this alas I can not and do not want to replicate, without compromising the movement of the shoulder joint. Then I noticed another thing even more peculiar when returning to my Rancor ... the breasts, or upper pecs so you will, were hanging significantly lower than what you see in this next research picture ... the neck ending directly onto the pecs :

Rancor%20-%2073_zps0ot6qyfl.JPG

So this I had to alter ... hence also enlarging his round belly into a more muscled belly without adding refined abs ... for it's still a beast :

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-27_zpsz6ngev4v.JPG

Finally I returned back to some of the Rancor's teeth and altered them slightly to what I had seen on screen and worked a bit around the eyes :

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-28_zpsmsde3krq.JPG

And here's a last shot of the Rancor's upgrades as of today :

Rancor%20-%20Upgrade%20-31_zpstr38ggea.JPG

© Chaim Murzan Photography 2015

Now I have to see if I can get some clear shots of his backplating and decide whether or not it needs some touching up then I'll add some additional warts and bumps wherever I see fit, or do notice them on the pictures in my Rancor file, . . . . so I'll leave you with this final movie-frame to enjoy :

Rancor - 101.jpg

... and ask you this question : should I give this beast a belly button, some nipples and slight hint of his gender ... somewhere between his legs? Or has it been confirmed already that this particular Rancor was female, in which case a breast enlargement seems to be appropriate :wacko ... and whether this species is breeding and hatching from eggs, instead of being a warmblooded mammal? :)

To be continued . . .

Chaim

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back