Logan's Run Revolver.

Hi Harada357,
Great gun design. I should have said at the beginning of the thread, that the idea of making a revolver based on the TV and film guns, came from seeing your renders.:thumbsup

Maybe I’ll make a DS assault rifle.:)

You should have told you me you have MAD SKILLS !!!! It is AWESOME !!! The metal work is unbelievable !!!

You have my BLESSINGS !! GO FOR IT !! Just share the pics and if you finish off with an extra gun - drop me a line !!

Gordon

Beautiful rendition of the pistol that William F. Nolan would be proud of. You merged the magic of the Hollywood icon of the Logan's Run pistol to the description of Nolan's Deep Sleep Magnum from the book. I love all the elements and detail you incorporated in the design and execution of the mechanics. You are a true artist and engineer.

Does the cylinder open to reload? Or does the whole thing come out to be reloaded?

Gordon

The cylinder is fixed in position but rotates freely. The bullets are loaded as you can see in the pictures below.
When I was working out all the measurement of the gun, I forgot about the side plates. There’s only about 1mm clearance from the main frame, but the side plates are 3mm thick. Therefore you have to remove a side plate to load the gun. A bit of a design flaw I know.:rolleyes
dsr033.jpg

dsr034.jpg

When i designed the gun in rhino - I envisioned the back part of the pistol (where the Hammer would be) as spring loaded with a retaining pin for the cylinder. Grip the rear extension, you pull the rear of the pistol back releasing the cylinder retaining pin and ditch the whole cylinder like a magazine. A fresh one just pops back into place. This feature would negate the need for a swing out mechanism or indentation for reloading. Some Cap and Ball revolvers have similar removable cylinders. The forward retaining pin would be spring loaded with a recess. Pulling the back handle releases both forward and rear retaining pins. The cylinder just rolls out onto the floor. The fresh cylinder snaps into place like a magazine seated in the grip. The used cylinder thin spill out the empties for reloading. A cumbersome procedure under fire but reduces the profile of the gun to keep it close to the movie version with the features of the pistol from Nolan's book. A tough marriage to be sure. Magnum/Flamegun fusion. Your version is AWESOME - don't change a thing. The thicker profile of the outer cylinder wall keeps the pistol looking sleek and futuristic. A thin wall with a loading slot would detract from the design and make it look too much like just a revolver handgun. The overall impact of this mean looking futuristic design is unique and a cut above a merely modified revolver. Ofter film props are forced to do the impossible for effect as opposed to real life function and engineering.

Many props these days are a departure from a scratch build - they take a real life firearm and rivet a cover over it to change the outline. Others just paint a NERF gun. This DS pistol and the original are complete Scratch builds - not based on a real life firearm. That is what makes it COOL. Go for the EFFECT - not the function. That is what makes it ART above mere modification.

Would the Star trek Phaser be iconic if the propmaster slapped a cover over a snub nose .38 revolver and called it a PHASER? Nawh...........

You are a true MASTER !!! I love this DS Pistol !!!

I can't say it enough - Your pistol ROCKS !!!!

Gordon

The cylinder is fixed in position but rotates freely. The bullets are loaded as you can see in the pictures below.
When I was working out all the measurement of the gun, I forgot about the side plates. There’s only about 1mm clearance from the main frame, but the side plates are 3mm thick. Therefore you have to remove a side plate to load the gun. A bit of a design flaw I know.:rolleyes
http://www.tobor2.com/temp/dsr033.jpg
http://www.tobor2.com/temp/dsr034.jpg

That looks fanfreakingtastic! And your building skills are great, too! I love the look of it. .... now I wanna make one of these, too... ;)

I know it'd be more work which isn't really necessary (and who knows how bullets would work in the future), but the bullet design makes it look like a rimfire. It'd be more work to put a fake primer in the base, and not necessary. Just something I noticed.

Great Job!:thumbsup

I’ve just finished the other version of the DS revolver.
I tried some Birchwood Casey aluminium black on some scrap, and It basically turns aluminium black. This was not what I wanted. So I decided to polish the aluminium and give it a couple of coats of clear lacquer.
dsr035.jpg

I went for a sort of brushed metal look. I used Squadron Sanding Sticks, from course to extra fine. After sanding, I cleaned the metal with cellulose thinners, and then gave it a couple of coats of Halfords clear lacquer.
dsr036.jpg

For the grips I tried for a pearl finish, but I think it looks more like marble. Still I think it looks good on the gun, and I’m sticking with it.
After a couple of coats of white primer, I brushed on white and silver paint, mixing them while they were still wet. I then sprayed on some more white primer. Using 800 grit to 2500 grit wet and dry paper, I sanded the grips until they were smooth. I then gave them another light coat of white primer, and finally a couple of coats of gloss lacquer.
dsr037.jpg

That’s it the guns are finished. Now I have to get some acrylic cases to display them.
dsr038.jpg

dsr039.jpg

dsr040.jpg

dsr041.jpg

dsr042.jpg

I have one thought....You left the gap between the barrel to the front ring...what if the gun was hit or jumbled at the moment of firing, the round might be displaced and hit the front of the barrel.

I would have either left off the flash suppressor OR ran a longer barrel to the front and left the flash suppressor open or ran the barrel all the way forward and added vents in it to blow gasses out into the flash suppressor.

My 2 cents worth on design..

Other wise they are fantastic.

Rich
Rich

I have a flash suppressor on a M1 rifle that has a dented side, and it is only 1 inch forward to the barrel...Could be misalignment and that flash suppressor could get misaligned as well...

It just looks wrong to my eye.

Minor nick-picking thought.

Rich

Mmm. A very successful fusion, and nice execution, too. I think it really does marry the cruel weapon described in the book with the iconic look of the film. And for some reason, the pearl grips do make me think "frontier six-shooter." Or at least I could believe that people of that future age might describe it thus.

You just made one of the coolest pistols in Sci-Fi history even cooler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love the metal, and the whole revolver idea.
I haven't finished my flamegun yet, so I may "borrow" your idea ;)

I’ve ordered an acrylic display case and made a stand for one of the guns. The “hand” was made from styrene sheet and car body filler. The disc was cut from acrylic sheet and painted red on the underside only. This disc doesn’t have to be fixed in any way, as it is held in place when the gun is mounted.
To mount the gun, the screw in the handle is removed and a threaded rod is put in its place.
The case I’ve ordered has a black base. I’m probably going to lay a thin sheet of aluminium on it and paint the hand silver. Basically the same style as the Master Replica cases.
dsr043.jpg

dsr044.jpg

dsr045.jpg

The idea and basic shape of the hand came from the Rylo flame gun stands.
dsr046.jpg

I’ve just got some mother of pearl paint. I’m going to test it on some spare grips first. If the results are better than I already have, I’ll re-do the grips on my metal gun.
dsr047.jpg

Amazing job.
I really like the look of it this way.
Can't wait to see Pearl grips on it.
Would a layered deep white make it look right. I am thinking like they do on Cars for a deep finish if you know what I mean.

WOW! nice stand. and I really hope that mother of pearl paint works out. Your guns look fantastic and you make it look so easy. if I may. one question please. are you working with 6061 aluminum? or some other type. the stuff I'm working with is hard as steel seems like. and again....

You've done an awesome job.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back