All new, and first build. (Helmet)

SergeantSavage

Hey thanks guys for stopping by! I'm a new member here, and after a few days of lurking on threads, I decided to start my own since I started building a Dredd Helmet. Got it all printed off, cut out, hot glued together, and put on a a layer of resin. Tomorrow I start the fiberglass stage, so wish me luck!

Also, huge thanks and props to Dung0Beetle and Blaxmyth whose pep pattern I am using.

20130609_223449.jpg20130609_223424.jpg

I'm also using that Pep for my first build. However after resin, fiberglass and a layer of Rondo inside to smooth off the fiberglass... I am pausing the build to practice using Bondo on another piece I am not so worried about drocking up!

Good luck with your build.

Good luck. Word of warning.....go real easy on the Bondo or you will be wearing the helmet below your collarbone. If you check my thread, Dredd helmet build"What a Lid", I posted pics of , what I think, is a decent looking helmet, but it is way too heavy to wear. I'll have to spend more money to get a light casting. If you use the bondo to sculpt the outside and it looks like it will take more than a Quart to finish it, (Mine was about 2 quarts, with about 10-20% sanded away.) reconsider. I would think you'll use at least a quart. See whether you can stand the weight of a can of that balanced on your head. Some don't seem to be bothered....not me. If I may recommend a tip. To be safe, there are products designed to reduce the weight by 30-50%. Micro balloons are small glass "balloons" that look like sugar in the container, but will save the weight of Bondo by proportion. Do a search by that name online. Some hobby shops carry them. Wish I had used them myself.:cry

Thats good advice Ray. I came across them when I was searching the internet for supplies a week or two ago. Was going to make a post asking if they worked well in the bondo stage.

Will definitely get some when i get around to working on my helm.

As long as you have the fiberglass for strength, they work fine. If you have any concerns, try a ratio you want on a small surface, sand after curing a few minutes and see how you like it. The cure may be slightly extended since most catalyzed resins cure faster depending on ambient temperature, ratio of hardening agent used and thickness of the mix. The balloons reduce density but not so much that it is greatly noticeable. A word of warning to others that may use different brands of polyester resins, (Bondo is one brand) some will say "light weight body filler" on the can. Don't be deceived, it will still weigh roughly the same as the contents of the can, less the can weight and amount later sanded away. The helmet pictured on my thread is about 3 pounds in weight. Not unwearable, but uncomfortable for extended periods and the thickness of the material makes the helmet sit too high on my head, even before padding. If you don't think you will exceed one quart size can, you might not need the micro balloons at all. and hopefully the thickness, overall should probably not exceed 1/4 inch in thickness. Since mine was made by eye without benefit of a pep file, the under shell structure, made of styrene plastic, just made it that much heavier. I'm sure you won't experience the same degree of trouble I had. Happy building!:)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back