Electronics Development For Vadermonkey's Data Sculpture (Protoype One Complete)

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here is a thread on the development of the electronics kit for Vadermonkey's awesome Lieutenant Commander Data sculpture. So far I have been watching episodes to get an idea what the access ports look like and what kind of light pattern they have.

At this time my focus is on the access panel on the right side of Data's head. It first appears extensively in "Best Of Both Worlds Part II". This port has appeared many times and seems to be the most iconic.

It appears to have thirty 3 millimeter LED's in red, green and yellow. The panel appears to be standard Starfleet grey (Pewter greyish) with black, copper and aluminum tape details. White wire is looped around for detail, and to light the LED's. There are miscellaneous surface mount transistors and such for a little technical detail. There is a black connector on the port that connects to a fiber optic looking cable. The connector profile is a bit of a problem; it seems too tall for the panel to cover. Please not that in "Best Of Both Worlds Part II" we never see the cover hatch removed or installed.

I have designed a circuit for the lighting. I have simplified the light pattern for ease of design and manufacture. The circuit will cycle a sequence of three sets of ten LED's. At the right speed the effect should be very impressive.

So, here are some pictures of the panel in action from "Best Of Both Worlds Part II".

Right 01.jpg

Right 02.jpg

right 03.jpg

Right 04.jpg

Right 05.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Electronics Development For Vadermonkey's Data Sculpture

Cant wait to see how this turns out...and to get one of course! ;)

My first step will be to make a mold of the port from the head. Then I'll make a cast and I can take practicle measurements and start figuring out placement. I should have it this week.

I have completed the first mold of the right port. It will be ready to be removed and used tomorrow. This mold will be used to make a base cast of the port. When I have built out the port the way I want it I will make a better mold for multiple pulls.

This mold will get me 2 or 3 casts to do my development. Here's a picture

Data Progress, 1st mold.jpg

A little more progress. The first mold is complete and it looks good. Tomorrow I will cast the panel. Here are some pictures of the mold...

The full mold
data port mold.jpg

The "mother" mold
data port mother mold.jpg

More progress. I have made the cast of the port I will use as a base for the panel. Once the detail is added I will mold it to make the base plate.

I have completed the circuit schematic to my liking and have started laying out the board. The circuit is complete and all the parts selected. The board should be completely laid out this weekend, probably ordered Monday.

Here's an image of the base cast for the port panel development.

Data Progress, 1st cast for development.jpg

I have finished the board design. The boards and components are on order. I am working on the details of the port right now. I anticipate having the first prototype done mid July. My goal is for the kit to be $150.00 or less. I will post pictures of my progress later.

Alright!!! Things are starting to pick up speed!!

I have added the detail to the plate and made my mold...

Data Access Port Prototype.jpg

Then I cast the final version and primed it and painted the base coat. I need to paint the details before electronics can be installed.

Data Access Port first cast primed.jpg

By the way, the boards arrived today!!! I will build one and test it. Once it's working I will assemble the first port. Once I'm happy with that I will post pictures and video and see what the interest is. I will then build kits accordingly.

Data Access Port unpopulated board.jpg

I built the first board last night and it works well!!!

I painted the details on the base plate tonight. It needs clear coating and then I can start installing the electronics and the mess of dummy wires. I should have the prototype done mid July. Then I'll take pictures and video to post!!!!

Here's a picture of the plate painting thus far...

base plate painted.jpg

I have been waiting on the clear coat on the prototype panel to completely cure so there has been no assembly progress.

I have, however, used this time to workout the LED placement and flash pattern.

My map
base plate flash pattern.jpg

The video speed is approximately the "slow speed". With the dial turned up the maximum speed is about double the video.

Video of the pattern
View attachment data port flash pattern.mov

The prototype is done.

The current way the LEDs are mount make it difficult and labor intensive to build. On the second one I am going to try something a little different to make it easier to assemble. What I have now will probably look pretty good, but there is no way I have the patience to wire five more kits the way I have one the first one.

So here's how the prototype looks. There is also a video. Let me know what you think.

(I've already started mark II)

Data Port.jpg

View attachment Complete Data Port.MOV

Just a small progress update.

I got the speed adjust working. I made a little mistake but I've fixed it so now the speed of the sequence can be sped up to about double what you see in the video with a small dial hidden on the panel which is easily accessible.

The second, improved, prototype is about half done. It will be complete in one to two weeks depending on my work load at the salt mines.

I have also created a one-off "fiber optic cable" that connects to the data port (with a magnet). THIS CABLE WILL NOT BE PART OF THE KIT, I made it for myself to see the effect. I will post pictures latter.

The next update should be mid weekish.

Alright!!! Big update. The prototype MARK II data port is complete. The future "kits" will be based on this design. I will determine cost and such and post latter for anyone interested in ordering. Take a look and let me know what you think!!!

Here's a picture of the new unit...
data port MARKII.jpg

Here's a video of it running at the low speed...
View attachment 100_2816.MOV

Here's a video of it running at the high speed...
View attachment 100_2818.MOV

Some little details...

The speed is controlled by a small dial indicated in the image below...
MARK II SPEED ADJUST.jpg

In the center of the "connector" in the port I have installed a magnet in case the customer wishes to make a "fiber optic cable" to connect to the port. No cable/connector is supplied with the kit.
MARK II connector.jpg

Last edited:
Another update. I will be working on the installation instructions for the kit. Once I have instructions to go with the kit I will set up a thread to take orders.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back