Design problems on enlarged sections (Star Trek)

I Always noticed many things were wrong with the enlarged sections built for USS Enterprise:

See the detail on bridge. I never saw a studio photo of this bridge enlarged section. Is it lost today???
Lateral details of the enlarged bridge do not exist in the ship model.

tmphd1047.jpg

twokhd0541.jpg

twokhd0531.jpg

kg_studio_1701a-005.jpg

Now I'm not sure what model is this, cause the sequence show a complete ship model, but it's diferente from the first film, specially the red circles around the doors looking thinner, on details on docking doors, and many textures instead of the basicaztec pannels like in first film:

twokhd0558.jpg

twokhd0559.jpg

The Torpedo section and the docking doors are the winner of inconsistences...

Enterprise Refit Computer Model

If someone tried to build a digital model of the studio model, inserting the finer details of the enlarged sections, will get a ver diferente thing.

002.jpg

kg_studio_1701a-022.jpg

kg_studio_1701a-021.jpg

kg_studio_1701a-031.jpg

tmphd0376.jpg

twokhd0288.jpg

tmphd0325.jpg

(looks like the actual studio model pictures have the door decal (red circle) diferente from the motion picture.)

Where is the other side docking door now???

tsfshd1012.jpg

http://www.mutara.net/Christies/detail models/Enterprise A/IMG_1813.JPG

Why the modelers from ILM did such mistakes???

Last edited:
Your first pic, where Spock's shuttle flips before docking, is actually a matte painting. The details don't match, and the saucer dome is too pronounced. The side docking port was an enlarged model that again doesn't quite match. ILM's enlarged torpedo launcher/neck also has differences. The differences aren't so much mistakes, they were just made to serve their purpose and they didn't take the time to match every detail.

The docking port on the space station wasn't even there originally, it was added as CGI in the director's cut (in an effort to correct a continuity error).

The TMP screen captures are from the Blu Ray and not from the DVD of the director's version.

Your first pic, where Spock's shuttle flips before docking, is actually a matte painting. The details don't match, and the saucer dome is too pronounced. The side docking port was an enlarged model that again doesn't quite match. ILM's enlarged torpedo launcher/neck also has differences. The differences aren't so much mistakes, they were just made to serve their purpose and they didn't take the time to match every detail.

The docking port on the space station wasn't even there originally, it was added as CGI in the director's cut (in an effort to correct a continuity error).

I found the enlarged red circle decal around the docking door was added for Undiscoverd Country:

tuchd2369.jpg

The officers longe it's like the interior miniature was removed:

tuchd2534.jpg

And what picard's launge is making there?

tuchd0544.jpg Another reuse of TNG sets... How to explain such wndows? Holograpic screens?

About the base color of the ship... The model was repainted, but the studio model pictures we found on web look like from motion Picture, and not the blue shades from Und Country.

Maybe so much repainting added a bad texture, and that's why they avoided much close ups for the VI film. We see many defects on the painting, granular paint, cracks, in the actual studio model pictures.

Last edited:
The change in the red decal for the docking ports was made when they went to the A. After the accident with the paint, and the need to make the A stand out from the shakedown version of the refit, the decals were changed in almost all places where there were registry and docking ports. There is one spot, though my memory fails at the moment to remember precisely where, that it still says 1701 and does not have the A even though it is on the A version of the ship, however. The original decal was indeed almost right on the edge of the docking port. And yes, there were no details on the 8' model with the little lock handles around it, that you see in the closeup of the docking with Scotty and Kirk using the larger partial model. I believe that TimeSlip put those on their version of the refit, but I am not 100% certain; I'd have to ask.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back