Iron man mark 42 helmet build

16sliu

Hi everyone, this is going to be my very first attempt at making a costume piece. I opted to use pepakura, using Gimpee's files (thank you if you can read this!) and then fiberglassing and bondoing. It might be a bit more challenging than foam considering this is my first time, but let's see how things go. Considering the little time I have to work on this ( i'm a highschool fresh man) I think it's going pretty well, just gotta mannage my time. :) Btw, I would love to get some feedback from any veterans out there, any criticism is appreciated:D

image.jpg
pieces done, just need to glue them together

image.jpg
Right after gluing everything, I noticed I had a couple leftover pieces (that's what happens when you stay awake for 20+ hours) I just decided to keep going though :(

image.jpg
All fiber glassed, I noticed a little too late that there were many dents and holes, (that's where the extra pieces had to go, oops:$)

image.jpg
First layer of bondo, I could only work on part of it, I had school the next day and the lack of sleep was catching up to me. I atleast got the chance to fill up all the cracks, dents and holes from my bad pepakura work.

image.jpgimage.jpg
Removed the ears, they ended up breaking on me:(,.. Anyways, started by doing the cheeck bone detailing, another part where I messed up during pepakura since I forgot to bend the paper where the cheek protrusion was, just decided to place a glob of bondo and I would then sand it downto create the protrusion.

Ill add more pictures as I keep working on this:D

image.jpg. image.jpg
More fine detail work done, it still looks very rough though and for some reason managed toget the helmet to weight around 5 pounds -.-'

image.jpg image.jpg
Finally got the faceplate off, used a hacksaw and a blade to make incissions and then proceeded to cut the helmet with the hacksaw blade, i'm making good progress although i'm still missing a lot of sanding to do :D

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back