The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo

I would have to say "it's dead on balls accurate". ;)

yup, I really don't think I'd be more accurate by hand, that's for sure.

There's just one thing not to my liking yet and it has to do with the bend lines.

I was using at first the option to make small cuts on the bend lines to help with the actual bends, but I found that many of the tabs didn't have enough material left on them to be solid.. in fact, many tabs stayed on the cutting mat when I was removing parts.

So, I'm not using that "option" anymore..

but, I just had what could potentially be a GREAT IDEA! (if it works ;))
I'm at work right now, so I can't try it for myself, but I'm very excited to try it this weekend.

Here's what I'm thinking:

I don't use the "option" to make the small cuts on the bend lines
I load the page in the Cameo
I cut the whole page
The Cameo unload the page
I take the second cutting blade that came with the Cameo, and I set the depth at .. let’s say 1, or midway between 0 and 1
I load the same page in the Cameo
I change the line "profile" in Pepakura viewer so that the Cameo cut ONLY the bend lines
I "cut" the whole page, again
(this time, since the blade depth is not going thru the cardstock, it is in effect scoring every bend lines on the page)

I'm not sure if it would be better to cut first then score or score first then cut

Anyway, just an idea.. I'll try it for sure and let you know!

If somebody tried it already, I'd be glad to hear your comments!

I scored fold lines AFTER I peeled it and just before gluing. That worked great for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Oh, and I do allow the cameo to make fold cuts. Just a LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT score with xacto knife does the trick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Grenex,

I just wanted to thank you for putting together this great guide! After tinkering with it for about 4 hours last night I got mine working nearly 98%! The cuts are PERFECT up until about midway through the paper and the lines start to drift by about 1 mm by the end. This was the best I could get after adjusting the length and width registration mark distances by .5mm increments. Any suggestions? I really can’t adjust the length and width anymore without the top half of the page starting to drift so it seems like there is no sweet spot between the top and bottom cutouts (can’t get the whole page to cutout perfectly at the same time). Also, no pieces interfere with the registration marks and all 3 registrations marks are perfect and clear (just to clarify).

Oh and a few tips that I found helpful:
When adjusting the cutter over the registration mark, I found it helpful to slide in a silhouette sketch pen (instead of the cutter). It gives a definitive point to get the cutter directly in the center of the registration box. You can even gently press down the pen to have it contact the page while adjusting the cutting head to make registration simple.

Another super useful tip when testing/calibrating the silhouette is to use different colored sketch pens in the silhouette instead of the cutter (sold separately by silhouette). This allows you to make adjustments to your length/width or other settings and actually see the changes (with different colored pens). This allowed me to easily track and see how my changes were affecting my cuts without having to actually cut anything!

Thanks again for the guide!

Hi
I tried the link and was unable to download the guide.
Can someone point me to where I can get this guide

Thank You

Last edited:
Just to chime in with my two cents. I can't download from the links either. I fresh like would be very appreciated if possible. Thank you!

Just to chime in with my two cents. I can't download from the links either. I fresh like would be very appreciated if possible. Thank you!

links arent working

Same here. Tried and download link is dead.

Hi
I tried the link and was unable to download the guide.
Can someone point me to where I can get this guide

Thank You

SORRY GUYS! I changed the file structure on my file server and it screwed up the download. I have fixed the link on page one of this thread to get you the proper file
Here is the direct link for those that need it!
http://temp.grenexmedia.com/DefPepCameoGuide1.3.zip

Hi Grenex,

Thanks very much for providing this guide - it's been indespensible for my first attempt at doing pepakura on the cameo.

I'm wondering if you might have any wisdom in one matter I'm having: I've followed the guide through including custom measuring the registration marks and such for a Halo helmet ( the particular one I used was the 'normal' detail level by Robogenesis ). I've been able to proceed through all the steps including reading the registration marks with errors and 'printing' the pattern pieces. Each time, however, I'm consistantly approx. 2mm off to the left on my width axis - it's the same distance across the entire page, and has been across multiple printings. I've gone back and triple-checked my settings and such and all seems well. My registration marks show up full on my print preview and on the page itself in a good, dark tone.

Anyways, it would work perfect for me except that 2mm shift to the left. Might you have any suggestion on how to make the entire cut shift slightly?

Thanks you very much.

Sorry for the late response....for some reason my subscription notices do not seem to be working anymore. :(
Do the cuts start out OK and then shift? Or are they always off 2mm right from teh start of your cuts on the sheet?

No worries on the response time!

They are starting off like that - from the first cut on, they are off around 2mm and stay constant throughout the page cut.

They are starting off like that - from the first cut on, they are off around 2mm and stay constant throughout the page cut.

Have your tired using a different file to see if other pepakura is also offset? Perhaps it is something with that specific file?

Hooray! I finally got time to do some more tests with my Cameo and I figured out my blade depth and why it was missing lines and all that. I bought the Pepakura Designer for Silhouette and followed Grenex's pdf (THANK YOU SO MUCH) and it's cutting beautifully and perfectly! But now I have another question...

How do I print and cut pieces that are too big to fit on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper? It seems that if ANY lines are outside the boundaries of the registration marks, it screws up the entire page when cutting.

Edit: Nevermind! Got it! Figured out how to cut pieces in half and rotate.

Have your tired using a different file to see if other pepakura is also offset? Perhaps it is something with that specific file?
To add to this, I found that it may depend on the quality of the unfold file. I have a couple pieces in the Pacific Rim jaeger pilot helmet I downloaded that just never cut properly and need to be cut by hand, because something may have gone a bit wonky during the unfold but was ignored because majority of people cut manually anyway. It's something you wouldn't know about unless you were using a Silhouette.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got it all worked out! Yes, you have to edit and rotate the parts after setting to a smaller paper size using the designer software

Hi, I am glad this thread has been replied to recently. I just got a brother Scan n Cut and so far have really just been testing to see if it will cut sequin sheeting (it does) as I'm going to want to use it for cutting thin card and plastic as templates for armour making. ANd vinyl for decorations etc.

I was wondering if anyone has experience and input or would be interested in a guide on how to use this machine as an alternative. And whether to add that info to this post or start a new one?

Hi, I am glad this thread has been replied to recently. I just got a brother Scan n Cut and so far have really just been testing to see if it will cut sequin sheeting (it does) as I'm going to want to use it for cutting thin card and plastic as templates for armour making. ANd vinyl for decorations etc.

I was wondering if anyone has experience and input or would be interested in a guide on how to use this machine as an alternative. And whether to add that info to this post or start a new one?

Never even heard of it.
To keep thread topics clean and on track, you should likely start a new thread specific to your device

Fair enough :) There are a few home scale cutters (as well as smaller plotter cutters) I think as time goes on and they get more in use there will be more of a need for a single launch point (reviews so people can choose which machine).

Meanwhile heaps of cool info in here- especially discussions of pros and cons of using the cutter for fold lines.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back