Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

So, Brandon says that the prop has machine marks on it, inside and out, and no seam. He theorizes that if it was made from one of the metal castings then they may have gone over the prop with a lathe and machined off the rough surface of the casting.

If the dimensions still match the Shared Stunt and the wooden buck (with casting shrinkage) then this is likely. Odd, but likely..

Does anyone recognize this square threaded nut? I thought the sidebar contained the threads for a Graflex lever, and without it the clamp wouldn't stay shut. The square washer that comes under the lever wouldn't really do anything.. V2-2.jpg

Does anyone recognize this square threaded nut? I thought the sidebar contained the threads for a Graflex lever, and without it the clamp wouldn't stay shut. The square washer that comes under the lever wouldn't really do anything..View attachment 469764

I assumed it was just a piece of plastic, maybe that they'd tapped threads for or something. I'm more curious about the lever itself!

The square nut is the one that was originally inside the sidebar. On original graflexes, the side bars are not square stock, their folded steel and with a rectangular nut soldered inside the bar. This is the nut that came loose

I noticed Roman copied this exact construction (nice going!) I never thought it would come out haha

Hi guys, I hope you all enjoyed seeing the saber and that some of you were able to attend the panel in person at Celebration. At this time I'm opting not to post any other photos online, but it will be shared and likely displayed more in the future.

I know the common consensus is that this piece was cast from a wooden master, and maybe it was - but I'm not 100% certain. Whereas the "other" saber has a very visible seamline, this piece has no remnants of a seamline and is covered in machine marks. The pommel is not cast, it is machined. Those aren't bubbles on the end, they're dents - it looks like it was used to drive nails at some point during it's life. The pommel is machined (inside and out.)

The saber contains a chamber where the motor once was, and you can see the threaded holes where it mounted. I don't know what the custom lever on the side of it is I'm afraid.

All the best,
Brandon

Hi guys, I hope you all enjoyed seeing the saber and that some of you were able to attend the panel in person at Celebration. At this time I'm opting not to post any other photos online, but it will be shared and likely displayed more in the future.

I know the common consensus is that this piece was cast from a wooden master, and maybe it was - but I'm not 100% certain. Whereas the "other" saber has a very visible seamline, this piece has no remnants of a seamline and is covered in machine marks. The pommel is not cast, it is machined. Those aren't bubbles on the end, they're dents - it looks like it was used to drive nails at some point during it's life. The pommel is machined (inside and out.)

The saber contains a chamber where the motor once was, and you can see the threaded holes where it mounted. I don't know what the custom lever on the side of it is I'm afraid.

All the best,
Brandon

Any chance we could hear how you acquired it?

Those aren't bubbles on the end, they're dents - it looks like it was used to drive nails at some point during it's life.

Didn't someone post a pic of a shared stunt or one of the Luke/Obi sabers being used by a rebel in the Hoth base as a tool (in background of a scene)?

Wow . . . wait are we still talking about the same V2? . . . Or in the meantime . . . has someone just constructed, eh collected . . . a new lightsaber?

Chaim

Thanks for all the info! This is so enlightening... And fascinating lol the hoth pic came to my mind also! Cool to hear the whole thing was machined somehow.

MMmmhhh.... wish I had this picture a few weeks ago!
Star-Wars-Celebration-2015-Anaheim-Original-Movie-Props-Costumes-Prop-Store-Tom-Spina-Gus-Lopez-084-RSJ.jpg

But staying on topic, this is some exciting news and I'm looking forward to Dan's run!

MMmmhhh.... wish I had this picture a few weeks ago!
http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp...es-Prop-Store-Tom-Spina-Gus-Lopez-084-RSJ.jpg

But staying on topic, this is some exciting news and I'm looking forward to Dan's run!

My ideas of my run were based off of the best research I thought was out there. I was working off of the idea that the v2 was a cast stunt like the shared stunt in the archives except with a few extra parts added on. Now Brandon's saying that this is not the case. So, consequently, my run isn't going to happen until we get some better photos. It just doesn't make sense for me to invest all this time and money into making what I think will be the definitive version of this prop, only for new references to be made available a couple days or weeks or months later and have to start over. Or worse for me, find that I now have a bunch of inaccurate prop replicas that no one wants anymore and am out hundreds of dollars.

Sorry guys, but until I can get better reference pics, this project will stay in what the movie people call development hell.

Last edited:
I get it... Of course part of me is relieved. I have a few unfinished projects I want to get done, and throwing a couple of V2's on the pile wouldn't be great timing for my list or wallet.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back