Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

i think another reason for the some what distorted pictures at celebration 7 was maybe to prevent it being replicated 100%. with technology and all these smart and talented artist they could craft a pretty good fake. heck look at trooper trents stencils. i cant believe what a phenomenal job he did with them for only a select few pictures

i really do pray, brandon does make a prop book. that would be truly amazing for all of us

Has anyone ever politely asked for some photos?

not that i know of. personally if i bought it... i dont know how cool i would be with publicly releasing HD photos with all the measurements.. i honestly dont know what i would do

I don't know about releasing specs. Photos are are different. I'm not pushing this, but just curious if he had been asked. With all the photos I have seen and the details in this discussion, I feel I have enough info to build a saber that I will be really happy with.

I don't know about releasing specs. Photos are are different. I'm not pushing this, but just curious if he had been asked. With all the photos I have seen and the details in this discussion, I feel I have enough info to build a saber that I will be really happy with.

i got a few "upgrades" i gotta do to mine now... or maybe they are considered down grades? ;)

Because he isn't required to - it's his decision and he doesn't owe us anything.

More aggravating than not seeing photos is reading strangers making excuses for the guy as if it invalidates the desire of others to see some quality photos.

- - - Updated - - -

i think another reason for the some what distorted pictures at celebration 7 was maybe to prevent it being replicated 100%. with technology and all these smart and talented artist

What's been stopping people from doing that with the Graflex? :) There are countless real vintage parts easily obtainable any day of the week...

Last edited:
Without a doubt, this will be the most extensive build as far as any of the sabers I have completed.

Don't get too hung up on much of the weathering and damaged appearance of the prop as it's very doubtful it's in the same condition today as it was when the movie was filmed.

More aggravating than not seeing photos is reading strangers making excuses for the guy as if it invalidates the desire of others to see some quality photos.

- - - Updated - - -

What's been stopping people from doing that with the Graflex? :) There are countless real vintage parts easily obtainable any day of the week...

1, that's not the polite way to ask
2. Graflex is a product that is not a one of a kind item.

1, that's not the polite way to ask
2. Graflex is a product that is not a one of a kind item.

1. Nobody's asking

2. You missed the point. There are vintage parts that can be studied up and down and the replicas available today are all, IMO,insanely inaccurate from head to toe.

I think is copper paint overlayed with black giving a result if brownish black tone.
anyway I can't understand why someone that have the most mysterious lightsaber prop of the whole saga don't take some quality photos and share them.
wow, after reading this and going back to the pics, I think you are correct. You can clearly see black , both under and over the areas believed to be brownish so it's hard to say if it's a light effect or shadowing. Good call! Looks like it could be the look of old oil.

Being a painter, what I see is absolutely a difference in tone. If it's a certain way in most every photo, one can safely toss a side the "shadow" talk.

I've put blacks over copper and brass tones before in the past and sometimes they do take on that brown look from the paint below. Alternatively, I've also seen metal powdered copper and brass paints weather naturally to that tone from handling. Even sealed pieces will slowly darken over time.

I'm definitely seeing brown/copper/bronze/not black in that screencap.

it makes sense that it would be there, in terms of the history of the prop.

My V2 is a sort of idealized build anyway. I was thinking of adding some copper up there-- this cinches it.

I think, placing myself in the shoes of the prop makers then and what they had, using rattle cans or Humbrol enamel paints would be my way to go.

Also, considering how dark the color is now, going dark wouldn't be such a bad way.

Just made a photoshop simulation over my starkiller lightsaber photographs i shot time ago.
This is how it would look with a brown wash over it.

brown1.jpgbrown2.jpg

EDIT: Testing with real paint over black painted surfaces, i think a sienna brown color or similar could be the way to go, as the regular brown wash looks a bit dull. I will test a bit more and share the results

Last edited:
First test with Master Replicas V2.
Note that weathering of the ring section is not correct :)
I added vallejo liquid copper over the already painted black with a stencil brush.
Then tapped it with some few thinner with the stencil brush to take off the copper in some areas a bit.
Then, drybrushed some black and very dark brown to darken and add some "dirt"
Last step is a clear satin coat over it.

Perhaps i should darken it a bit more, but i think, basically is there.

MR.jpg

That looks pretty spot-on to what I see in screen caps both in the movie and in the new "Luke and Saber Reuinited" video.

Nicely done!

Last edited:
First test with Master Replicas V2.
Note that weathering of the ring section is not correct :)
I added vallejo liquid copper over the already painted black with a stencil brush.
Then tapped it with some few thinner with the stencil brush to take off the copper in some areas a bit.
Then, drybrushed some black and very dark brown to darken and add some "dirt"
Last step is a clear satin coat over it.

Perhaps i should darken it a bit more, but i think, basically is there.

View attachment 698391

oh sure are on to something there buddy!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back