Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Hi all, I'm the one who did the V2 run over at the RS forum that produced aniskywalker's blanks and will be sending out ScaryGuy's blank soon.

Must officially thank Howard for sharing his blueprint, which I got through Jedi_Dogs of RS.

Was recently at the Art of Star Wars exhibition in Singapore and took a close up pic of the ridged area of Luke's ROTJ Hero saber just to see the uneven ridge thickness. Not easy to take a clear shot of the whole saber because its in an acrylic tube inside another bigger acrylic casing, and the light come from below.

I know this is nothing new to members here but just thought I'd share this.

normal_DSCF7292.JPG

Originally posted by SaberFreak@Dec 23 2005, 03:49 PM
Hi all, I'm the one who did the V2 run over at the RS forum that produced aniskywalker's blanks and will be sending out ScaryGuy's blank soon.

Must officially thank Howard for sharing his blueprint, which I got through Jedi_Dogs of RS.

Was recently at the Art of Star Wars exhibition in Singapore and took a close up pic of the ridged area of Luke's ROTJ Hero saber just to see the uneven ridge thickness. Not easy to take a clear shot of the whole saber because its in an acrylic tube inside another bigger acrylic casing, and the light come from below.

I know this is nothing new to members here but just thought I'd share this.

DSCF7292.jpg

[snapback]1142258[/snapback]​

Hi there SaberFreak. Great picture. If you have some more, Pleeeeeaaaaaasssse post them. :D

I have loads of pics, but only a few of sabers because like I mentioned the way they displayed them make it very difficult to take pics, especially with no use of flash allowed.

Also where do I post the link to the pics? I certainly can't do it here as it'll be considered OT, and I can't yet access the OT section...

Here's a pic of the pommel of the Luke ROTJ Hero...

normal_DSCF7298.JPG

The emitter is just a black blob due to lack of light so I won't bother posting it...

I've made a couple modifications to mine since I last posted on page 1. You can see that post for a couple comparison shots. Anyways, This week's project was to add the nib on the emitter and to add a filister screw to the pommel. It's a hex bolt about the same width as the stem, sawed down and drilled through the middle. A washer placed on top of that to seal off what was left of the old obi style emitter. I added some paint back to the "gear" area only to scratch some more off. Couldn't locate the correct screw, so I chose one I thought would look just as good. Sooner of later I'll be squaring off the pommel as it should be, as well as some altering of the grips-varying widths and whatnot. I love my dremel.

[image]http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/9480/lu113na.th.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/794/dscf00053nn.th.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4766/lu129jd.th.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/5800/lu105dr.th.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/6318/luke77mk.th.jpg[/image]

does anyone know whether or not there was a second hole drilled into the side of the emitter nib, like as on the hero version? Or how about in the middle of the pommel? Anyone care to speculate?

I'm (hopefully) getting a machined V2 in the near future, and as such, I've been trying to plan what to do with it in terms of final assembly

So I have a couple of questions:

- Most folks appear to have aligned the control box with the D ring. Is that the commonly accepted position?

- Most of these appear to be using the circuit board for the control box cover from the Luke ESB, rather than the Luke ROTJ hero. It's not clear in any of the screencaps, but I assumed the latter was more accurate?

- Any suggestions for someone looking to get or if needed, make the Luke ROTJ hero control box cover for use with a graflex clamp?

Bumping to show off my finally completed piece. Went for the pristine look, as I can always weather it later.

The saber itself was machined by Russ here on RPF (thanks again.), with a clamp from Roman and paint by me:

v2_1.jpg

v2_2.jpg

Riv and anyone else, what sort of paint is good to use on these? Modeling paint or just tape them off and spray pain them?

Also, I NEEEED the control box connector strip, where would one come across this piece?

Originally posted by sandollor@Feb 21 2006, 01:06 AM
Riv and anyone else, what sort of paint is good to use on these? Modeling paint or just tape them off and spray pain them?

Also, I NEEEED the control box connector strip, where would one come across this piece?
[snapback]1189245[/snapback]​

I used semi-gloss black spray paint I got from HomeDepot. Nothing particularly special. There may be better options out there, but it seems to have worked fine for my purposes.

The connector strip pictured on mine I got from King of Parts on ebay:

Here's one for sale now:
Graflex 3 Cell Computer Strip

Blast-tech sells them as well.

Here's mine with my unfinished "Hero".
BTW- if anybody has the corect size black buttons,leds and screws for the Hero control box please,lmk.
[attachmentid=6996]
[attachmentid=6995]

In the scene on Endor when Darth Vader is holding the v2, emitter toward Luke, the pommel cubes look MUCH less angled, almost square, and they look MUCH closer to the bottom. The pommel also looks shinier than in other scenes, such as when look is standing after talking to Leia before he gets captured. (I've been looking at the old ROTJ storybook.) Are my eyes playing tricks on me? It was the enormous cubes in the Darth scene, along with the black neck, that first made me notice, and love, the V2 all those years ago.

Does anyone have a V2 for sale I can grab?

Originally posted by cayman shen@Mar 4 2006, 07:33 PM
In the scene on Endor when Darth Vader is holding the v2, emitter toward Luke, the pommel cubes look MUCH less angled, almost square, and they look MUCH closer to the bottom.  The pommel also looks shinier than in other scenes, such as when look is standing after talking to Leia before he gets captured.  (I've been looking at the old ROTJ storybook.)  Are my eyes playing tricks on me?  It was the enormous cubes in the Darth scene, along with the black neck, that first made me notice, and love, the V2 all those years ago.
[snapback]1198840[/snapback]​

Can anyone explain this?

On my Luke V2 I have just the Graflex clamp, but what is with this variation. IÂ’ve never seen it on any of the screen captures.

thats a bent nail holding the clamp together. if i recall correctly, the nail was believed to be used on the v2 during for at least some portion of filming. personally i think it was used a very short amount of time. of all the screen captures i've seen it's almost impossible to tell if the nail is even there...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back