Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Great results! Is there a particular reason for the gold undercoat?

Yes. The anodised red paint is designed to go over shiny metal surfaces. It looks WAAAAY better over the gold than just over primer.

- - - Updated - - -

Shoulder bell fitted. This thing is starting to scare me.....

Vv5Q2lF.jpg

Thanks mate.

I've really been putting in the hard yards with the chest and back piece lately. Up until today it was one piece and impossible to get onto the tape-dummy or onto my own body. I've been dreading this bit.

So today I installed some heavy plastic buckles on the inside, fibreglassed them in position then cut the pieces apart right on the join of the buckles.

1. Male buckle installed on the back piece at rib-level

2. Female buckle installed on chest piece at rib-level

Ta5mk0L.jpg

8wYaT5M.jpg

3. Preparing for painting!
jXKRRNH.jpg

Here's a quick video I shot today on how to slush-cast. I hope it helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Sandbagger

You mentioned in the video about slush casting the helmet? I was planning to fibreglass mine - Is the rondo mix strong enough, or should I still use glass?

Hi Sandbagger

You mentioned in the video about slush casting the helmet? I was planning to fibreglass mine - Is the rondo mix strong enough, or should I still use glass?

You should use the slush-cast first, then line the inside of that with fibreglass mat.

- - - Updated - - -

Today I started on filling the hip pods with car-filler and finally started painting the chest and back.

1q3CznZ.jpg

1i7WryS.jpg

1. Another test-fit before final coats on the chest piece. Nothing is secured where it should be properly yet, hence the displaced shoulder bell.
2. Chest and back painted. Arc reactor fitted and powered up.
3. The top half of the suit so far. Lots to start fixing together now, padding out the inside and adding all the attachment points to lock it all together.

1OwMyJI.jpg

0YckYkY.jpg

WXs0Ctu.jpg

Absolutely spectacular build. You, sir, are very talented. Love the look on the "face" in that last shot. Very menacing! And the paint finish? Stunning.

The metallic quality on these parts is amazing! great job man!

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this

-Mili

Stunning!

Thanks for the rondo helmet tip. I'm amazed at how well it worked!

Quick question about the Arc reactor - Is the reactor suppoosed to be visible, or is there supposed to be a repulsor in front of it? I know in the first film, the big reactor in the factory discharges like a weapon, but I'm not clear as to whether this is how the suit chest weapon works, or if the arc just powers something else. I assume this has been answered, as everyone puts an arc reactor in the front of their suits.

Looking forward to more pictures and videos. This build is inspiring!

BTW, although I'm many months away from paint, I've started doing some research. So far I've been told that to lacquer metallic paint, I'd either need to lightly sand it first, then polish afterwards, or apply the lacquer 30 minutes after the second coat of paint, while it's still wet in order to keep the metallic shine. I plan to test both techniques before painting my suit, but just thought it could be helpful.

Thanks again for the encouragement crew!

Shaun, the arc reactor is a matter of tast combined with affordability. This is my third attempt at it and I'm happy with it. It's a little bit different and unique so that's a plus in my eyes.

Thanks for the tips on the paints! Keep me posted as to how it looks mate. I'm stuck with a super gold that I can't clear-coat.

Today's work.

1. Problem with cavities in the papercraft solved by cutting away some paper and filling with resin.
2. Going to work on the arms.

pBCkNpD.jpg

nVkk3gl.jpg

why dont etch the details lines on the pieces like the shoulder bell and the chest piece ?
great build !

Why do you need ankle and collar plates? And also sir, do you need to have an internal chest/back brace? This build seems to be over my head? Good day!

I want to keep the suit plain and simple. Later if I feel like etching a bit I might, but not planned for now. Ankle and collar plates because that's what the costume has.

Hip pods done. Working on an arm now.

bm6pel2.jpg

Masking off the bicep for painting.
zRDUrHw.jpg

Upper arm and bicep painted.
PDIOcUm.jpg

Articulating the elbow joint.
fqBGieC.jpg

l60W1Tf.jpg

Testing for fit and range of motion.
BBddSBe.jpg

A couple for fun.
fcDoSeJ.jpg

82GILmv.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back