Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

great progress !
cant wait to see more !!!

Here you go mate.

Here's the idea constructed in some cardboard to see if it's going to work. I've located the point of mechanical advantage, done the calculations on the servo's torque and load to move. This might actually work!

There's just enough room along the jaw to fit the servo sideways but I'll have to put something between the armature and my cheek, lest I rip out a few of my designer facial hairs.....

LvQpGEk.jpg

Fabricated a push-rod from some aluminium round bar. Servo push-pulls it fine. It's a bit squeezy in there so I bent the bar to contour my cheek a bit better.

Sd2bCda.jpg

eqIf5UO.jpg

YhIsD0a.jpg

If you can tune into Australian TV channels, make sure you are watching tonight at 7pm AEST on Channel 7.

Better homes and Gardens is showing my observatory, but some of the footage was shot in front of the Iron Man suit.

Got a bit done this afternoon. The internal chest/back-brace needed to be filled and sanded where it shows under the suit.

I also laid a second layer of fibreglass inside this one to give it extra strength/stiffness.

Here's a quick test-fit now that it's been shaped. I've traced a pencil line on it so I can take it out, give it a hit with spray-putty then a final sand before painting.

0kCqpjs.jpg

I got a few hours over the last couple of days so I got a bit done.

I'm still running into troubles with paint. I found the gold I am happy with and thought a clear coat over the top to protect it would be good. Today I sprayed an acrylic clear coat over the gold and it turned it a dull gold almost brown. GAHHHH! :mad:

Anyway, back to the drawing board with paint I guess. I could just leave the gold unprotected, but it means it will wear quicker.

Once I tested it all for fit and look, I have made a bit more progress on shaping the back. This is probably the hardest part of the suit as there are so many recesses. Hard to get sandpaper in there.

1. Undercoating the chest/back-brace with gold

08OCdNu.jpg

2. Overcoating with the anodised red. (only the smoothed areas will show outside the suit)

xHC4z2D.jpg

3. Paint selection

tkiquUj.jpg

4. Clear over gold on the right. Looks crap.

9QAuTJn.jpg

5. Looks good together

DYZeemq.jpg

6. Continuing on the back

URMRYiv.jpg

I buffed and polished the collar plate with the clear lacquer on it. (The one on the left) It makes it highly glossy, but still hasn't restored the original shine of the gold paint underneath.

ejRr4uC.jpg

Meanwhile, I've been tinkering with the faceplate mechanism. I built a dam out of tape, wrapped the servo in paper and poured a rondo mix in to harden around the motor. The mechanism works now, with a bit of tweaking/tidying to go to get it smooth. I'll put a short video on you-tube once I'm happy with it.

gEnPlNw.jpg

Here's tonight's work.

Eyes AGAIN. I acquired a sheet of thick perspex in opaque white so I cut the eye shapes and put them in the oven until they were soft enough to bend and contour inside the helmet.

Next, I found some hex-pattern steel mesh on the front of some old speakers. I cut them to shape for the eyes too. The vision through them is pretty good. If I do use the perspex I will glue them in with a gap at the bottom to see through. Otherwise I might find some good LED's to put in there on their own instead.

Glued them in with hot glue, taped them up and painted the whole helmet in the shiny gold acrylic. Once that's dry, I'll mask off the faceplate and lip then paint the rest of the helmet the anodised red over the gold. Should come up pretty stunning.

nGJrsQh.jpg

9Bb3xrx.jpg

BtVsLNh.jpg

P3PERSv.jpg

4ZBnZaW.jpg

are you going to make another helmet ?
i mean with another pep model ?

Possibly. I was thinking of doing the next one with a plaster cast of my own body, an undersuit, modelling clay, sculpting and mould-making.

I've started doing some heavy sanding work on the back now. To get into the little recesses I've had some challenges so today I cut a piece of timber and glued course sandpaper on one end and fine on the other with PVA wood glue.

4JkcxP1.jpg

dCbsBCv.jpg

I've been working my dodgy electrical skills for a couple of days getting in these 180 Lumen LEDs behind some opaque perspex. Vision is limited, but I can still see what's in front of me.

The lights have kill switches inside the helmet, as well as contacts on the faceplate to cheek that activate the eyes once the faceplate is down.

Still having problems with the faceplate mechanism stripping the plastic gear on the servo though. I feel some superglue is needed....

I'm ready for the padding now.

bBD735M.jpg

ZD8f2oR.jpg

0S2R7Sf.jpg

eK9yE23.jpg

8exmIaS.jpg

I've been working on one of the shoulder bells this week.

1. First coat of filler to bulk it out.
I1cAdxz.jpg

2. Starting to shape and smooth as layers are applied and sanded.
1FpjGkv.jpg

3. Spray putty and a sand for the finer holes.
lnCgU0v.jpg

4. Primer filler and a sand in preparation for the final coats.
KeuQL4C.jpg

5. Undercoat of metallic gold.
wvX2vSw.jpg

6. Final coat of anodised red over the gold. Sweet!
UMwYcXR.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back