Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Cant be, Not with the awesome weather we're having right now luscious :cool

This is looking great dude, as its been said very nice pep work.

I must must remember to make a tape dummy!!

That was what i was thinking ModJob

Im loving seeing thease builds since at the moment im building a mk42 to promote the iron man 3 DVD release on 10 of September

sleet and snow ? are you in the uk ?

Cheers guys. No, I'm in Canberra, Australia.

- - - Updated - - -

Ran into some problems with the knee joint aligning due to warping while resining. Here's a video to have a look why and a possible fix. Spread the word!

Sandbagger.

Last edited by a moderator:

could you do some cutting and re align the knee ?

Doesn't look like there will be the need. It seems to be aligning well now. As I said, for the next leg I will tape them all together in position before resining. A bit more difficult to get in there with the resin brush, but at least it will all match up nicely.

Now the inside is slush-cast and the knee is taped tight into position, today I started laying in the fibreglass mat. Thigh and ankle flaps done.

I also found a broken headlight and thought the reflector inside would be great in the chest behind the arc-reactor LED's. I'll trim it to shape and see how it looks.

IvR4hQQ.jpg

1XJKO85.jpg

Continuing on with the leg, I have found that the shape/form of the leg is still not keeping it's shape during the hardening process. I ended up cutting th ebraces out as they were getting in the way and the malshaping had already happened.

I've put a couple of rigid braces using the right length tools and put the heater in one end to see if some heat, time and pressure may help re-shape it.

DerN3Ey.jpg

I've also shot a little video asking if any Pep guru's out there can design some shaped plates to push into these legs and arms etc, to keep it's shape during the hardening process.

Finally, here's a couple of pics of the control flaps that go over the boots at the bottom of the ankle. They fit quite firmly over my pants and work boots, which means once I get the undersuit sorted with padding etc, it should still have plenty of room.

k4zyKKx.jpg

oooRXcQ.jpg

Attachments

• DerN3Ey.jpg
    DerN3Ey.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 150
  • k4zyKKx.jpg
    k4zyKKx.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 119
  • oooRXcQ.jpg
    oooRXcQ.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 178

I started working on the headlight reflector today to go behind the front face of the arc reactor. There looks to be a 50/50 chance I might like it or throw it away.

Gave the collar plates another application of filler, sanded than painted. I think I'll keep going until they are smoother, but they are looking ok so far. Getting it made is easy. Getting it perfect.... well that's another story. It's harder than you might think.

I've been having trouble articulating the elbow joint. It has broken already in two places. Fibreglass is hard, but also brittle. Now I've fabricated some reinforcing aluminium bar to join the upper and lower arm. It's a lot of fiddling about.

How do you guys join the elbow and knee joints on your pep suits?

KRlIPhq.jpg

OVhGo1b.jpg

maT3iOa.jpg

This is looking sweet! I'm loving your idea with the tape dummy, I must make one..
I am also in the middle of making an Iron Man suit, I'm making the Mark 3 but what I really loved about your thread is you mentioned 'Cheers guys. No, I'm in Canberra, Australia.' I found this funny because I also live in Canberra!
Current Progress -
11.jpg

This is looking sweet! I'm loving your idea with the tape dummy, I must make one..
I am also in the middle of making an Iron Man suit, I'm making the Mark 3 but what I really loved about your thread is you mentioned 'Cheers guys. No, I'm in Canberra, Australia.' I found this funny because I also live in Canberra!
Current Progress -
View attachment 225425

Thanks mate! I've had the suit on hold for a while as I am nearing completion of my observatory.

Once that's done, I can continue on with the suit.

Looking really neatly cut have you cut this out your self or have you been using a cameo?

Also slightly off topic that observatory is really impressive i took 25 minutes out of my rpf time to read the build log, loving the stairway

Looking really neatly cut have you cut this out your self or have you been using a cameo?

Also slightly off topic that observatory is really impressive i took 25 minutes out of my rpf time to read the build log, loving the stairway

Thanks mate. I just use scissors. Glad you enjoyed the, "other" build log. :D

- - - Updated - - -

It's been a while since I've had any time to work on the suit, but today I had a little time to put all I've done so far together on the tape dummy to see how it all sits.

I have some major adjustments to do on the waist/cod piece. I'm thinking of cutting the rigid sides off the waist/abs and replacing them with roam rubber. For the cod, all I need to do is cut and extend it slightly to give it a bit more diameter around the hips until the hip-pods are vertical.

At least it's still in the paper stage so that's not difficult.

eddY8fD.jpg

0vxuxVy.jpg

I got nearly a whole day to myself today and with no observatory to build anymore, it was off to the workshop with me!!!

One of the problems I've had with the suit is in the scaling and fitting. The suit is not anatomically correct for a human being, so even if you get the right height and width, some parts just narrow down far too much.

The waist is as such.

The rigid sides that go from lumbar armour around to abdominal armour have been sitting very uncomfortably over my hips and are about 2 inches in diameter too small so it's very tight.

To solve this, I cut the rigid sides off and replaced them with foam rubber mat.

Once I got that done I did a quick test fit. Now that's done I can move onto the cod piece and widen that around the waist too.

v1HYKNQ.jpg

PxHpKYO.jpg

XDKhzeI.jpg

m1nPTjz.jpg

MsYUVuL.jpg

mjxbusy.jpg

oU0ftvB.jpg

Lots of concurrent bits to do while waiting for the filler to set on other parts.

The internal chest/back brace only needs filling and sanding where it shows so I'm not wasting any more bog where it doesn't need it. I will, however, put another layer of fibreglass matt on the inside to make it as rigid as I can.
Fryny0Y.jpg

Where I have used foam around the waist, today I used a wood-burning soldering iron to melt in the joints between the rib plates. I placed a big elastic band around the whole piece to see if I can pre-shape it a bit before I put some heat into it later.
mLx0cQ2.jpg

Getting some more sanding and detailing done on the chest/back. The back is very detailed and has a lot of raised and sunken sections to negotiate with body-filler and the sanding block.
UfHCcPj.jpg

Finally got onto a finishing sand of the abdominal plates so I could give it a paint. The ankle and achilles control surfaces are also on the painting block.
f6tC4Fs.jpg

Got into some serious finishing today. I bought a can of paint that had a GOLD lid, but the colour label said ORANGE. I asked the paint salesman which was correct and he said the colour of the lit was correct.

Looks like he was wrong.

tnyvu3v.jpg

FINALLY!! I found a gold paint that satisfies!

SnPGjcV.jpg

Attachments

• SnPGjcV.jpg
    SnPGjcV.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 179

Now I've got the colours right, I've sanded down the helmet again to prepare for the colour upgrade. Before I do that, I want to improve the faceplate hinge animatronics. I visited an engineer friend of mine and he gave me a solve, but it's something that needs to be done in a machine shop with precision lathing and milling.

Whilst that's great, it departs from the theme of being achievable in the average blokes shed, so I am opting for a solve of my own, repositioning my servo motor and using an aluminium push-rod.

Until then, I'm going to hold off re-painting the helmet.

7l6vUl5.jpg

95YxSmA.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back