The Dresden Files - Bob's Manacles in pewter (finished)

LeMarchand

Sr Member
Recently i discovered "The Dresden Files" and there are some cool props in the show. I wanted to make accurate copies of Bob's Manacles which i finished last week.

I started with the sigils that were posted in an old thread on a syfy forum, but after checking out screencaps from a 720p rip of the show i noticed they needed to be made more accurate.

when the graphics were done, i saline etched them in a strip of aluminium and (with a plastic ring) made a bracelet master. A 2 part mold was made and pewter copies were cast. The castings were cleaned up with sandingpaper and steelwool. I chemically aged the bracelets with ferric chloride which also makes the sigils stand out a bit. The pieces were cleaned up again with a scouring pad and have a nice old look, which will tarnish more over time.

combined they nearly weigh 400 grams and i am very happy with the result :)

Thanks for looking

bscap0692.jpgbscap0732.jpgdresden files bob bracelet 1.jpgdresden files bob bracelet 2.jpgdresden files bob bracelet 3.jpgdresden files bob bracelet 4.jpg

Those look really nice. I could use a set to go with Bob's skull. And it was another great show that got axed too early.

Rick

Thanks people :)

The ones on ebay were already sold, i had them listed for 6 hours, which is a new personal record :)

I am looking into Harry's bracelet, no accurate replica has been done. The hardest part is figuring out the knot and the charms are rediculously expensive

Thanks people :)

The ones on ebay were already sold, i had them listed for 6 hours, which is a new personal record :)

I am looking into Harry's bracelet, no accurate replica has been done. The hardest part is figuring out the knot and the charms are rediculously expensive

Yea, the charms for two cost us about $150 and took a few weeks to arrive because they had to restock. The knot isn't really complicated, it's just a lambskin loop and a button. I'll post a thread with pictures when I finish them.

the loop end looks to have a piece of elastic band sewn on and the knot appears to be done by 2 strands of braided leather

bscap0556.jpgbscap0574.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

in the first screencap i posted, you can see where the people who made replicas went wrong where it comes to attaching the coins, they attached it by stitching it to the band through the small loop that is on the charms. As you can see those loops were taken off the screen used ones and in some scene you can see something was attached underneath to secure them to the band

Yea, there were two different bracelets. The one in the second photo is what I'm using as reference. I used UV adhesive to glue Chicago screws to the back of the charms and removed the loops. It looks like that button is a knot though, you're right there. The loop isn't elastic though, it is leather.

The elastic i was referring to is the type that is also used in clothing. It looks like there is a small piece if it sewn at the end of the leatherloop and the band. Probably so it can easily be pulled over the knot

Beautiful job on the manacles! I have enough charms for Harry's bracelet, but never could get good enough images of the leather work to ever complete mine.

I could definitely see how that being elastic would be beneficial, but it just looks like a separate piece of leather to me. I don't see any weave to it, nothing that tells me it's elastic.

On a related note, how many shields does this thing have? The most I can see in any one screen shot is 7, but it looks like it could have room for 8. If there are 8, you'd have to overlap them 1/4" each to come out with a total length that doesn't make his wrist upwards of 10", and there's no way his wrist is that big.

In screen shot #678, what's the deal with the copper bits on the shields? It looks like the way I held my shields on, except that they're stuck to the front of the shields.

Oh, and how do you think they attached the lace for the knot? In some shots it looks to me like they folded the end of the bracelet over a length of lace and stitched it down, but in others it look like the bracelet thins out and then just turns into the huge knot. It adds to my two different bracelets theory I think.

Hey Marc,

I was the one that picked up your first pair from ebay. I just picked them up from the post office this morning. I wanted to say thanks and that in person, these are AMAZING! I would take pics but yours are way better than any that I could take. And you weren't kidding about these being heavy, but I love that, it's makes these feel very substantial and "real" if you get what I mean.

Thanks again for tackling these.

good to hear they arrived and you are happy with them. Finished a set for my own collection last week and still pick them up every other day and wear them :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back