STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

I have to agree that Filoni really does capture the best of the essence of both the OT and the PT.

As of right now, I think it is fair to consider him the best "standard-bearer" for the Star Wars IP. Not to say I didn't like TFA, R1 or TLJ, but none of them have that long-view singular vision that GL had for the OT and PT, or that Filoni had for TCW and Rebels.

As a side note - I know the whole point of nuking the EU was to give the new generation of filmmakers the freedom to tell their stories without being hung up on 30+ years of comic-book and novel canon, but right now, I am wondering if Ezra and Thrawn will run into the Vong in the Unknown Regions......

Now this is doing Star Wars right! Kathleen take notes and learn.

I've loved every episode of Rebels and thought the finale was great and really liked the post ROTJ ending.

I always thought Dave Filoni was being held back on the Clone Wars by George Lucas's fixation on the prequel trilogy and disdain for the original movies and fans.

I am a little bit worried that the next animated series is going to be to focused on the female characters instead of it being a balanced show like Rebels was, however i'm going to trust that Filoni can keep Kathleen Kennedy's SJW nonsense from influencing the show to much.

Having said that, i love me some Ashoka.

Keep in mind Dave works for KK, I’m sure she is well aware of his talents.

Dave Feloni answered that weeks ago... they promoted her off screen like Han and Lando were in JOTJ.. They were General's as well..

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

"Captain" Solo wasn't commissioned in the Rebel Fleet prior to ROTJ, so they could have commissioned him into the Army as a general without disrupting anything, since they weren't technically Navy. Same with Calrissian. Field promotions. No issue with that.

Captain Syndulla was established as a Rebel naval fleet officer. The rank structure dictates that her promotion to flag officer would make her an Admiral, not a General.
It makes no sense that she'd resign her Naval commission and accept an Army commission.

Naval Captains = O6 pay grade ((equal to a Colonel in the ground force ranks). This does not seem to used in SWU.
Captain Piett, Captain Needa, Captain Pellaeon...

"Captain" Solo wasn't commissioned in the Rebel Fleet prior to ROTJ

Iffy. In ESB, he wore the same brown-with-yellow trousers Luke wore at the end of ANH. Some people say Luke was given a pair of Solo's pants for the ceremony. This always struck me as ridiculous, as Mark was nearly a foot shorter than Harrison. I thought it was perfectly clear that Luke joined the Alliance as soon as Leia vouched for him and they set about getting him a flight suit and uniform. There's a whole lot of other speculation from over the years that the Prequels really messed up, that made more sense than what we ended up with now, like that the uniforms worn by the Alliance were Republic uniforms, the flight helmet decos Republic Navy squadron markings, etc. This was the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and the Empire was a fairly recent thing...

...So a lot of us in the fandom in the early days of the internet, talking about it in AOL chat rooms, on useNET, at conventions... We figured what Luke was wearing at the end of ANH was the old duty uniform of a Republic Navy starfighter pilot, the Dagobah/Bespin outfit an undress/fatigue uniform, and that Han wearing the same pants in ESB indicated he'd joined the Alliance -- but his insisting on wearing his own shirts and jackets was his refusal to give up his independence altogether. But his rank is unknown. General Rieekan only ever addresses him as "Solo". Vader and Fett both refer to him as Captain Solo, but that seems to be based on their knowledge of him as the owner and operator of the Falcon. I doubt the Alliance makes public postings of their promotions schedules.

So despite what the Prequels would later do to the context of things in the OT, I feel the intent of those pants was to show he was more part of the Rebellion than he was the last time we saw him. How much is not clarified. He has to have more clout than a civilian to be ordering around the Echo Base personnel as he was doing, but he addresses Rieekan as "General", implying (to me) a sense of subordinance. Maybe a Colonel? Since it's the Air Force equivalent of a naval Captain, and armed freighters occupy an air-force-y position in the Alliance fleet, from what both the Falcon and the Ghost are shown to be doing.

My way of justifying his "sudden" General-ness in ROTJ over the years. ;) But, if you'll forgive the term, in general they seem to use that rank fairly consistently in Star Wars. Remembering there are multiple tiers of the rank. Definitely much more sensically than "Commander". Oy.

--Jonah

Last edited:
"Captain" Solo wasn't commissioned in the Rebel Fleet prior to ROTJ, so they could have commissioned him into the Army as a general without disrupting anything, since they weren't technically Navy. Same with Calrissian. Field promotions. No issue with that.

Captain Syndulla was established as a Rebel naval fleet officer. The rank structure dictates that her promotion to flag officer would make her an Admiral, not a General.
It makes no sense that she'd resign her Naval commission and accept an Army commission.
First, this was from an interview with the team at LF.
Second, I have no idea how the Rebellion ranks go.
Third, Relax about the little things and just enjoy the stories we do get.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Some cool comparison images from @TheSWU

29103501_1788437351195996_8205487452245196800_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that when the space whales come out of hyperspace, they will probably be in the vacuum of space and that's gonna seriously bum out Ezra and Thrawn (who were standing on the bridge of a star destroyer with all the glass smashed out)?

But then I think about Leia Poppins.....

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that when the space whales come out of hyperspace, they will probably be in the vacuum of space and that's gonna seriously bum out Ezra and Thrawn (who were standing on the bridge of a star destroyer with all the glass smashed out)?

Since Ezra is likely communing with the Pergil’s it’s possible he’s guiding them to deliver Thrawn’s SD to a habitable planet and he can use the Force to create an air bubble around him and Thrawn before they make planet fall.

I took it as the whales are living creatures and they have no problem in the vacuum of space. I figured they generate a pocket of air or whatever around themselves to survive and since they covered the SD, Ezra and Thrawn are inside the bubble. As noted above, too, Ezra is in contact with them to a degree and they know he's there, so they're not likely to abandon them in the space to die.

i thought of that right away... figuring ezra was killing himself and thrawn in space once they leave hyperspace...

BUUUUUUUUUT when gervious destinies the windscreen on his ship and gets sucked out, emergency doors slam over the broken glass...

we also have seen force field doors, blocking the vacuum of space. so i imagine one of those happened once the ship entered/exited hyperspace

at least thats what i tell myself to feel better about that lol

I do wish we could have gotten some more Yavin/Rebel related episodes before the season ended. Would loved to have seen some more of characters and X-Wings from Red, Gold, and Blue Squadron. I also think it would have been cool for Hera and crew to do some sort of mission with Cassian and K-2SO.

Let me be clear. Just because I did not get that, it does not mean in anyway I am disappointed in the series.

They'll change the animation style again and then the hardcore Rebels fans will join us hardcore Clone Wars fans in complaining that it doesn't look good.

I liked the newer style better personally. But to each their own.

Style undoubtedly changed because technology improved. CW had to stick with what they started with. Rebels began 7-8 years later and therefore had more tools/tech at their disposal. Same thing will be true of whatever's next...5-6 years down the road on tech.

I'm kind of glad it ended. The formula of someone getting captured, then them sneaking onto a Star Destroyer or Base to rescue them was getting pretty boring.

Overall I liked where the series went and it had some true epic Star Wars type moments, but it you could see they were really starting to struggle with keeping the story going in an interesting fashion and keeping it kid friendly

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back