STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Wow! McQuarrie style X-Wing and TIEs. I could not be more excited about this. I hope they skip some time after ROTS as I do not care to se Jedi Purge type stories. I am so sick of Jedi. Nothing but Jedi since 1999. I need a break from them.

Interesting. I could be convinced to check it out, based on the timeframe, depending on what the animation style is. I really could NOT get into the first Clone Wars thing due in no small part to despising the Tartakovsky animation style.

Wow! McQuarrie style X-Wing and TIEs. I could not be more excited about this. I hope they skip some time after ROTS as I do not care to se Jedi Purge type stories. I am so sick of Jedi. Nothing but Jedi since 1999. I need a break from them.
I'm sure it wont be all about Jedi...but I'd expect to see them at least on occasion.

I've definitely taken the bait that it will be based on McQuarrie's art hook, line, and sinker.

but I'm almost certain they'll spice that with the dayglow kid friendly design elements that make the prequils and the clone wars cartoons so hard to look at and enjoy.

Finally, a series that isn't based around a fake struggle or has a child murdering psychopath for a main character.... well, at least not yet.

I hope it is 2D cel animation. It has an organic, unpredictable nature that gives it an advantage over sterile CG animation.

If they do go with CG, let's hope they start over on the character models. I think we can all agree the blocky Thunderbirds look of the Clone Wars models was a misstep that nobody ever warmed up to.

I would argue the quality of animation in the Cline Wars in the final season was spectacular and as they have developed their animation technology to that point would suspect they will continue that style.

I was really hoping for a post ROTJ series to lead into Episode 7, but this premise sound fun. Although it does fall into that same issue that many had problems with the prequels and the clone wars (we already knows how it ends).

As long as the stories are good, I really do not care about the animation style. I trust that we will get something cool.

I would argue the quality of animation in the Cline Wars in the final season was spectacular and as they have developed their animation technology to that point would suspect they will continue that style.

I agree. The quality of the animation was great. But the character models of the human characters were just awful. Joel Aron knew how to light it and make it look beautiful, but those human character models given to him were like handing a box of Crayolas to Frank Frazetta.

I am not sure what's with all the hate with the CW animation. People watch anime and do not have a problem with the pointy hair, really round eyes and non realistic mouth. Jeeze, I really hate anime. Now I will admit that given a choice between CW style and a more realistic modeling, I would choose the more realistic approach. But no matter what, I am watching.

awesome... just as I had hoped and predicted in our talk about The Clone Wars coming to an end. I had figured the time frame between Rots and New Hope or at least just before new hope would be done... because with that not only does Vader live again but we still have Artoo and Threepio working for Capt. Antilles aboard the Tantive IV, we will get stormtroopers, and in theory, they could stretch a little and there are still Jedi hold outs that Vader has to "hunt down and destroy" we could even see soem of them visiting Yoda on Dagobah perhaps... a bit of a stretch but GL did have a "list" of those that visited Yoda while he was in seclusion in his bible he handed over to Disney and Kathleen Kennedy... Yoda is a beloved character so why not? Also a young Leia Organa on her "mercy missions" working spy networks while building up the rebel alliance! ooooh I'm so stoked for this!

"Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape. " YES!

Not particularly a fan of the CW style but you could tell it was very well done and it certainly had my kids enthralled. This series spans a time that I think could make for some really cool stories. I hope they do it well!

...Although it does fall into that same issue that many had problems with the prequels and the clone wars (we already knows how it ends).

You must really hate roller coasters. :lol

It is not about the destination, it is about the journey.

CW did a really good job with dealing with many overlying issues that affected or were affected by the war. That type of story really filed out the series and also enhances the actual movies too. I have always wanted to know things about the rebellion.

the fact that Filoni is wanting to use concept art from McQuarrie and the color palette he chose will give it a great authentic look. Filoni was already doing this in CW using many of Joe Johnston's concept art ("Ben" Kenobi's early concept Mandalorian suit is one example) and I always loved picking out little things that only die hard SW fans would understand... this show is going to be really fun!

I am not sure what's with all the hate with the CW animation. People watch anime and do not have a problem with the pointy hair, really round eyes and non realistic mouth. Jeeze, I really hate anime. Now I will admit that given a choice between CW style and a more realistic modeling, I would choose the more realistic approach. But no matter what, I am watching.

I hate anime too. Funny, your avatar looks manga inspired actually.

I think later on, the designs got better with Clone Wars, but when you take a look at the dreadful Dooku and Obi Wan models with those woodcut beards... Ugh. I'm sure Filoni wished he could go back and do a re-do.

I hope everyone involved sees this as an opportunity to redesign character styles and up their game. The fact that they are starting with McQuarrie art is a good sign.

I hate anime too. Funny, your avatar looks manga inspired actually.
:wacko You are correct. It is a modified version of an artist rendering of an anime style TPM Obi Wan (Padme was also in the original image). I have used that avatar in one form or another since I became a member back in 1999 and it is easily recognizable of my account here. Most likely if i had to chose one today, it would not be Anime.

I would rather they continue with the Clone Wars style animation.

The stories in the 2d Clone Wars were great and all, but I think all in all, the 3d series came together much nicer. The series has a distinctive visual style which is very cinematic. I don't know if anyone has had the chance to see Clone Wars on a theater screen, but I've been to two of the screenings at Lucasfilm, and it looks simply fantastic on the big screen. Filoni has basically said that they think about visual presentation from a "big screen" perspective.

I think the title "Rebels" is kind of a dead giveaway that it won't be too Jedi-centric.

This sounds cool. I also don't want to see Jedi all the time, BUT this is the period where Vader was supposed to be hunting the remaining Jedi. On a side note I'd like to here an official number from Lucas on how many Jedi survived Order 66, and then how many were left by the time of the OT.

Really I'd like to see a lot of commando type operations. The McQuarrie concept stuff sounds cool, but the Rebels weren't supposed to have gotten anything as new as an X-Wing until close to ANH. What would be cool is to see them removing the plating from the Y-Wings.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back