STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Maybe Force-users sense everybody all at once and they can't pick up other Force-users from everyone else unless they are outright using the Force.

Depending on when this series is ultimately set I think it would be interesting to see the Rebels before they became the Alliance that we've all come to know and love. I'd like to see the different factions each working separately and even at times competing against each other with the series working towards the time that the different Rebel cells/factions eventually coalesce into the Rebel Alliance.

Very interesting idea.

Very interesting idea.

Thanks. The nice thing about it is that it gives the writers a lot of meat to work with because it then allows them to delve them into the territory in what separates a freedom fighter from a terrorist and just how far they're willing to go and what means they're willing to use in order to overthrow the Emperor. You have the classic, if a bit cliched, do they stick solely to military targets or do they attack civilian targets as well and what constitutes a military and what's civilian, is the Imperial Academy a legitimate target, are government workers/officials fair game, etc.? They could also have factions debating on how best to go against the Empire, whether to stick to guerilla tactics or organize into a more formal military force and engage the Empire in conventional warfare; of course we all know which side wins out in that debate although they could show that some Rebel groups don't join the Alliance, preferring to engage the Empire in guerilla and unconventional warfare.

Bear in mind it's a kids show, so I doubt they'll be tackling the heavy stuff like that. A shame, though, since it's certainly fertile ground for a more sober, adult treatment of the Star Wars franchise.

Bear in mind it's a kids show, so I doubt they'll be tackling the heavy stuff like that. A shame, though, since it's certainly fertile ground for a more sober, adult treatment of the Star Wars franchise.

I think they could still do it. I may be wrong as I haven't watched much but didn't the CW series get more adult as it went on?

Why does everyone associate Disney with light-hearted, always feel good plot points? A few things I want to mention:

• Old Yeller
  • Bambi's Parents
  • Nemo's brothers and Sisters
  • The crew of the Cygnus in The Black Hole
  • Simba's Dad
Need I go on?

I'm not saying they haven't had dark moments in their films, but those are feature films rather than weekly/daily cartoons. Anyone know if they tackle darker stuff, like, say, deeper questions on whether a civilian target is legitimate for a freedom-fighting organization, or collateral damage?

Why does everyone associate Disney with light-hearted, always feel good plot points? A few things I want to mention:

• Old Yeller
  • Bambi's Parents
  • Nemo's brothers and Sisters
  • The crew of the Cygnus in The Black Hole
  • Simba's Dad
Need I go on?

Disney has a very strong dark side and a history of using very adult themes. Another good example is the Hunchback of Notre Dame. I don't have any worries about that for the films. I'm not sure about their TV properties though, it's been about 25-30 years since I watched any Disney series on TV. Do those share the same mood as the films?

A lot of people never gave CW a chance because they assumed it was going to be a kids show in the realm of Droids or Ewoks. I and many of CW fans feel the show followed the feel of the movies. It was very compelling for adults and they never shied away from death in war. Clones dies all the time and not just nameless ones but some you may have gotten emotionally attached to. The killed off Jedi and other characters as well. One of the last few shows, Maul killed a sort of love interest (Satine) of Obi Wan's by impaling her with a sword that had been well established of the past seasons. They did it for the purpose of causing grief to Obi Wan. That's dark and honestly was quite a surprise to me.

Oh, I can't believe I forgot all the Marvel violence and mayhem.

A lot of people never gave CW a chance because they assumed it was going to be a kids show in the realm of Droids or Ewoks. I and many of CW fans feel the show followed the feel of the movies.

I thought that way earlier on, but the last couple of seasons of CW have been really, really good. I think it's been a good combination of that which appeals to kids and also not flaking out when it's time to show death and those things that appeal more to adults - the grittier realities of war. This last season particularly of CW has had excellent animation in definition if not in utter style; I'm not much for the beards that are layered like boards or shingles. But if the Rebels series can do as well, that's a positive for it. And I don't think it can be completely devoid of Jedi; they have to be in there somewhere. They're despised at this point by the general populace so they're no doubt low-key, but Obi-Wan in Ep. IV does say they're all but extinct, meaning at least some if them still survive, and I think probably more than just him and Yoda.

While you're probably right that they'll be included, I am bored stiff with Jedi. I'm ready to get back to regular people fighting against the Empire and trying to make a difference, instead of super-powered boring-ass monks.

While you're probably right that they'll be included, I am bored stiff with Jedi. I'm ready to get back to regular people fighting against the Empire and trying to make a difference, instead of super-powered boring-ass monks.

I'm with you, to an extent... If the power(s) that be at Lucasfilm had left the superpowered bit out of the Jedi repertoire, they'd have been a lot more interesting and a lot less omnipotent. Leaping over tall buildings in a single bound was best left to Superman.

We really can't say that yet. Disney has the resources to create far more content then LucasFilm Animation. They could aim for a different, older demographic with this as a lead in to Ep VII. Clone Wars had no where to go and was a gateway for a younger audience but the new films will have a much more broad based target audience. It's entirely possible what Riceball is suggesting, which sounds great, could be the direction they go and still leave opportunities for shows like Detours or the ilk for a younger audience.

Remember that Yoda and Obi Wan set the beacon to tell the Jedi to go into hiding. It didn't say to form up for a counter strike or perform commando operations. It said hide. That's not to say that some wouldn't be able to sit back and watch, but I think once they heard about Order 66 it would be obvious.

We've seen how people in the real world react to situations like this in Nazi Germany. A lot of people got swept up in the movement and easily turned on their neighbors. I can see the first time a Jedi whipped out his lightsaber to help someone and then everyone that saw it calling the Stormtroopers down on them.

We really can't say that yet. Disney has the resources to create far more content then LucasFilm Animation. They could aim for a different, older demographic with this as a lead in to Ep VII. Clone Wars had no where to go and was a gateway for a younger audience but the new films will have a much more broad based target audience. It's entirely possible what Riceball is suggesting, which sounds great, could be the direction they go and still leave opportunities for shows like Detours or the ilk for a younger audience.

I'd be delighted if that were true. I'd love to see more Star Wars content targeted at adults, and particularly those who grew up with the series (namely: me). I just don't have a ton of faith that Disney's interested in that. I'd love it if I were wrong, though.

Dave Filoni TIE Fighter Pilot teased:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...41263300052.139240.87355540052&type=1&theater

934164_10151599428110053_2073621391_n.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back