STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

If you mean it fit their standard Rebels "Crew goes on a mission, it goes sideways, and they narrowly escape" episode formula, I agree. :rolleyes :sleep
This episode certainly didn't break any barriers but it was fun one never the less. I really enjoy the Hondo episodes, he's a fun character and it's always good to see my "old friend" Hondo in action.

While I was watching this episode it occurred to me that Hondo has become purely comic relief. In Clone Wars he was funny but also a dangerous pirate that caught Dooku.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

Once again I think most here are missing the point of the episode. The series is about the formation of the Rebel Alliance. The series shows us the struggles that Rebels must endure to build and sustain such an endeavor. I used to run a Rebel fan fiction board and I was surprised at how many fans though of the Rebels as something like the US Army who could just order parts and supplies like they had unlimited resources. They neglected to understand they Rebels were in a galaxy in which the enemy controlled almost everything. Therefore I welcome these types of episodes which show what lengths the Rebels must go through in order to operate. Nor only take on a dangerous salvage mission, but also having to work with individuals who do not share their values or who they trust. On top of that, I felt they did an excellent job entertaining me through the episode as well as bringing the Dark Troopers into canon.

Once again I think most here are missing the point of the episode. The series is about the formation of the Rebel Alliance. The series shows us the struggles that Rebels must endure to build and sustain such an endeavor. I used to run a Rebel fan fiction board and I was surprised at how many fans though of the Rebels as something like the US Army who could just order parts and supplies like they had unlimited resources. They neglected to understand they Rebels were in a galaxy in which the enemy controlled almost everything. Therefore I welcome these types of episodes which show what lengths the Rebels must go through in order to operate. Nor only take on a dangerous salvage mission, but also having to work with individuals who do not share their values or who they trust. On top of that, I felt they did an excellent job entertaining me through the episode as well as bringing the Dark Troopers into canon.
Sure, this whole series has been like watching someone kill wolves to up their status in WoW.

"Grinding" does nothing for the narrative. The rebellion has grown since season one. The new recruits should be collecting gear. Our heroes should be involved in a better narrative

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

While I was watching this episode it occurred to me that Hondo has become purely comic relief. In Clone Wars he was funny but also a dangerous pirate that caught Dooku.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC
Absolutely. Hondo now reminds me of some reoccurring character on cheers. A guy that no one in the bar likes, but he has something they want so they have to work with him in order to stick it to Gary's old time tavern.

Sure, this whole series has been like watching someone kill wolves to up their status in WoW.

"Grinding" does nothing for the narrative. The rebellion has grown since season one. The new recruits should be collecting gear. Our heroes should be involved in a better narrative

And that's exactly what they've been doing. They've captured more ships for the Rebellion, found a new base of operations, recruited a couple of new pilots, and just managed to snag a shipment of proton bombs; if that's not "collecting gear" then I don't know what is.

Just watched the episode.

It wasn't bad for humor, but that was just about it. there was no real sense of danger (never is in rebels episodes, even with the Genie like Sith following them).....no real struggle. nothing really interesting going on except throw back designs to keep the nostalgia crowd happy.

The Zeb/Ezra power struggle was stupid, and dropped mid episode with no resolution. suddenly they like each other again and work together to survive.

Apart from the lego adventures, this is the most light hearted star wars yet. IT really does feel like it's meant for 5 year olds to be plopped in front of the TV and entertained for 30 minutes.

Not that adults can't enjoy that, but for me at least, i need something with a little more..oomph to it.

I groaned out loud in some moments at the iron squadron episode. Why does every show on a kid network have to have kids or teens in charge?

Absolutely. Hondo now reminds me of some reoccurring character on cheers. A guy that no one in the bar likes, but he has something they want so they have to work with him in order to stick it to Gary's old time tavern.

Damn you and I must be getting old if I am the only one who go that reference. At least they didn't just play "The Monster Mash" over and over through the loud speaker.

Not that adults can't enjoy that, but for me at least, i need something with a little more..oomph to it.

I groaned out loud in some moments at the iron squadron episode. Why does every show on a kid network have to have kids or teens in charge?

The irony here is that Lucas' version of episode 7 was rejected because it focused too much on teenagers

I dunno... I think it's a valid criticism. I grew up watching things like Star Blazers and Robotech, who had young protagonists, but who weren't kids... G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Galaxy Rangers, He-Man, TMNT... and all manner of other kids shows that didn't have teenagers in the lead roles. Drawing a comparison to Star Wars, the origin for the whole series: Luke was 19, played by a 26-year-old. I sort of consider that the cutoff for realism. Ezra's iffy. Yeah he was 15 at the start of the show, but he'd had a hard life for some years, been on his own, and had to "grow up" pretty fast (demonstrated immaturity notwithstanding). Still and all, I feel the show would be better if Kanan or Hera were the main character. Or if Ezra had been portrayed a bit more like the streetwise orphans/runaways I've actually known over the years, rather than the "happy-go-lucky street rat with a temper" caricature that he has been.

--Jonah

I dunno... I think it's a valid criticism. I grew up watching things like Star Blazers and Robotech, who had young protagonists, but who weren't kids... G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Galaxy Rangers, He-Man, TMNT... and all manner of other kids shows that didn't have teenagers in the lead roles. Drawing a comparison to Star Wars, the origin for the whole series: Luke was 19, played by a 26-year-old. I sort of consider that the cutoff for realism. Ezra's iffy. Yeah he was 15 at the start of the show, but he'd had a hard life for some years, been on his own, and had to "grow up" pretty fast (demonstrated immaturity notwithstanding). Still and all, I feel the show would be better if Kanan or Hera were the main character. Or if Ezra had been portrayed a bit more like the streetwise orphans/runaways I've actually known over the years, rather than the "happy-go-lucky street rat with a temper" caricature that he has been.

--Jonah

The one thing to consider is that both Star Blazers and Robotech weren't originally conceived as, nor regarded as, kids shows when they were created in Japan. As for the others, most of them were created to market their respective toy lines and as for TMNT, you do know that the first T stands for teenage, right?

Well, yes, but I don't know many people who can relate to being a mutant turtle, teenage or otherwise. ;) April and Casey -- both adults -- are sort of the audience stand-in for that series. I've known a lot of kids (myself included) who like one or more of the Turtles... but not nearly as many who can identify with/want to be one of them.

--Jonah

--Jonah
Perhaps if they played Ezra more like river tam, hr might have a stronger arc

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back