STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

I definitely see some some similarities with those Mandelorean helmets and the Rogue one Tank and shore troopers

This show has become completely boring for me. Yeah, I'll still dvr it and watch it, though. I can still spare 22 minutes here and there.

Helicopter lightsabers and astro droids flying more that rolling has just about killed it for me.

This show has become completely boring for me. Yeah, I'll still dvr it and watch it, though. I can still spare 22 minutes here and there.

Helicopter lightsabers and astro droids flying more that rolling has just about killed it for me.

i still find it fun. i think with all the heli-hate we won't be seeing them anymore.

I definitely see some some similarities with those Mandelorean helmets and the Rogue one Tank and shore troopers
While there is some, I get more of a Boba Fett concept vibe than anything else. The regular white troopers seem to be a nod to the original white version of Boba that they tested. Certainly the concept of the Mandalorian is a nod to the original planned concept of Boba Fett being a super Imperial trooper of some sorts instead of a Mandalorian bounty hunter.

While there is some, I get more of a Boba Fett concept vibe than anything else. The regular white troopers seem to be a nod to the original white version of Boba that they tested. Certainly the concept of the Mandalorian is a nod to the original planned concept of Boba Fett being a super Imperial trooper of some sorts instead of a Mandalorian bounty hunter.

Not the colors perse but the change from the T to just the eyes and the middle form really looked like a shoretrooper helmet to me

I'm pretty much the same way. 10 minutes after watching the latest episode I couldn't remember half of it. Combine that with having to fast-forward through toy commercials every 90 seconds, and I'm just about done with it.

I'm pretty much the same way. 10 minutes after watching the latest episode I couldn't remember half of it. Combine that with having to fast-forward through toy commercials every 90 seconds, and I'm just about done with it.

If it can't hold an adults attention, how's it gonna keep a kids eyes from wandering onto youtube on their tablet?

J

If it can't hold an adults attention, how's it gonna keep a kids eyes from wandering onto youtube on their tablet?

J

Because they're too busy asking "What happened? Who is that? What are they doing? What happened?" to do anything else.
Sorry, that's just my experience with a 3 & a 7 year old.

Just last night, my daughter's watching BBC's Life while I get dinner together. Asks me what's happening while I'm in the kitchen. I don't know what's happening, but I can literally hear David Attenborough telling you! Aaaah!

Anyway, both kids really do enjoy Rebels. The easier pace of it and animation are a bit more accessible to them, with out them actually being scared by the action scenes.
I've got to pick up the S2 DVD for them, at some point.

Not the colors perse but the change from the T to just the eyes and the middle form really looked like a shoretrooper helmet to me

Looks more like inspired by the Phase II ARC/BARC helmet from ROTS -- y'know, crossed with a Mando helmet.

latest?cb=20160914002535.png

kind of feeling the same way. although i don't mind the flying droids when it's needed.

the new turtles show is kind of the same way. only that one is not only boring, it just doesn't know what it wants to be and forgets crap all over the place.

Anyone hate how they are drawing the light sabers now? they look WAY too thin and are reminding me of that unfinished shot in ANH where darth and obi battle and you see the flimsy reflective material only of obi's light saber, and it looks like it's hardly there on screen.

Watching the most recent episode has got me thinking, you know how there are some extreme, for the lack of a better term, canonphiles, people who regard everything, and I mean everything, seen on screen as canon whether it's something intentional or a mistake, how would one of these kind of people make Mando Super Commando armor? In the episode we see the armor of the leader flexing in areas where they shouldn't like the shoulder, so if everything on screen is canon would a canonphile feel the need to make the armor flexible as well?

Anyhow, I really enjoyed this episode, I like the nods to earlier concepts for Boba with the commandos and the white armor as well as hints to Sabine's back story. I also like how the Mando leader wasn't killed at the end but left on Concord Dawn to, hopefully, come back to haunt the Ghost crew (no pun intended) later on. It's nice to actually have an episode that's not tied up all neatly with a bow in the end and leaves things opened for more later on down the line.

Watching the most recent episode has got me thinking, you know how there are some extreme, for the lack of a better term, canonphiles, people who regard everything, and I mean everything, seen on screen as canon whether it's something intentional or a mistake, how would one of these kind of people make Mando Super Commando armor? In the episode we see the armor of the leader flexing in areas where they shouldn't like the shoulder, so if everything on screen is canon would a canonphile feel the need to make the armor flexible as well?

I always interpret it as its the information of the story that is canon. After all we know there are visual differences in movies to the show as to how Vader, Troopers, blaster, TIE, etc... looks. And we know that those are not meant to appear different than what we see in the movies.

I look at it this way, you can tell the story of A New Hope in a movie, a novel, a teen reader, a Golden Book, a read along CD. Some images will be different, some do not have images at all, some story content is trimmed down to meet the audience of the reader/viewer. In turn, I feel that even though the tone of the show is made to reach a wide audience slanted to youths, that darker and mature overtones are there. If someone ever decided to retell the Rebels story as movies or say example a Netflix series. The story remains the same but the retelling would be different. the same way A New Hope movie is different from say a Golden Book. Same story... different tone.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:
I always interpret it as its the information of the story that is canon. After all we know there are visual differences in movies to the show as to how Vader, Troopers, blaster, TIE, etc... looks. And we know that those are not meant to appear different than what we see in the movies.

I look at it this way, you can tell the story of A New Hope in a movie, a novel, a teen reader, a Golden Book, a read along CD. Some images will be different, some do not have images at all, some story content is trimmed down to meet the audience of the reader/viewer. In turn, I feel that even though the tone of the show is made to reach a wide audience slanted to youths, that darker and mature overcomes are there. If someone ever decided to retell the Rebels story as movies or say example a Netflix series. The story remains the same but the retelling would be different. the same way A New Hope movie is different from say a Golden Book. Same story... different tone.

I agree, but you know how some fans are, every little difference represents something different to them, every difference in Vader's costume from movie to movie represents an entirely different costume in universe to them. Going by that, would they interpret the flexible Imperial Commando armor as canon and, say, for 501st approval, would any attempts at recreating the armor for costuming also have to be able to flex in the same way? I'm just wondering how far some fans will take "canon" is all.

Btw, here's a couple of reference pics for the stock Imperial Commando armor, figure I'd post these up since Star Wars.com doesn't have the character sheets for this episode yet.

2016-11-07%20at%2011.31.25%20AM%20copy_zpsaurkerff.jpg

2016-11-07%20at%2011.31.38%20AM%20copy_zps5teqzxoz.jpg

And I have a few more in my Photobucket album here: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Riceball/library/Star Wars/Imperial Commandos

Last edited:
Back in Clone Wars, the Clone armor flexed in ways it didn't in the movies -- and, for that matter, the Phase I helmet has no room for a human nose, as designed. I treat the Supercommando armor flexing as storytelling conceit, along with the hypermobile character models (first time I watched the trailer for the episode I had the sound muted, and it really jumped out at me how much Sabine and Saxon were movin' and groovin', presumably to indicate who was talking).

--Jonah

Back in Clone Wars, the Clone armor flexed in ways it didn't in the movies -- and, for that matter, the Phase I helmet has no room for a human nose, as designed. I treat the Supercommando armor flexing as storytelling conceit, along with the hypermobile character models (first time I watched the trailer for the episode I had the sound muted, and it really jumped out at me how much Sabine and Saxon were movin' and groovin', presumably to indicate who was talking).

--Jonah

I don't think that the flexing had anything to do with storytelling as much as it was just easier to animate that way. Chances are that the armor was modeled on to the body with nothing underneath, mean that the head, arms, and legs just connect to the armor with no body underneath so that when they rig it for animation the whole thing moves like it was part of the body or clothing instead of stiff armor. But as I said previously, although most, if not all, of us here realize that it's armor and it shouldn't flex I can't help but to wonder if some in the "everything we see is canon" crowd would argue that the armor (for costuming purposes) should be made to flex in order to be properly canon.

i was confused before and forgot about the time line. i was thinking again before watching the clip from MJF. i thought that was going to be a young dash. but honestly i think all that crew of guys would be too young to be dash right now... i forgot if in the book it referenced his age, but in the N64 shadows of the empire game. dash looked to be the same age, if not a little older then Han.

i will admit, if they announce the name of that ship as the outrider i will pee my pants... heck i'll even take a picture for proof ;)

that 180 he does in the ship and heads back head on to the imperial ship SCREAMS n64's shadows game! oh man i miss that game... shame it was never re released...

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back