STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

I also don't want to see Jedi all the time, BUT this is the period where Vader was supposed to be hunting the remaining Jedi.

All we know is what time frame this falls, but not the exact start. There is no reason the series has to pick up right after the end of the war. Personally I would like to see it start 10 years later, right in the middle of the timeframe.

The purge stuff is not official enough to to be adhered to. LFL has no obligation to follow it. For all we know, the empire never knowingly encountered another Jedi from a few days after Order 66 till Luke.

I do hope we get some insight of the change from clone troopers to Stormtroopers. Are there clones still in existence? If not, why did they stop using them?

I also hope to see how the rebellion is funded. Are there secret corporate backers or just donation of equipment from resisting worlds. Do Hutts worry that the empire may be a threat?

I would also think it would be cool to establish the R Mc art showing two Death Stars being built.

That'd be cool. As far as the animation style goes, I think you can do something along the lines of anime-inspired stuff while still having it look...hmm....grounded? Not necessarily "realistic" or "close to human" but a little less stylized. There are a range of anime styles out there. I didn't see much of the later Clone Wars show, but the earlier one by the guy who did Powerpuff Girls and Samurai Jack I couldn't STAND. Mostly because I just hate his style across the board. It's fine for wacky kids shows, but for something like Star Wars it's TOTALLY wrong. From the still frames I've seen, something like the Tron: Uprising style would be fine. It's still out there enough to be relatable to kids, but grounded enough to look realistic for adults.

Or maybe something like the animation for the missing episodes of Doctor Who: The Invasion. Again, stylized, but still grounded.

:facepalm

:popcorn

It screams classic cartoon and is far more interesting than 90% of what's out there now. Not a fan of the anime style characters but if I can get that colour and dynamic feel in a Star Wars cartoon I wouldn't care. Although nicely animated CW always struck me as very wooden in it's feel.

Last edited:
It'll never happen in a million years but I would squeal like a little girl if it was animated like this:

Star Wars Tie Fighter Animation (WIP) by otaking77077 with sounds SFX! - YouTube

;)

Holy crap that looks great!!! What is that from? Yeah, if they came close to that style for the new show I'd squeal right along with you. Looks very much like Ralf Backache... I never watched the clone wars cause I HATE that crappy style. My favorite was Batman TAS.

Sent from somewhere in time & space...

It'll never happen in a million years but I would squeal like a little girl if it was animated like this:

Star Wars Tie Fighter Animation (WIP) by otaking77077 with sounds SFX! - YouTube

;)

Yeah, I could deal with this too. Keep it as realistic as possible, I don't want any stylization at all!! Yeah, I know this does have a style, but at least there's no pointy hair and huge eyes.. I HATE that crap!!

Skip the dissappearing helmets and this is perfect for me.

Wouldn't it be cool if they did a Star Wars animated feature in the style of classic, lavish Disney animation, like Sleeping Beauty? or even in the style of Beauty and the Beast? All glorious color, hand drawn, with beautifully painted backgrounds?

Amazing that that's probably not even a consideration with Star Wars being owned by, you know, Disney.

I wish someone there would think outside the box and really craft a masterpiece. Something really artistic and hand made. We've always said Star Wars is a modern fairy tale. I'd kill to see some beautiful animation that is old school storybook quality.

I do hope we get some insight of the change from clone troopers to Stormtroopers. Are there clones still in existence? If not, why did they stop using them?

Officially they were Stormtroopers as soon as Sidious declared himself Emperor. It would be cool to see them changing their armor to the OT versions. I think the Essential Guide to Warfare had a pic of them removing their Clonetrooper Phase II armor and changing into Stormtrooper armor. Lucas said clones were still used in the OT. A small percentage were still the Jango line, but it was diluted with lackluster templates. He said some were political favors and things. So if you gave money to the Emperor you could have a clone! :lol Seeing how the troops on Endor were the Emperor's best legion, they would most likely be Jango clones, which makes that all the more ridiculous.

Wouldn't it be cool if they did a Star Wars animated feature in the style of classic, lavish Disney animation, like Sleeping Beauty? or even in the style of Beauty and the Beast? All glorious color, hand drawn, with beautifully painted backgrounds?

Amazing that that's probably not even a consideration with Star Wars being owned by, you know, Disney.

I wish someone there would think outside the box and really craft a masterpiece. Something really artistic and hand made. We've always said Star Wars is a modern fairy tale. I'd kill to see some beautiful animation that is old school storybook quality.

Don Bluth is LONG gone. On the upside, Steam has Dragon's Lair available for like $10. Also, that style of animation is, I think, not cost effective for a long-form TV show.

Officially they were Stormtroopers as soon as Sidious declared himself Emperor. It would be cool to see them changing their armor to the OT versions. I think the Essential Guide to Warfare had a pic of them removing their Clonetrooper Phase II armor and changing into Stormtrooper armor. Lucas said--

Stop.

What Lucas said doesn't matter. For that matter, what Lucas said hasn't made a ton of sense for quite some time. He made crap up because it sounded good in the moment and he didn't take it particularly seriously. Sure, Han should shoot second because killing a dude who had a gun pointed at your head is all murdery unless you let him shoot at you first. Absolutely, old Anakin makes no sense because OBVIOUSLY young Anakin "died" at age 27 when he put on the armor. You betcha, the clones were all Jango until they became prone to favoritism and nepotism, like a filmmaker sticking his kids in his movies.

What Lucas said no longer matters anymore. In my opinion, if it wasn't on the screen, it's just another bit of EU fluff that can be treated like the food at a Chinese buffet: taken or left as the consumer sees fit.

Stop.

What Lucas said doesn't matter. For that matter, what Lucas said hasn't made a ton of sense for quite some time. He made crap up because it sounded good in the moment and he didn't take it particularly seriously. Sure, Han should shoot second because killing a dude who had a gun pointed at your head is all murdery unless you let him shoot at you first. Absolutely, old Anakin makes no sense because OBVIOUSLY young Anakin "died" at age 27 when he put on the armor. You betcha, the clones were all Jango until they became prone to favoritism and nepotism, like a filmmaker sticking his kids in his movies.

What Lucas said no longer matters anymore. In my opinion, if it wasn't on the screen, it's just another bit of EU fluff that can be treated like the food at a Chinese buffet: taken or left as the consumer sees fit.

My hero! :thumbsup

Said it better than I could have. :)

Don Bluth is LONG gone. On the upside, Steam has Dragon's Lair available for like $10. Also, that style of animation is, I think, not cost effective for a long-form TV show.

I guess I was thinking more of a feature than weekly tv series. One of the standalone movies would be a perfect vehicle for a classically animated SW feature. And I was thinking less Don Bluth, more Snow White. Problem is, I don't think there are animator a trained to do that anymore. And I doubt Disney would ever gamble on such an experiment. They will likely play it safe, in the box, and predictable.

I agree with that for the most part. Especially the bit about the EU. However although I would not take it as cannon, I would take whatever Lucas says as something that could possibily happen. But even Lucas changes his mind when it is time to write. Lucas is still on board as a consultant and Lucas is currently Disney's second largest single shareholder after the estate of Steve Jobs so he has influence. After all, he created the SW galaxy so he has a unique insight.

Personaly I support Lucas I everything he has done with the following exceptions. 1. Han shoots first. 2. He should not have directed the Prequels.

Another personal feeling, there is very little I like in the EU. As you know or can tell, I am a Mara Jade fan but I would gladly support her being wiped from the records if it meant a clean slate for the periods before and after the OT. Bring back Chewbacca. https://www.facebook.com/BringBackChewbaccaStarWarsEpisodeVii?ref=stream

Yeah, I know he's a consultant and holds sway, but I find it hard to believe he'd sell the property, and then start dictating plot points from behind the scenes.

Look, don't get me wrong. I have always thought -- and still think -- that Lucas is a TERRIFIC "big idea" guy. His overarching, general concepts are great. It's when he starts getting into the minutiae that you need people around him to rein him in. It's at that point that he's prone to toss out really STUPID ideas like "What if we added a funny Jamaican duck-lizard to the movie? The kids would love that." And then when he starts answering random questions in interviews like "Where did the A-wings come from, and how come one appears in the Droids cartoon from the 1980s?" that he just starts making up random crap.

"Well, the A-wings were originally the front section of a new type of Y-wing. What you saw in the Droids cartoon was actually a prototype that was an escape module from the Y-wing Mark III. The droids remembered it, and after the battle of Yavin, gave the design for it to the Rebels."

"But in past interviews you said the droids had their memories wiped between Episode III and IV. How would they remember?"

"Uh............Ok. Here's how. All droids have a built in 'failsafe' memory bank, which is capable of acting as a remotely controlled data cache. When the droid returns to the presence of its old master, the data is automatically transmitted. So, when the droids were on Yavin, they automatically transmitted the data to the Rebel technician who'd previously owned them. His name was...um...Owen...Mace....darker....Yeah. Owen Macedarker."

"Um...but you just said the droids GAVE the information to them. Now you're saying they automatically transmitted it."

"Uh...."

It's moments like this, which must have happened in early production meetings, that led George to actually come up with the scene where Han is bluffing the Death Star guards over the intercom. Think of all the meetings with Gary and Marcia where George threw out what he thought was a brilliant idea, only for them to say "George, that's a really stupid idea," or peppered him with questions he hadn't thought through effectively. Is it any wonder he'd fantasize about shooting them and saying "Boring conversation anyway..."

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back