Iron patriot build using jackieisrocking and jfcustom files pic heavy

billymaya

Hey guys right so thought it was time to start a build thread. Firstly big thanks to jackieisrockin Iron man pep files and Jfcustoms speed building unfold for doing such a great job and being kind enough to make the files available on the forum :)

So I have previously built a Iron man foam costume last year using stealths files but as it was my first ever attempt it came out ok but not entirely happy with it lots I would change but was a enjoyable learning curve :D

So Thought this year I would have a go at building the Iron patriot from Iron man three I know not everyone likes the armour but I fell in love with it so here is my progress so far :)

My first attempt at the Iron patriot helmet came out where to big but my second attempt was a lot better :D

Helmet finished with neck section

First shoulder piece (not to happy with the glue here) I need to clean it all up once ive completed the suit before paint.

Chest and back completed however once I had finished the abs and cod I relised this was to small so had to redo it :S

Upper torso complete bar the hands

Lots of mess in my middle room that I use for working on the suit :D As it should be :D

And finaly as it stands now looks a bit weird on my dummy but its only held together with parcel tape at the moment

So its all going really well I'm about to start work on the legs and then its ready for prep and paint :). Which I'm going to struggle a bit with as I'm not sure what route to go down. I have to have the suit finished by the 17th of june so as much as I would love to go down the smooth on route I don't think I have time :S So it will have to be plasti dip although getting plastidip over here in the uk is turning into a bit of a nightmare they never have any stock and when its in it sells out within minutes!!!

I was thinking perhaps if I primed it with plastidip but then used a normal spray paint would it still have the elasticity or would the paint layer on top crack where the plastidip primer would bend?

So been doing some research and maybe my first costume cracked because I used normal spray primer underneath the plastikote top coat and so it cracked easily I might have to buy some special flexible plastikote primer to achieve the flex I'm after. Also looking at pvc paint but expensive has anyone tried it?

On a plus note I've printed off and cut out the thigh template this evening ready for transferring to foam :D

Managed to get one leg section finished only have one calf section, The shoes and the hands to do then the build is complete ready for prep and paint :D

Mmmmmm not much love for my little build is it because I'm in the uk lol? In any case here is a little update was trying to get this ready for a show tomorrow but I've run out of blue paint :(

Looking good! I've actually started building an Iron Patriot suit myself, I've made the helmet so far. Hows it look? iron patriot helmet.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good! I've actually started building an Iron Patriot suit myself, I've made the helmet so far. Hows it look?

iron patriot helmet.jpg iron patriot helmet view 2.jpg

Looks awesome dude, have you thought about casting it in a resin for the final coat to help give it a shine?

Looking great mate how long as it took up to yet ??? I'm from uk also woop woop :)

Thanks Picard where abouts in the uk are you? Nice to see another uk builder on here :D I had a two week break where i was busy with work but apart from that its taken me about a month the main problem has been finding the paint to use I've gone with liquid car wraps which is similar to plastidip but easier to get hold of its great stuff the only downside is its not very glossy but i kinda like it the colour it is. Kinda comic book style colours :D

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good! I've actually started building an Iron Patriot suit myself, I've made the helmet so far. Hows it look?View attachment 198613

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good! I've actually started building an Iron Patriot suit myself, I've made the helmet so far. Hows it look?

View attachment 198613 View attachment 198614

Cheers Squabin you're helmets looking ace is it foam? You're colours are looking good also what type of paint are you using?

- - - Updated - - -

Looks awesome dude, have you thought about casting it in a resin for the final coat to help give it a shine?

Hey Zaul thanks for the comments the paint i'm using is a liquid car wrap bit like plastidip but down side is its not got much gloss to it :( I kinda like it in a way as its like a comic book colour. But saying that I'm going to looking into a flexible spray on gloss to finish the suit off :D I want to try the smooth on products when I've got the money to do so :D

im from derbyshire stumbled on this site from watching youtube vids saw stealth vids then saw jfcustoms work hes amazing ,

a month wow thats great i get one day at the weekend so kids are now involved too helping me :)

ive been looking at the poly flo 120 to seal the costume after using the white glue method

ive tried the plasti dip but want to try that method next as hoping to use some flexible primer after then some car paint as will spray it all at work :)

Cool yeah there's some great stuff on here :D Tiz a shame you're not closer I'm in Devon you could of popped round for a cuppa :D. I'm quite lucky with my builds missus is quite under standing as long as i give equal amounts of attention to the family (shes gets a bit fed up of her dining room looking like a work shop lol) and I'm self employed so around the house quite a bit :)

Prob with plastidip is its a night mare to get hold of as soon as its in stock its out again :( the guys at liquid car wraps are really good they always have stock send it quickly and bung in a free can every now and again which is great its really durable and flexible to :D The painting itself seems to be the most expensive thing in the build :( costs me more to paint than to build!

The flexible primer is a good idea i thought about going down that route however if your spray normal car paint on top not sure if it will flex without cracking the primer will flex but the car paint wont i don't thing.Be interesting to try it though. For my last suit i used plastikote which was great as it was glossy loads of colours to choose from but its cracks really easily would be fine on a resined piece but on foam its a bit of a nightmare however its cheap and on my old suit which i have worn to several carnials and events its held up pretty well its just the hair line cracks when you get up close that are annoying.

It's a definite shame as I could of picked up some tips :) have you thought about doing electrics for the helmet ?? Ie wired or wireless ??

I'm trying to make some gloves at the moment for my eldest made my templates so now on to the foam :)

I'm a drawing engineer so work full time so only have the weekends to work on the build :/

I used plastidip on my first helmet which made a great finish on the outside but saw a few builds using the poly flo from a few guys from uk and the paint finish looks remarkable :)

The smooth on stuff seems a great way to go for foam suits I think if you can buy it in bulk it would work out cheaper price wise than the plasti paint although maybe a little more time consuming with the sanding ect but well worth it you're right for the finish you can get with it :D

I'm no expert but if i can help i will just drop me a messege on here :D

Electrics wise I'd love to do a opening face plate and lights but time constraints means I use the el tape kits you can buy on ebay quick and easy and effective for a good price. One day I would like to do a full on pep build with resin and the full works :D

Been told some just use the smooth on on the inside to harden the foam and white glue and plastidip the outside will see how I progress will definetly let you know how I get on as I'm aiming to make it look as shiny as possible :) wow factor lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back