Casting Call: Wonder Woman movie

Father

Sr Member
So... if they ever follow the same formula and make individual movies first, who would you want for Wonder Woman and how would like her costume to be?

I've been playing Injustice: Gods Among Us and OMG!!! I love the Trojan warrior-style costume of the Regime Wonder Woman.
In either universe I like her larger stature/build and how it makes her stand out among the other Amazons.
Injustice Wonder Woman
Injustice Wonder Woman
Regime Wonder Woman

Regime Wonder Woman
Few more pictures

I think someone like Megan Fox [fan art picture here] would be an awful decision.

I'm not crazy about the idea of Kate Beckinsale either. I like her in what she's been in and she's totally hot. But she's too... feminine? I don't know if that's the right word. She doesn't come off as intimidating.

I was watching League of Extraordinary Gentlemen last night and when I saw Peta Wilson. I'm not sure how she looks today, but I think she has a decent build for the amazonian look. Maybe just needs some after-effects boob enlargement.

I think Lena Heady has a good look too. She would just need to bulk up a little to get the Amazon physique.

I also think Rhona Mitra would be an awesome choice (possibly my favorite). There's a fan film that shows her as Wonder Woman... not bad, but I think she would really fit the role in the right costume and actually made up to look the part.

This guy, Jeffach, does some pretty amazing Photoshop work to create a smoking Wonder Woman with a cool (and hot) costume. The girl he used looks to be some stock photo model but she's definitely got the look.

I'm not crazy about whole battling Nazis thing like one fan film. Kind of seems like a rehash of Captain America. I'd rather see them do something where the villain has some continuity through the other movies, if they followed the pre-Avengers formula. Not sure they will or even need to. If the writing is done right they could probably step into JL just having done Batman, Superman and Green Lantern. I love a good origin story as much as the next guy but they could save a lot of time skipping it and still make it enjoyable.

So what say you guys... who would be your pick?

Gina Carano.

As an MMA fighter, she's tough and has the physique:
600full-gina-carano.jpg

She can pull off the glamorous side well:
gina_carano_hot_girl_pinup.jpg

And here's a mockup of her as WW...
Picture%203.png

I think nothing more needs to be said on the matter...

I thought they were already making a Wonder Woman movie. Didn't some stills come out like a year or two ago and everyone hated them because she was wearing pants? What happened to that?

I thought they were already making a Wonder Woman movie. Didn't some stills come out like a year or two ago and everyone hated them because she was wearing pants? What happened to that?

That was the tv show, it got canned before the pilot aired.

AS dbalschi said, it got canned (and thankfully, too. It was more painful to watch than the original pilot for The Big Band Theory or the original pilot for Buffy the Vampire Slayer).

However, the fans weren't in an uproar over her wearing pants. They were upset because both iterations of the costume sucked.

This was the first version, the one that sent fans into spasms of anger:
ap_as_ww.jpg

It looks like if you sweat in it, it'll chafe like crazy because it was bought at a dollar store knockoff bin.

This was the "improved" version:
adrianne-palicki-wonder-woman-hollywood-boulevard-02.jpg

They fixed the pants to an extent, and got the right color boots, but the top still looks like something you'd pick up at an adult novelty store.

They fixed the pants to an extent, and got the right color boots, but the top still looks like something you'd pick up at an adult novelty store.
There really isn't a way to do WW without the costume looking like something you'd pick up at an Adult Store. Even Linda Carter's outfit looked like something you'd buy there (although in the '70s).

I think it's to a point were WW needs just accept the adult-fetish thing enough to get over it. The alternative seems to be the warrior/goddess thing... and well, that seems to be just a little too over the top in the other way. Hard to find a happy medium with this costume (pun not intended).

There really isn't a way to do WW without the costume looking like something you'd pick up at an Adult Store. Even Linda Carter's outfit looked like something you'd buy there (although in the '70s).

I think it's to a point were WW needs just accept the adult-fetish thing enough to get over it. The alternative seems to be the warrior/goddess thing... and well, that seems to be just a little too over the top in the other way. Hard to find a happy medium with this costume (pun not intended).

Well, what I meant by "adult novelty store look" was the shiny latex/pleather look.

No one's mentioned Gemma Arterton? A little short at 5'7" - but has the right look.

Thor's Sif, Jaimie Alexander - might be a great choice, she's a bit taller but a bit older, too.

Out of the two, I would say that Gemma Arterton would be better suited, though she would have to train heavily... like "Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2" heavily. Jamie Alexander's got a toned physique, but she's got a small frame not suited for a bulk-up.

I think it's an incredibly difficult role to cast. You need someone with a somewhat wider frame. I mean in the sense of broad sholders and a broader torso in general (not just busty). You'd probably want someone who's at least 5'7-5'8 or so. Put her in the heels and that'd knock her to 5'10-5'11. You need someone who can either put on the muscle mass or already has it. Wonder Woman is not a waif. Unfortunately, 9 out of 10 female film stars that you'll come up with are far more slender than you'd need the role to be. She'd also need to be classically beautiful. Not pretty, not hot, but classically beautiful. And lastly, she'd need the acting chops. If you're gonna sell this role, you have to be able to crush it when it comes to the acting. That and a good script are the only ways you'll take the role seriously.

The combination of these elements is EXTREMELY difficult to find in a single package, in my opinion. And none of that touches on the costume issues, even. I think this project is a really difficult one to do. Not saying it couldn't be done, but to do it RIGHT? That's gonna be a serious feat. Many women have one or two of the factors, but not others.

Cobie Smulders, for example, absolutely has the face. And she's got the acting chops. But she doesn't have the build and I doubt she could put on the muscle mass to do it.

Gina Carrano has some of the look, but I question if she can act. Also, how tall is she?

I just don't know that there's anyone we'd easily come up with who could fill the role effectively. I think they'd be better off going with an unknown.

When it comes to WW, I'm thinking under 30 (as the studio will want multiple films and a 40 year-old WW might not cut it) - and at least 5'9".

Although there are studio tricks to help out with either.

When it comes to WW, I'm thinking under 30 (as the studio will want multiple films and a 40 year-old WW might not cut it) - and at least 5'9".

Although there are studio tricks to help out with either.

The problem with actresses and celebrities who are 5'9 and taller is that for the most part, they tend to be of the tall and willowy stature. Not many have the kind of frame that would allow for a bulk-up to Wonder Woman standards. Really, the only one I can think of that might be able to do it is Maria Menounos.

The problem with actresses and celebrities who are 5'9 and taller is that for the most part, they tend to be of the tall and willowy stature. Not many have the kind of frame that would allow for a bulk-up to Wonder Woman standards. Really, the only one I can think of that might be able to do it is Maria Menounos.
You're looking at the wrong actresses then :D A quick google search found quite a few lists with tall actresses - a great deal of them not what I'd consider "willowy stature." The problem I see is all these tall actresses (at least on these lists) are too old!

Of course - as I stated above - Hollywood has a way of working around the height thing.

No one's mentioned Gemma Arterton? A little short at 5'7" - but has the right look.

Thor's Sif, Jaimie Alexander - might be a great choice, she's a bit taller but a bit older, too.

Gemma is AWESOME. I love her. If she could get shaped up the right way and they could put some sort of hybrid red-gold-and-blue costume and the warrior costume she'd kill it.

Gina Carano.
And here's a mockup of her as WW...
http://media.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/45811/Picture 3.png
I think nothing more needs to be said on the matter...

I watched Haywire... partly in fast forward because it was kind of turd. She's not a horrible actress and I think with some refinement she is a strong runner up. Good call.

AS dbalschi said, it got canned (and thankfully).
However, the fans weren't in an uproar over her wearing pants. They were upset because both iterations of the costume sucked.
This was the first version, the one that sent fans into spasms of anger:
http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/files/2011/03/ap_as_ww.jpg
It looks like if you sweat in it, it'll chafe like crazy because it was bought at a dollar store knockoff bin.

This was the "improved" version:
http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-c...licki-wonder-woman-hollywood-boulevard-02.jpg

Thank God. The red is almost blinding. Everything is so bright and over the top. She looks ridiculous and definitely doesn't have the right look.

It's a movie, you need someone who can act.

Keanu Reeves in The Matrix Trilogy
Shia LeBouf, Megan Fox, and Rosie Huntington Whitely in the Transformers movies
Any movie with Dane Cook, Rob Schneider, Ahnuld Schvazzeneggah, or any movie featuring a current teeny-bopper.

Your argument is now invalid.

Keanu Reeves in The Matrix Trilogy
Shia LeBouf, Megan Fox, and Rosie Huntington Whitely in the Transformers movies
Any movie with Dane Cook, Rob Schneider, Ahnuld Schvazzeneggah, or any movie featuring a current teeny-bopper.

Your argument is now invalid.

I'll revise:

You need someone who can act to make it a GOOD movie.

And before you get started, I'd argue that Keanu as PERFECTLY cast as a clueless dude in the first Matrix film. And Ahnuld was perfectly cast as Ahnuld in most of his 80s films. All those guys had to do was play themselves.

I'll revise:

You need someone who can act to make it a GOOD movie.

And before you get started, I'd argue that Keanu as PERFECTLY cast as a clueless dude in the first Matrix film. And Ahnuld was perfectly cast as Ahnuld in most of his 80s films. All those guys had to do was play themselves.

Nicolas Cage in his recent movies, where he's gone from acting to just showing odd mannerisms on screen, like how shouts RANDOM WORDS!!!

Gina Carano for damn sure. Not only is she gorgeous, but she can fight, not sure about the acting, still havent seen Haywire, but thats only one movie. Would anyone even care to see a wonder woman movie though? Who are her villains?

Nicolas Cage in his recent movies, where he's gone from acting to just showing odd mannerisms on screen, like how shouts RANDOM WORDS!!!

Depending on the film, that may also be exactly what they wanted. I tend to think it's easy to spot which Nic Cage films those are. How'd it get burned?! HOW'DITGETBURNEDHOW'DITGETBURNEDHOW'DITGETBURNED?!?!?! :lol

Seriously, though. GOOD movies. Not just moving pictures on a screen. You need acting chops. AND good writing.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back