Harry Potter Nursery - making props and items inspired by HP

HarryPotterMom

Hello there. I stumbled across this site today while hunting for Harry Potter replicas for our baby nursery. I'm looking for suggestions on things I can build/make to put in the room. My husband is going to design a bed frame for the crib to look like the dormitory beds in the movies. I want to have shelves and a glass cabinet holding all sorts of Harry Potter items. I'm a massive Harry Potter fan already and have a few things already in my possession that may work very well: scarves, hats, clothing, figures, snow-globes, mini-replicas, book-ends, a G-gauge Hogwarts Express, and many other things.

I've already got some crocheted mandrakes that are little one safe and some small items to make the baby mobile with. I've managed to accrue a collection of misc. bottles and jars, candle sticks, wall shelves, and a couple furniture pieces that I think will go well in the room.

At this point I have no idea how to paint the walls. I was thinking of doing some stone wallpaper on the focal wall (crib wall) and then having some art posters from Etsy and the shelves on the other walls. I have collected all the tiny replica props that were sold in boxes at book stores. They will work well on the shelves. I want to go authentic where I can but simple can be wonderful too. For instance I'm going to use paper mache books and attach the covers of the books from the movies instead of trying to do it with actual books. I want them to be super light weight so they can be easily moved and won't weigh a ton while being stored.

I think that's enough info, please help with any and all ideas! Thank you!

Where's all that stuff gonna go once the child is old enough to decide he/she doesn't like Harry Potter?

First let me welcome you to the RPF. You will have a blast here and get many ideas tossed your way.
Your idea sounds great. If I brainstorm anything great I will post it here.

Again.... Good to have you here and look forward to progress photos of the nursery :)

Where's all that stuff gonna go once the child is old enough to decide he/she doesn't like Harry Potter?

In the den. Or my craft room. Or the living room.... I could keep going but I think you get the point. I'm a massive fan so this is something that I'm doing for myself AND baby. The decor in a baby room is really all about the adults in baby's life anyway. I fully expect the little one to express their own ideas about a theme specific bedroom at some point and then mommy and daddy will go about crafting the new theme. (Daddy already has 5 thousand ideas on any number of different movies/shows.)

;) But I highly doubt that the little one being a fan will be a problem because we will be reading the books to him/her, showing the movies, and when they are old enough to go and enjoy it... a trip to Universal's Harry Potter area at Islands of Adventure. We already have season passes and have been a dozen times. Plus Universal is expanding the area into the other park and making a "London" area complete with Hogwarts train to ride between the two parks/HP lands.

@ MovieFreak - Thank you for the welcome. I can see there is a million subjects that will interest me already! I'll post things as soon as I get them done. Writing out the list of things I already own was rather fun. Then going through all the random items I have that look like they could fit in on a HP movie set was pretty neat too. I have a bunch of things that just need a coat of paint or a label and they'll be all set.

I came up with a great idea to make one shelf of the book case and owlery. Probably use moving box quality cardboard and then cover it. I'll cut curved little cubicles into the front and then use random owls in it. (I want to keep it light since it will go at the top of the case and need to be easily moveable when space becomes an issue, so that's why I want cardboard) I need to draw up a sketch of what I'm thinking because this is one of those I can start on now.

Welcome :)

The replica paper props section has an abundance of HP stuff. For ideas, well I lack the imagination or room where I live to think of anything creative. But I can't wait to see pictures whenever you get started.

Wait I thought of something, what about getting your hubby to make a mini broomstick mobile for above the crib :lol

Harrypottermom, you are going to have a blast decorating with HP themes; I know I have. If you get a chance, take a look over one of my albums here ( PotionMistress's Album: HP Home Decor ) I have decorated 3 rooms with HP themes and perhaps something will give you a few ideas for your own projects.

HP is so rich with potenial for collecting and decorating that it is almost overwhelming. Your love of HP is shared by many on this forum, and you will get loads of encouragement and help here.

You will certainly have fun with it!

Harrypottermom, you are going to have a blast decorating with HP themes; I know I have. If you get a chance, take a look over one of my albums here ( PotionMistress's Album: HP Home Decor ) I have decorated 3 rooms with HP themes and perhaps something will give you a few ideas for your own projects.

HP is so rich with potenial for collecting and decorating that it is almost overwhelming. Your love of HP is shared by many on this forum, and you will get loads of encouragement and help here.

You will certainly have fun with it!

Welcome :)

The replica paper props section has an abundance of HP stuff. For ideas, well I lack the imagination or room where I live to think of anything creative. But I can't wait to see pictures whenever you get started.

Wait I thought of something, what about getting your hubby to make a mini broomstick mobile for above the crib :lol

Strickler - Thanks :D The broom idea is very cute. I just need to make sure it's ok for baby. I found some cute crocheted items on Etsy and I think one may be a broom. The others I planned to get are a mandrake, snitch, a potion, Luna Lovegood radish, and possibly the fruit that hangs funny from trees. They are supposed to cat toys but they are the perfect size for a mobile! (And the maker said she'd do the ones I want with no catnip. ;) )
PotionMistress - Those are some pretty awesome rooms. I love the window with Hogwarts in the distance. I had a similar idea myself. I have the frame that will look like a window, I just need the image. I really want to concentrate on the first 2 movies for decor because they have a nice and light juvenile feel. I'm going to purchase some things that aren't from the first two because it will be loosely based on them and there are some things that are too neat to not pick up! (The Triwizard Cup lamp - perfect size for the room on a shelf but from #4) Where in the world did you get that gigantic phoenix/Fawkes look a like? He's awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitively have the Hogwarts Express running on tracks around the top of the room. It will be out if reach of the baby and work just look cool :)

Welcome to the site!!!

As some people have mentioned, much of the paper props from the Potter world are available to replicate. The paper props thread is a great place to start! The candy boxes are always a nice touch too. You've got to make at least a corner available for a honeydukes display!

You should hang an armillary sphere in the center of the room, or near the window. You should keep a plush doll of Lily Potter on the floor near the crib to simulate her death. You should stick a decal of Arthur Weasley's blue car on the bedroom window to simulate when Ron and the twins rescued Harry from Dudley's extra bedroom.

You should hang an armillary sphere in the center of the room, or near the window. You should keep a plush doll of Lily Potter on the floor near the crib to simulate her death. You should stick a decal of Arthur Weasley's blue car on the bedroom window to simulate when Ron and the twins rescued Harry from Dudley's extra bedroom.
red4 - I like the Car one but the Lily doll? Seriously? It's a baby's room.

Definitively have the Hogwarts Express running on tracks around the top of the room. It will be out if reach of the baby and work just look cool :)

Welcome to the site!!!

As some people have mentioned, much of the paper props from the Potter world are available to replicate. The paper props thread is a great place to start! The candy boxes are always a nice touch too. You've got to make at least a corner available for a honeydukes display!

Moviefreak - My husband was thinking the same thing. We just have to purchase enough track to do it. But I also though it would just look cute sitting on some track on the shelf up high. I wanted to pick up the one from Noble but the cost was prohibitive. There are SO many things we want to do that we have to watch what gets the big $$$. Thankfully Amazon had a steal on the train for less than $50! (It's normally $120+) I'm ordering the mobile parts today and then we are off to the Wizarding World this weekend at Universal to get loads of pictures from the Hogwarts castle and Hogsmeade and maybe pick up a Ford Anglia since they seem to cost ridiculous amounts now online. Universal is already 1/3 of the way through building the new London/Diagon Alley too so I'm hoping to get some in progress pics of the area!
ecl - I found that thread already and I've been pouring over it like crazy.

Also here's a picture of the crocheted items for the mobile: harry potter baby mobile.jpg

I adore the mandrake! There's also a Snitch, I just didn't get it in the screenshot. There will be 3 owls in total - white,brown,and black. Also there will be two mandrakes but one or both may sit on the shelf in these awesome little pots I found today: IMG_9848 (Small).JPG

But that's where Lily died, at the foot of baby Harry's crib.

I'm a fan but not enough of one that every tiny detail has to be right. Also, we aren't making the room like Harry's baby room. We're using the dormitory beds as a pattern to build a bed. Accuracy to little details like that isn't necessary. This is more of a homage to the first two movies than anything with a few nifty props from other movies thrown in just because. (Like the potions they mention in every movie will be on the potion shelf to fill it out.)

PotionMistress - Did you make or buy the Skele-grow bottle and the spine candle? I love both. I want to do a potions cabinet and reproducing the skele-grow would be fantastic.

@PotionMistress - Did you make or buy the Skele-grow bottle and the spine candle? I love both. I want to do a potions cabinet and reproducing the skele-grow would be fantastic.

Yes, I made the Skele-Gro bottle myself years ago, but the spine candle was purchased from The Noble Collection and is no longer available (it’s also quite rare and expensive). I have made so many HP items for myself and others, and that is what is most fun about the Harry Potter milieu: letting your imagination run wild and trying to come up with appropriately themed pieces.

I have also collected TONS of licensed HP items over the years and there are some really fun things for smaller children. There are still some great things to be had for kid’s rooms, like stuffed creatures, Dobby pieces, cauldrons, games, figures in all price ranges, banks, globes, banners, pillows, etc. I recently gave a soft Hedwig plush pillow to a nephew who is 2 and he just loved it.

Is your little one here yet - Boy? Girl? If so, how old?

You definitely will want to keep safety in mind for everything, but that should not limit you much.

Yes, I made the Skele-Gro bottle myself years ago, but the spine candle was purchased from The Noble Collection and is no longer available (it’s also quite rare and expensive). I have made so many HP items for myself and others, and that is what is most fun about the Harry Potter milieu: letting your imagination run wild and trying to come up with appropriately themed pieces.

I have also collected TONS of licensed HP items over the years and there are some really fun things for smaller children. There are still some great things to be had for kid’s rooms, like stuffed creatures, Dobby pieces, cauldrons, games, figures in all price ranges, banks, globes, banners, pillows, etc. I recently gave a soft Hedwig plush pillow to a nephew who is 2 and he just loved it.

Is your little one here yet - Boy? Girl? If so, how old?

You definitely will want to keep safety in mind for everything, but that should not limit you much.
PotionMistress - Our little one is due in November. We find out boy/girl in July. I'd been trying to decide what to do for the nursery for weeks now and we were thinking Star Wars or Doctor Who but they seemed more boy themed than anything. I do have some Star Wars shirts for baby but they are easily converted to girl with a bit of lace. Then I stumbled across the film making book on my shelf and looked through it. Lightning struck! I've always adored Harry Potter and have tons of little collectibles already and many things that could work for the theme.

For safety sake we are looking to make plexiglass doors/windows for the shelves that will lock for the things not suitable for little one. That way they will be safe from small hands. I have this awesome set up with my mini reproductions that came in little boxes and items that fit with the theme. They are all way too small for baby so I'm going to put them in a case with doors on the wall. By the time little one can walk and reach all these things though, we will have moved to a new home. (We're planning on getting a bigger house by the time baby is 1 or 2.)

I did just find the Hermione cauldron that she mixes the potions in when she's in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. I was so worried I'd missed it because I thought Noble had it! Turns out it was a Neca item and I got the last one the site had. It's another one of those things I really wanted to pick up and forgot to. We're going to Universal this weekend and I'll pick up the Ford Anglia and possibly the Goblet of Fire replica. I also want to grab a pygmy puff key chain. I think the big ones they made are cute but the key chain one seems more movie scale correct. My local craft store just got some birdcages so Hedwig will have a cute home and they even have little ones I can put the pygmy puff in!

It's my birthday next week and hubby is being super sweet taking me to Universal mainly for shopping/photos/food. I can only go on a few of the rides that have the stationary seats but we're mainly there for the sweet pics we'll get! (I want some pics of mommy and daddy in front of the castle, in Hogsmeade, and by the train to frame for the baby's room.) Thankfully we live close and have annual passes already so it's not a huge expense.

And by the way, amazing job on the Skele-grow bottle! It's great! I think I may be able to find a candle somewhere. I think I stumbled across someone that makes them.

A popular idea for either boy or girl could be dragons, which fit into HP and many other themes. You could paint one on the wall (a not-too-scary one). I had this idea once, which might seem a little weird, but to attach a tissue (Kleenex) dispenser (or make it baby wipes) at the junction of the dragon’s mouth (see quick pic) which could be fun and also practical. Just an idea.

TissueDragon.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back